• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Quit Skiing - No way!

ERJ-145CA

I broke both bones in my lower leg and my tibial plateau this past January participating in said activity. But a couple of weeks after my injury I realized I couldn't wait until I could ski again, in fact I just dreamed I was skiing last night. I definitely will be skiing more conservatively next season and slower. I believe my high speed was what snapped my bones when my ski suddenly stopped after encountering warm wet snow under a snow gun as my bones broke at the boot top. I knew my leg was broken as I was flying through the air and then tumbling down the trail, not a good feeling. That said I fully intend to ski again with the stainless steel plate and screws in my leg and all. I remember one day in the hospital, after one of my surgeries, my dad, who was always afraid of me getting hurt skiing, said to a nurse or somebody "well I know one thing, he won't be skiing again" I replied "I never said that!"

dlague

Still crankin turns at 70 , now its FREE!!! Hell i got motr aches , pains , football knees and a whole bunch o other chit , my chest was crcked open 4 years ago they did open heart surgury and i,ll be damned IM STILL up on the boards Dammit . i go to the damn gym 3 days a week everything aches like bastid BUT i AINT quittin till the head coach say i need ya on MY team up here big boy !

Gotta love it! I plan on doing the same! I have plenty of other activities (kayaking, road/MTN biking, surfing, hiking, beach going, etc) that I can do during the summer months to the point where I have sports ADD. However, nothing gives me the freedom and feeling the skiing does! I will keep it up as long as I possibly can! Just plain giving it upwhile you still can? No way!

maineskier69

Not to sound like a broken record, but we are sure going to miss having you around in New England Snowmonster...

And this is my 200th post to boot!

The only way I'm quitting skiing is if I move to a country without any snow. :snow: Oh, I forgot, I am moving to country without any snow!:angry:

snoseek

The only way I'm quitting skiing is if I move to a country without any snow. :snow: Oh, I forgot, I am moving to country without any snow!:angry:

Whoa....I'm regretting not figuring it out on the hill when i got back this spring...oh well.

You got couch space in tahoe of course.

Warp Daddy

Totally agree with Marc and Scotty , AZ Ambassador to the Far East : our main man SNOWMONSTER . Sides which any of us need a fine surfing consultant we have the Ambassador for technical and travel advice :beer:

snowmonster

There is always vacation :)

Not to sound like a broken record, but we are sure going to miss having you around in New England Snowmonster...

And this is my 200th post to boot!
I nominate Snowmonster to be the Official AlpineZone Far East Correspondent. :beer::):beer:

I second that nomination! He already is in my thoughts but we should make that official, SM is an inspiration to all winter lovers.:):)

Whoa....I'm regretting not figuring it out on the hill when i got back this spring...oh well.

You got couch space in tahoe of course.

Totally agree with Marc and Scotty , AZ Ambassador to the Far East : our main man SNOWMONSTER . Sides which any of us need a fine surfing consultant we have the Ambassador for technical and travel advice :beer:
I accept the nominations. Thanks, guys! Does this mean I get diplomatic immunity so I can ski in North Korea: http://unofficialnetworks.com/worlds-newest-ski-resort-located-north-korea-122678/

Seriously, I thought of hanging it all up but I just can't. Although I'll be selling a whole bunch of gear (wait for it if you're in the market for some well-cared for skis and maybe some tuning equipment), I think I'll keep a ski stateside so I can take a vacation to New England, Utah or Cali (thanks for the couch space, snoseek) and ski with you fine folks. I'll also take a pair to the Philippines and see if I can arrange trips around Asia. They say Japan is like skiing in Utah (or better) and South Korea is an amazing place for BC. With the Olympics coming to Pyeongchang, So. Korea, I may just be well-placed to take advantage. Then, of course, there's China, India (Gulmarg) and New Zealand. If I can earn enough money to travel, the possibilities can be endless on the other hemisphere. Of course, TRs will follow.

A few seasons ago, I was reading a book on skiing around the planet, The White Planet. The author was skiing in all these out of the way places -- Morocco, Lebanon, Turkey, etc. It really is one world under snow. Perhaps, this could be the next chapter of my ski life. Stay tuned.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Seriously, I thought of hanging it all up but I just can't.

thumbup.gif

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
I don't believe you ever seriously thought you were going to give it up. Not subconsciously anyway. You can tell from the quality of your TR's.

Been to Chile and Argentina. Always wanted to go to New Zealand. Long flight!

JimG.

Staff member
^ It's hard to walk away, man. Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to skiing the far side of the world with you.

Won't be next season, and I have my second college student going off September 2014, so it probably won't be the next season either. Even with scholarships college tuition puts a hurt on the wallet.

But it would be pretty cool to go to NZ in 3 years and ski with someone I am acquainted with.

dmc

If you need Gulmarg beta... Give me a shout...

snowmonster

Won't be next season, and I have my second college student going off September 2014, so it probably won't be the next season either. Even with scholarships college tuition puts a hurt on the wallet.

But it would be pretty cool to go to NZ in 3 years and ski with someone I am acquainted with.

I'll have to earn the money to get there first so 3 years sounds about right. See you at Craigieburn!

If you need Gulmarg beta... Give me a shout...

I hope to give you a shout someday.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
can't really fathom the thought. It's June 27th and I'm already getting together with a girlfriend to plan our first hut trip! :snow: