• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged gets a new GM

Newpylong

Looks like lots of uncertainty for sure. For my location near Ragged we are currently forecasted for several inches of snow followed quickly by rain as things get into the 40s Wednesday. Let's hope it doesn't get worse than that,

Re: Cardigan, ask and thou shall receive. It's shutdown and they are coming online on FY. The automation on that trail is pretty cool.

Last edited:

NYDB

I’ve no idea why you come to this forum. Most of your posts are to criticize other posts.
he's deeply embittered about being forced to move back east and uses this forum as an opportunity to lash out at random people on the internet.

I can't blame him really. it's a sad story.

machski

Looks like lots of uncertainty for sure. For my location near Ragged we are currently forecasted for several inches of snow followed quickly by rain as things get into the 40s Wednesday. Let's hope it doesn't get worse than that,

Re: Cardigan, ask and thou shall receive. It's shutdown and they are coming online on FY. The automation on that trail is pretty cool.
Everything I've seen says mstly R@!n now, all the way and including Jay. Most NE locations may start off with a good burst of snow (give or take 6") early (as in Maine resorts) but then go to R as well. Seeing 1-2" R in Southern NH possible, even Maine where they see that 6" snw first could get an inch of R on top of that. Lovely, at least Thursday won't go shock freeze so maybe we get some drain and drying first and conditions groom out well for MLK. Hopefully that round in the forecast is white, but that is too far out to hope for at this point.

Newpylong

Still dropping the snowaking hammer. Barnyard Terrain Park, Lower Chute Bordercross, Ragged Andy, base area, Upper Ridge, Headwall and Crewcut.

Should see Lower Ex soon looks like they're done there.

BodeMiller1

Cannon can inflate snow depth because it holds snow.
The top pod could ski well into June most years. Butt, the bears and little birds win out.

Newpylong

They make the same amount of snow more or less on Showboat every year and this one is no different. Yes it's a lot but walk down that trail in the fall, it's all boulders. There is also extra contrast to bare ground this year because we've only gotten like 2" of snow all winter so far.

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
They make the same amount of snow more or less on Showboat every year and this one is no different. Yes it's a lot but walk down that trail in the fall, it's all boulders. There is also extra contrast to bare ground this year because we've only gotten like 2" of snow all winter so far.
It still overkill. The other side is skiable without snowmaking. The side they pile all that snow cover any rocks in about 5 feet and more. It’s really not necessary. I’m willing to bet there are other slopes in the northeast that have similar scree fields that don’t get that kind of depth.

chuckstah

So, I'm not a Ragged skier, with only a few visits lifetime and this could be off base.... but, instead of blowing 15 feet of snow every year for a decade plus (?), why not spend a bit of summer time to grade and remove the rock garden that supposedly requires 2 weeks of snow. Is it that bad?

Reactions: Edd

Newpylong

There isn't 15' of snow there and they cover Showboat in 60 hours minus the snow bridge they have to build due to the fact that DES won't let them alter the drainage. That takes longer but they do it with extra capacity while hitting neighboring trails (Showboat is the Spear feed line).

That said I think if folks are that angry or just curious about the practice they should provide that feedback to the mountain. I've provided all the info I have on it. 😀

drjeff

Guessing this is example #1001 of where the folks who are actually running the resort, making the snow and pushing it out, and have been doing it in a specific way for years, know way more about the reasoning behind their decisions than the key board warriors of AZ! ;):)

Keelhauled

You guys are totally right, we all should definitely make less snow because the winters are so reliably cold and snowy these days that there's no possible chance of a thaw washing away any of the natural base.