• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged gets a new GM

Edd

So, I'm not a Ragged skier, with only a few visits lifetime and this could be off base.... but, instead of blowing 15 feet of snow every year for a decade plus (?), why not spend a bit of summer time to grade and remove the rock garden that supposedly requires 2 weeks of snow. Is it that bad?
Same question, as I’ve no idea how much trouble such a project would be. I’d wonder if the trouble of removing the boulders would pay off in reduced snowmaking costs.

Innocent question, not a Ragged skier/expert either, honestly curious.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Same question, as I’ve no idea how much trouble such a project would be. I’d wonder if the trouble of removing the boulders would pay off in reduced snowmaking costs.

Innocent question, not a Ragged skier/expert either, honestly curious.
Removing all the rocks would cost a fortune and ruin the mountain. That’s not the answer.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Just wondering if they cover all the rocks how would it ruin it? Unless you are talking about non ski season ruin it.
Adding fill might not ruin the mountain but it would still cost a fortune. The ravine is a good example. My understanding is that it was not always there. Mismanagement allowed it to form. Now the environmental impact of filling it in permanently is too great. I imagine it’s the same with the scree field. I don’t know if it’s ever been studied.