• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rate Your Early Season 2023-2024 So Far....

Smellytele

C-
One day a K northridge (ski down walk up), 1 day at Loon (with Cannon not open day after Thanksgiving). Was supposed to hit Bolton today but opted for Cannon tomorrow and Wednesday. Bolton next weekend.

Hawk

If I was to compare this to the 30 plus years of early skiing I would say it is a D or lower. There were so may years that I have skied in October at Sunday River when the early season battles forced earlier opening and had 20 days in by now. Sking pushover for 2 weeks was blah. I missed this week because of work. The work thing is going to end soon and I can join the ranks of Kingslug and others that can ski at will.

slatham

If I was to compare this to the 30 plus years of early skiing I would say it is a D or lower. There were so may years that I have skied in October at Sunday River when the early season battles forced earlier opening and had 20 days in by now. Sking pushover for 2 weeks was blah. I missed this week because of work. The work thing is going to end soon and I can join the ranks of Kingslug and others that can ski at will.
Wow sorry Hawk. Skiing Pushover for 2 weeks is bad enough but to then miss this week, which I see on social media was sweet, that hurts.

Snowgods will pay you back I am sure.

machski

True on the later starts as of late but I think that has less to do with the lack of early open battles pushing resorts and more the weather cooperating with decent production windows earlier in October. I am sure K for one would take advantage of a good October window if only to jump the K-Cup build on SS and they haven't really been able to do that since pre pandemic years.

BodeMiller1

Slipped on ice and reinjured an old left knee. I don't really start until mid December. So, a B-.

Edit: The white ribbon of death is real. In the spring you have some long falls if you catch a ski on the trails that have 20' of man made. Never had this happen. Early season, crowded and snow to boiler plate ice. Not my thing...

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Bit of a late start - no Oct. skiing again.

Normal Peak Stairway at Killington until almost Thanksgiving. Minimal terrain elsewhere thru Thanksgiving. Things are picking up in early December.

Not sure when early season ends, but if it is Xmas week, the early season still has time to move up. But to date, I'd rate it C to C-.
After a lot of good snowmaking weather and a lot of open natural snow terrain, especially in VT, I'll update the early season a C+.

zyk

I usually don't start until January, but this year November 16 with no walking involved. 10 days in and all have been good. Only one with significant natural, but that's ok. An A for me, but probably a C or less to most here.

ThatGuy

Day 1 yesterday - Beautiful weather, great snow, firmed up late in the day sans sun.

Most importantly it was my 4-year olds first ever day on skis. Another life of skiing begins
Love to see it! Yesterday was beautiful, the woods off Saddleback are skiing great

jimmywilson69

F

I was considering going to Jack Frost tomorrow, but pretty sure my wife would kill me since I have a lingering home improvement project that needs to be finished. Plus I'm doing a 3 day weekend in VT next weekend. I can wait for some "big boy" skiing I guess :ROFLMAO:
Up to a B+ as last weekend was pretty good. Had a groomer day at Okemo on 12/8. Not terrible, but snow quality was not that great. Still felt good to be on snow. Saturday 12/9 at Stowe was fantastic. Lots of natural snow on steeper trails. I was Physically beat by lunch. Great mostly sunny day, lines were manageable. Sunday at Killington was good, but fog had settled in on the mountain about 1/2 way up. It was warm, pre-rain so the snow was soft. Only had about 10 runs in me. Good first weekend of the season.

Hoping my local mole hill in PA opens this week, but its going to be close unless they can get enough snow down the next 2 nights. Monday's weather even is not looking good for anyone in the east... :(

4aprice

If Christmas is the official end of the "early season" (which it is to me) I will come in at 9 days. Best day so far yesterday believe it or not in the Pocono's which was much better then my expectations. Give the early season a straight C, however I am pleased with how the muscles are reacting and will really step it up after the holidays. Also hearing rumors of a pattern change and colder air on the way. There's certainly no shortage of water to turn into snow.

Smellytele

If Christmas is the official end of the "early season" (which it is to me) I will come in at 9 days. Best day so far yesterday believe it or not in the Pocono's which was much better then my expectations. Give the early season a straight C, however I am pleased with how the muscles are reacting and will really step it up after the holidays. Also hearing rumors of a pattern change and colder air on the way. There's certainly no shortage of water to turn into snow.
Don’t see any chance of snow until at least 1/5. While things could change (and will that far out).

cdskier

Using that same measure...I'll come in at 0 days and overall give it an F. With the exception of the 2020-2021 season with all the COVID restrictions where I didn't start until MLK weekend, this will be my latest start since I started keeping track in 2010-2011 season. My goal at the moment is to finally make it up to VT after Christmas during the week sometime. Not a big fan of the weather forecast so far though...but I need to at least get up to my condo and try to get out a bit to start to get my legs used to skiing again.

4aprice

Don’t see any chance of snow until at least 1/5. While things could change (and will that far out).
Where I am and will be skiing over the next 2 months or so, we don't need snow from the sky right now. Cold and dry is the ticket. A good 10 day window and most of the mountain will be open. The fire power is there and the snow making pond is full

IMG_3137.JPG
IMG_3134.JPG

Storms like in the pictures above are needed the most. Then when the base is down and natural falls on top of that is when the Pocono's are at their best.