• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Resort Improvements for 2016-2017

dlague

We have heard about Cannon's t-bar and the potential lift addition to Whaleback but are there other sinificant lift additions or other types of improvements elsewhere?

I know Vail added a new lift called Sun Up Express Lift (#9) to their back bowl which I am excited to try.

Jully

Suicide Six new quad chairlift I believe.

Potential Ragged Snowmaking pond, though I bet that gets deferred a year.

Hawkshot99

Talking to people in various marketing departments, I asked the same question. Most of them just laughed, and said they were happy the mtns could make it through last season.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Big addition to Creekside Lodge at Snowbird will double the size of that lodge; one or two new lifts at Pow Mow.

dlague

Well if we're going to mention structures the new Stowe Adventure Center & Stowe Mountain Club Lodge pretty much blows everything away. $80M I here. Saw it myself a few weeks ago, wow. Underground parking to boot.

Where is that located opposite side from Spruce?

mbedle

All the "improvements" at Stowe make me sad.

Come on - while I can understand the crowd that wishes it stayed like the olden days, it really is pretty kickass as far as east coast resorts. The spruce lodge is really nice and has some great food. Plus we still have the Mansfield lodge and the kick ass Den.

BenedictGomez

Come on - while I can understand the crowd that wishes it stayed like the olden days, it really is pretty kickass as far as east coast resorts. The spruce lodge is really nice and has some great food. Plus we still have the Mansfield lodge and the kick ass Den.

It's really the fact that I worked in the old Spruce Lodge and it was knocked down, and that I liked the quiet simplicity of Spruce. It went from quiet and quaint to Grand Central Station during commuter hours.

thetrailboss

Staff member
#1 16/17 improvement is that Q jr won't be running Burke.

And they have done snowmaking work. Dredged the pond, fixed an intake pump at the river, and fixed some other things on the system that Q refused to fix. They have also said they will rent air compressors to bring their air capacity back to what it once was.

cdskier

I know Sugarbush did some more snowmaking work (although not sure if anything blatantly visible). They fixed the dam that diverts water from the Mad River to their snowmaking pond. I think I remember hearing they did some compressor/pump work as well. I also saw some digging on the Heaven's Gate web cam earlier this summer which appears it could have been snowmaking pipe replacement work...

mbedle

It's really the fact that I worked in the old Spruce Lodge and it was knocked down, and that I liked the quiet simplicity of Spruce. It went from quiet and quaint to Grand Central Station during commuter hours.

That is true - it gets very busy on the weekends, but like the rest of the resort empty during the week. Still has the goto lift when others get packed on the weekend!

jimmywilson69

That is true - it gets very busy on the weekends, but like the rest of the resort empty during the week. Still has the goto lift when others get packed on the weekend!

I love lapping the upper Spruce trails on the weekend when its busy. Whirleaway and Upper and lower Smugglers are some of my favorite natural snow trails.