• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ride of a Lifetime

MadMadWorld

In hindsight it probably have been better to let the ice hit him instead of protecting himself but I probably would have done the same thing. That guy is ridiculously lucky.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know absolutely nothing about ice climbing, but do they not use anchors and ropes like regular rock climbing? Seems like there must be some type of safety precautions that could've been taken to prevent such a nasty fall for such a distance.

timm

Was this "ice climbing"? Looked more like mixed snow and rock to me but what do I know. I was also wondering why the group wasn't roped up but again what do I know.

MadMadWorld

I know absolutely nothing about ice climbing, but do they not use anchors and ropes like regular rock climbing? Seems like there must be some type of safety precautions that could've been taken to prevent such a nasty fall for such a distance.

I know a bit about ice climbing and yes the dude was clearly trying to be hardcore by not using a picket/screws and rope. Some people just like the rush. To me climbing up a face like that while being anchored is still a massive rush.