• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sad Day in Burke History

thetrailboss

Staff member
This week the Willoughby Quad came down. Apparently an inspection of the summit bullwheel terminal revealed cracks in the concrete foundation and the insurance carrier, perhaps worried about another North Ridge Triple-esque incident, ordered that the lift be removed or the terminal repaired. Crews removed chairs last week. This week mountain ops assisted by Poma removed the haul rope. No word as to when the remains will come down or where it will go, if anywhere.

This was the first double chair for Burke, built by Doug Kitchell after he bought the mountain in the 1960's. The Hall Double ran from about 1966-1988. The chairs had wooden slats and at least one AZer has a chair in his yard. Here is a photo from the 1970's of the Willoughby Double:

bu5.jpg

After Kitchell went bankrupt in the 1980's, Boston real estate developer Paul Quinn bought the mountain and began developing condominiums. His big mountain infrastructure improvement was to retrofit the Willoughby Double as a fixed grip quad. CTEC did this in 1988, installing a new terminal, reinforcing the existing towers, installing new tower heads and line gear, and new chairs. Counting the Receiver and creditors, who at least temporarily owned it, during her lifespan as a quad she saw at least eleven owners. It was my first quad chair that I rode in 1991. The engine could be heard from a long ways away at the mountain and I will always remember the "clicking" the bullwheel at the base made. I probably rode it several hundred times...easily.

I have too many memories of her. The Lucky Tree. I've rode it in cold sunshine, dumping snow, howling winds, rain, and everything in between. A classmate of mine stuck his ski pole in one of the sheave trains, shutting it down. He was given the bill for the hot chocolate for the stranded skiers and some of the repair costs. I skipped some family time on Christmas Day 2006 to go skiing, despite the miserable conditions. Karma got me, despite giving cookies to the lifties, when the Quad broke down on my first run. My first, and only, lift evacuation took place about a couple hours later. In 2007 at the insistence of the original trailboss I partook in my first Torchlight Parade and rode up in the cold February night with friends including from_the_nek. In 2008 I was lucky enough to get a tour of the engine house and some pictures that I will have to post. That season I got the very first, and very last, chair for the season. That was an epic season with tons of snow and I was fortunate enough to be in my last year of school with some time to ski there a lot.

Though from 2005 on there were other quad chairlifts, this was always known as "the Quad" to us locals. For young folks it was a big deal to skip the Sherburne Double and go right to "the Quad."

It was with mixed feelings that the MidBurke Express came into being in 2011. The new lift is amazing and offers quick access with equally stunning views. But for me Burke will always be the Quad. It has been sad for me to see her slow demise over the past few years. Skiing under a quiet chair is spooky.

No word as to if chairs are going to be sold. Stay tuned.

It is sad seeing this old friend put to rest.

From 2011-2012:

Some of my pictures...more to come:

bu2.jpg

bu20.jpg

bu3.jpg

bu4.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
My video from 2008...last day of the season...with the familiar hum of the drive:

Glenn

Small world. My family skied with the couple in the beginning of the video back in the day. My brother was good buddies with their oldest. Skied with them many times at Burke years go.

That's a bummer about the quad. Right before the season too. Is there any other summit access?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Small world. My family skied with the couple in the beginning of the video back in the day. My brother was good buddies with their oldest. Skied with them many times at Burke years go.

That's a bummer about the quad. Right before the season too. Is there any other summit access?

A relatively new Leitner-Poma HSQ named the MidBurke Express.....

Glenn

At least they have another option. I remember that quad being the only way to get up to the summit.

xlr8r

Hindsight now Burke is very lucky that Mid Burke Express was built when it was, (the year before the Q occupation started). I don't know if the Q's would have built a new lift at Burke if Mid Burke Express was not there already, (keep in mind they never upgraded Bonny to a six-pack as was proposed to happen year after year at Jay). I wonder if the towers, chairs and terminals could be reused somewhere else on the mountain, (maybe east bowl) if it was the the foundations that is the problem

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hindsight now Burke is very lucky that Mid Burke Express was built when it was, (the year before the Q occupation started). I don't know if the Q's would have built a new lift at Burke if Mid Burke Express was not there already, (keep in mind they never upgraded Bonny to a six-pack as was proposed to happen year after year at Jay). I wonder if the towers, chairs and terminals could be reused somewhere else on the mountain, (maybe east bowl) if it was the the foundations that is the problem

Exactly. There is little doubt in my mind that she will be resurrected somewhere. Look at the Ascutney chairs, of the same vintage, going to Pats Peak and one going in this season.

And spot on about the timing. A silent benefactor sunk a lot of money into the MidBurke Express project and he may not have been so generous with the Q show....especially since Q Sr. libeled said benefactor.

bdfreetuna

At least they have another option. I remember that quad being the only way to get up to the summit.

The Mid Burke Express has been the only summit lift running every time I've been to Burke in recent years, including a "busy" day during the holidays.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The Mid Burke Express has been the only summit lift running every time I've been to Burke in recent years, including a "busy" day during the holidays.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the Willoughby ever ran after the Express was brought on line. Even on days when they were having mechanical issues with the new quad. There may have been a day or two but I can't remember for sure.

Higgl

This week the Willoughby Quad came down. Apparently an inspection of the summit bullwheel terminal revealed cracks in the concrete foundation and the insurance carrier, perhaps worried about another North Ridge Triple-esque incident, ordered that the lift be removed or the terminal repaired. Crews removed chairs last week. This week mountain ops assisted by Poma removed the haul rope. No word as to when the remains will come down or where it will go, if anywhere.

Might be a silly question, but what happened with the North Ridge Triple that is similar to cracks in the foundation?

Newpylong

The footing did not crack the rebar pulled out of the ledge due to grout failure. Water based ie cement grout was sometimes used in the past. Now any tower pinned to ledge with a water based grout has to be repinned (with an epoxy based grout) following the Spruce failure. $6-9K per footing to do this.

SIKSKIER

Seems odd that the snow report still shows that chair as 1of 6 lifts open on the conditions page even though it shows its status as "out of operation".