• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback 1/13

rocojerry

6691368177_be2027d9d2_b.jpg

6763377361_aa46740852_b.jpg

No friends on a powder day.

Couldnt convince anyone to tag along with me, so I headed up to Maine solo.....
Stayed at a friends place at sunday river -- but had free ticket to Saddleback that I couldn't see go to waste...

Got to saddleback pretty late in the day, noon, but missed some mixed/wet conditions and it was snowing pretty good when I arrived.... They had a mid-day groomer on Green Weaver and I harvested some fresh cord....

The main double was running, but the quad wasn't running yet-- so I just explored everything I could off of the double.... skiers right side of any trail had more wind-blown. Golden Smelt was a lot of fun, as were the Ghost, Doctor, and Devil.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Saddleback is on my hit list for the Spring. I've made it up to the Loaf the last two Aprils. I did drive by Saddleback on my way home last year, looks like a fun mountain. I'd love to ski Maine in the Winter, just so many other options closer to home. I'm only tempted when they are the only ones open. Sugarloaf is a blast in the Spring, I'm sure Saddleback is too.

rocojerry

nice...looks like multiple runs down Golden Smelt...love that trail!
It was my favorite of the day I think! Classic saddleback winding trail.

I like that GPS image. A picture says a thousand words! Kudos!
I pulled the data off of my little black box. (Qstarz Q1000P) Definately fun to see where I went at the end of the day, helps me see what I missed too... Too bad the Google Earth dataset for the area is 2002 vintage -- I think SB cut more trails since then.

Kara G

Being a novice green circle type skier I love Saddleback's terrain. I'd argue that the America Trail from the top is one of the most scenic runs in New England. Looking west towards Sunday River, Rangeley Lake, Mooselook, and the Presidentials is pretty awesome.
It's great that skiers who are learning can go top to bottom at Saddleback w/o any trouble.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Being a novice green circle type skier I love Saddleback's terrain. I'd argue that the America Trail from the top is one of the most scenic runs in New England. Looking west towards Sunday River, Rangeley Lake, Mooselook, and the Presidentials is pretty awesome.
It's great that skiers who are learning can go top to bottom at Saddleback w/o any trouble.

That is nice, I remember when my wife was taking lessons at Killington it was nice to take Juggernaut the entire way down, really slow and easy, nice long ride.

Welcome to the forums!!