• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback Maine

KustyTheKlown

Not sure how one can claim that VT has better mountains than Maine having never skied there.

If Sugarloaf were in Southern VT it would be the busiest ski area in New England. Sunday River as is typically finishes top 5 in skier visits in the East

there is only vail and okemo. i know this because that's where I've visited.

LonghornSkier

I think there's a totally fair argument to be made that VT has better skiing than ME. I would tend to agree (I like skiing at the Maine areas but they tend to get less snow mid-winter and there aren't as many choices (really only three big ski areas-not including Shawnee Peak and Mt Abram)...

BUT, using skier visits as a metric to determine that is wrong... Convenience, nightlife, slopeside development, etc have more to do with skier visits than quality of terrain and/or snow.

As for CO-I agree that it's not the best skiing in the west but places like Aspen are absolutely world class and shouldn't be minimized.

Cobbold

Not sure how one can claim that VT has better mountains than Maine having never skied there.

If Sugarloaf were in Southern VT it would be the busiest ski area in New England. Sunday River as is typically finishes top 5 in skier visits in the East
Based upon skier visits, Maine has less skier visits than New Hampshire, I have skied both Vermont and New Hampshire, for the whole package Vermont is better, if Maine was better than New Hampshire, skier visits would indicate that. If pico was 20 miles from killington, if Smuggs wasn’t next to Stowe, could go forever on that

thebigo

The snowfields on a perfect bluebird spring day is a unique experience in the east that should be on every eastern skiers list. SL also is more relaxed than any other place I have skied east or west. If choosing a retirement location in the east, based on skiing only, it would probably be the loaf.

Cobbold

I'm very confused by so much of what you're saying here.

What about MRG is off-putting? I thought the vibe there was incredible when I visited. First time there and I felt like I had been a regular there forever with how friendly and welcoming everyone was.

And if you're saying K is the worst mountain yet still has high skier visits, doesn't that DIS-prove your point about high skier visits being attributed to places having the "best mountains"?
What I am saying, is even though I have personal opinions on what I like, look at the market, the market loves killington, don’t ask why I don’t understand it, but 900k skiers crowd themselves into killington every year, their not their because it sucks, even though I can’t stand the place

Cobbold

I'm very confused by so much of what you're saying here.

What about MRG is off-putting? I thought the vibe there was incredible when I visited. First time there and I felt like I had been a regular there forever with how friendly and welcoming everyone was.

And if you're saying K is the worst mountain yet still has high skier visits, doesn't that DIS-prove your point about high skier visits being attributed to places having the "best mountains"?
the vide for me, magic does not have this vide, love magic, but if your not a season pass holder or regular you get treated like you are trespassing, maybe I am using wrong words, but it’s not an inclusive place to me, they use to have an unmarked trail that the regulars knew about, it went to a barn for drinks(now a bed and breakfast place) the regulars didn’t want to be shoulder to shoulder with guys like me, that vibe is still their, in my humble opinion

Cobbold

there is only vail and okemo. i know this because that's where I've visited.
Never skied ct, but unless you guys want to claim otherwise, pretty sure. Vermont is better than ct, but maybe you guys all have a different opinion on that too.

raisingarizona

People are dumber than sh$t and flock in herds for basic products and experiences.

look at Walmart. Does Walmart have the very best products? No, it’s convenient and reliable.

those crowds cobbold is using as a quality metric are exactly why people are disagreeing with him.

over the years I’ve noticed that some folks are numbers people. It’s how they see the world and create a perception of value. It’s kind of odd to me but......whatever

snoseek

Vermont is great but let's not pretend proximity to a very large amount of people isnt a factor. It's the main reason I like nh and Maine.

Cobbold

People are dumber than sh$t and flock in herds for basic products and experiences.

look at Walmart. Does Walmart have the very best products? No, it’s convenient and reliable.

those crowds cobbold is using as a quality metric are exactly why people are disagreeing with him.

over the years I’ve noticed that some folks are numbers people. It’s how they see the world and create a perception of value. It’s kind of odd to me but......whatever
I have a dim view of killington, but the market tells me otherwise, hard to argue with facts, same with Colorado, no state is even close to co skier visits, either Colorado has the best skiing or Colorado skiers are complete idiots,

Cobbold

Vermont is great but let's not pretend proximity to a very large amount of people isnt a factor. It's the main reason I like nh and Maine.
Ski all the time in Vermont and run into people from boston,eastern mass, Rhode island, next time I will set then straight tell them how much better Nh and Maine skiing is, if you don’t believe just ask my friends on alpine zone forum

snoseek

Ski all the time in Vermont and run into people from boston,eastern mass, Rhode island, next time I will set then straight tell them how much better Nh and Maine skiing is, if you don’t believe just ask my friends on alpine zone forum
Sure but that population down by NYC is going to vermont alot more. I'm not arguing vermont has better skiing...

Colorado though..yeah it's got some great areas away from 70 but the west has much better to offer as far as pure skiing experience goes...but hey that just an opinion

raisingarizona

I have a dim view of killington, but the market tells me otherwise, hard to argue with facts, same with Colorado, no state is even close to co skier visits, either Colorado has the best skiing or Colorado skiers are complete idiots,
Colorado has great skiing and fantastic resorts. Amenities and overall resort experience though don’t dictate the best skiing. Also, the market majority aren’t looking for what a seasoned expert wants are likes.

I do agree that there isn’t anything like a classic Colorado ski town anywhere other than Colorado but that still doesn’t define the best for skiing.

besides the complete silliness of this thread the “best” is subjective and a personal opinion. You can’t define it with data, that’s not how it works.

Engineer? Autism?

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Colorado has great skiing and fantastic resorts. Amenities and overall resort experience though don’t dictate the best skiing. Also, the market majority aren’t looking for what a seasoned expert wants are likes.

I do agree that there isn’t anything like a classic Colorado ski town anywhere other than Colorado but that still doesn’t define the best for skiing.

aspen, breckenridge, telluride all definitely have that 'small urban city street grid' at the base of the lift vibes. begrudgingly i will say vail does too, but that's like epcot center - manufactured and fake.

whistler has the faux village vail style

park city is a pretty legitimate comparison to the colorado towns. jackson is a great town but it doesn't sit at the foot of the ski area.

but those towns are pretty much just expensive tourist trap restaurants and t-shirt shops. not needed. I'll take kicking horse and shitty railroad pit stop Golden BC over all of it.

snoseek

Breckinridge probably does double the skier visits as Telluride so it MUST be twice as good right?

raisingarizona

Crested Butte was really fun in the 90’s. Telluride has become too expensive for us. I really enjoy Durango but right now Taos is my favorite.

Taos has the winning combination for me. Killer food, nice but with a side of realness and grit, awesome ski terrain and hardly anyone there.

Cobbold

Didn't you know Dominos must be better than any local pizzeria in NYC? And Bud makes better beer than any craft brewery. And Barefoot wine is better than any other wine sold in the US.
You are comparing apples to oranges, if montana had the best ski areas , they would have the most skier visits, Vermont has better skiing than nh, therefore more skier visits, are their great places in Nh,yes, but more and better places in Vermont, and if not better just more of than, look at the acreage of ski areas in vermont to nh

tnt1234

What I am saying, is even though I have personal opinions on what I like, look at the market, the market loves killington, don’t ask why I don’t understand it, but 900k skiers crowd themselves into killington every year, their not their because it sucks, even though I can’t stand the place
But then why quote skier visits as proof CO is the best western skiing? Your own expereince re: K-ton proves to you that skier visits is not a valid metric to measure overall expereince.

Sorry to here MRG was off putting to you. I find it to be a very friendly place, and snow quality and terrain is outstanding.