• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback Maine

KustyTheKlown

But then why quote skier visits as proof CO is the best western skiing? Your own expereince re: K-ton proves to you that skier visits is not a valid metric to measure overall expereince.

Sorry to here MRG was off putting to you. I find it to be a very friendly place, and snow quality and terrain is outstanding.

right? i feel like im taking crazy pills. he keeps making our point by his comments on killington. this thread is so stupid.

raisingarizona

You are comparing apples to oranges, if montana had the best ski areas , they would have the most skier visits, Vermont has better skiing than nh, therefore more skier visits, are their great places in Nh,yes, but more and better places in Vermont, and if not better just more of than, look at the acreage of ski areas in vermont to nh
One could argue that big sky is overall the best big, diverse ski area in the country.

I still prefer Jackson 25 years ago (it’s too crowded now) or a sleeper pow day at Snowbird. TTB tram laps are damn cool when there isn’t a wait. Right now though.....Taos. It’s my favorite.

This dude is trolling. Gotta be. Or just super weird.

Shredmonkey254

You are comparing apples to oranges, if montana had the best ski areas , they would have the most skier visits, Vermont has better skiing than nh, therefore more skier visits, are their great places in Nh,yes, but more and better places in Vermont, and if not better just more of than, look at the acreage of ski areas in vermont to nh
OMG. So sorry to not have been paying attention to this thread... it's amusing AF!

Cobbold

Breckinridge probably does double the skier visits as Telluride so it MUST be twice as good right?
the market is making a statement, people feel they get more value for their money there, which includes ease of travel, last I knew telluride did 400k in skier visits, breck does 1.6 , more people travel to breck, why? Dont know, but they do, you crack that and ski areas hire you for big bucks to bring in skiers.

Cobbold

One could argue that big sky is overall the best big, diverse ski area in the country.

I still prefer Jackson 25 years ago (it’s too crowded now) or a sleeper pow day at Snowbird. TTB tram laps are damn cool when there isn’t a wait. Right now though.....Taos. It’s my favorite.

This dude is trolling. Gotta be. Or just super weird.
My wife thinks both

KustyTheKlown

i know why. its 60 miles from denver and easy to get to from denver airport. it has literally nothing to do with the quality of skiing vs telluride. no ski area company needs to hire me for that expert analysis.

Cobbold

i know why. its 60 miles from denver and easy to get to from denver airport. it has literally nothing to do with the quality of skiing vs telluride.
here we are arguing which Colorado ski area is better, not Montana, Wyoming, Utah California etc

cdskier

My comparisons are no different from you comparing VT's skier visits to ME or NH's skier visits. And now you're almost backtracking with part of what you're saying. Now you're adding "more ski areas" and "more acreage" into the equation on why skier visits are higher in VT. And that is one of the factors in why skier visits are higher in VT compared to the other states. More ski areas and more acreage doesn't automatically mean better though. VT is also more easily accessible to a larger population than the NH and ME resorts. Location, location, location. That's a very significant factor. There's a limit on how far people are willing to go no matter how good something somewhere else is.

And I say VT doesn't necessarily have the best resorts in New England even though that's where I chose to ski. My criteria isn't simply "I want to ski at the best resort". My criteria is "I want to ski at the best resort within a reasonable driving distance". The qualification is important. That eliminated most of the NH and ME resorts that could be in that "best resort" category from my options. I know many people in the NJ/NY area that set their potential driving range even lower than I did, which is why a lot of people I know tend to gravitate towards more of the southern VT resorts (and never even consider NH/ME). Some may like the southern VT resorts, but others have point blank said they prefer the northern VT ones but just aren't willing to drive that far on a regular basis. This is a major factor in where people go (especially if they want to do regular trips there).

jaytrem

I'm not upset that my brother-in-law in the Air Force got moved to NM from Florida. They were at Angle Fire this past weekend. Love the Taos area, apparently still not too crowded these days.

Cobbold

My comparisons are no different from you comparing VT's skier visits to ME or NH's skier visits. And now you're almost backtracking with part of what you're saying. Now you're adding "more ski areas" and "more acreage" into the equation on why skier visits are higher in VT. And that is one of the factors in why skier visits are higher in VT compared to the other states. More ski areas and more acreage doesn't automatically mean better though. VT is also more easily accessible to a larger population than the NH and ME resorts. Location, location, location. That's a very significant factor. There's a limit on how far people are willing to go no matter how good something somewhere else is.

And I say VT doesn't necessarily have the best resorts in New England even though that's where I chose to ski. My criteria isn't simply "I want to ski at the best resort". My criteria is "I want to ski at the best resort within a reasonable driving distance". The qualification is important. That eliminated most of the NH and ME resorts that could be in that "best resort" category from my options. I know many people in the NJ/NY area that set their potential driving range even lower than I did, which is why a lot of people I know tend to gravitate towards more of the southern VT resorts (and never even consider NH/ME). Some may like the southern VT resorts, but others have point blank said they prefer the northern VT ones but just aren't willing to drive that far on a regular basis. This is a major factor in where people go (especially if they want to do regular trips there).
not backtracking at all, just explaining one of the reasons maybe why vt has more visits than nh, Why do Bostonians drive thru nh like maniacs on they way to a Vermont Ski resort?? If all equal just stop at the first one then.

RustyGroomer

lol

hope you are having a good season. i've been at magic a lot but i'm really covid antisocial. i haven't even been skiing with my regular ski buds this year. pretty much solo listening to music every day out.

No worries. Been a weird year. Give a shout next time & if things align we'll take a few runs.

Cobbold

tarraghee
So you are saying people spend lots of time and money and energy to get to ski areas that are less good than tarraghee, but only a 200k people in the whole country now this and all other skiers who don’t know this are idiots or simpletons who should be separated from their money

cdskier

not backtracking at all, just explaining one of the reasons maybe why vt has more visits than nh, Why do Bostonians drive thru nh like maniacs on they way to a Vermont Ski resort?? If all equal just stop at the first one then.
So originally it was "skier visits are higher because the resorts are the best". Then you changed it to "skier visits are higher for multiple reasons". And that isn't backtracking? Do you even know the definition of backtracking?