• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scientists say more snow will be the norm.... for a while

deadheadskier

Staff member
Out of all areas of science, climatology is the one I have the least amount of faith in regarding predicting the future.

There are no trends over the last 100 years that suggest there will be more or less snow than there has been in the past.

and I say this as someone in full support of the world eliminating fossil fuel reliance and shifting towards renewable forms of energy.

yeggous

Out of all areas of science, climatology is the one I have the least amount of faith in regarding predicting the future.

There are no trends over the last 100 years that suggest there will be more or less snow than there has been in the past.

and I say this as someone in full support of the world eliminating fossil fuel reliance and shifting towards renewable forms of energy.

There has been a trend toward more snow, but the records are very limited in spatial sampling and the impact of changing measurement techniques is unclear.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

skiNEwhere

According to this article, ONLY Vt will be affected?? (Scratches head)

Edit: looking back I guess that study was just for the state, I'd like to see a similar assessment for the rest of New England plus northern New York

deadheadskier

Staff member
There has been a trend toward more snow, but the records are very limited in spatial sampling and the impact of changing measurement techniques is unclear.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

There has?

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/mountain-info/historical_weather

That's just Killington over the past 25 years, but I don't see any trends. I'm sure you could find data for other mountains that show similar.

I guess I feel that since I started skiing in 1982, it doesn't feel like New England gets any more snow today than it did back then. Some winters we get a lot, some years we get very little.

dlague

There has?

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/mountain-info/historical_weather

That's just Killington over the past 25 years, but I don't see any trends. I'm sure you could find data for other mountains that show similar.

I guess I feel that since I started skiing in 1982, it doesn't feel like New England gets any more snow today than it did back then. Some winters we get a lot, some years we get very little.

If you pull that data into Excel it actually has been trending down slightly! I think the article is talking about the future though and not looking at the past.

VTKilarney

I notice that they used the ice-out date for Joe's Pond. I could be mistaken, but I am pretty sure that the location of the cinder block was moved a few years ago. I wonder if they took that into account.

Put me in the "nobody can know for sure" camp.

dlague

Son of a BITCH.... Don't tell my boss. LOL

However, if you look at the trend short term we have been getting snowfall amounts at or below the trend line. What does that mean? Well, based on the longer term history we are due for a heavy hitting winter, hence the prediction that we will be having more snow in the upcoming years.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Meteorologists can't even get the weather right for tomorrow half the time let alone a week in advance. They want to predict 25 or 50 years ahead? Forget about it!

Cannonball

Meteorologists can't even get the weather right for tomorrow half the time let alone a week in advance. They want to predict 25 or 50 years ahead? Forget about it!

No kidding right!! I seriously hope they didn't have meteorologists do this climate study (luckily it sounds like they didn't).

BenedictGomez

If it's warmer, it's because of Global Warming.
If it's colder, it's because of Global Warming.
If there's no snow, it's because of Global Warming.
If it snows a ton, it's because of Global Warming.
If there's a bad hurricane season, it's because of Global Warming.
If there's a light hurricane season, it's because of Global Warming.
If it rains a lot, it's because of Global Warming.
If there's drought, it's because of Global Warming.

There is no weather pattern anywhere on earth that isnt attributed to the religious cult of the man-made Global Warming crowd.

BenedictGomez

And I put more faith in Meteorologists (who predict the weather every day), than Climatologists (who reside in Academia and theorize).