• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Signs some areas have written this season off already

drjeff

I just had an add for booking golf outings at Sugarbush pop up on my FB page....

gmcunni

read that a small mountain, Big Tupper, in upstate new york has thrown in the towel, they were never able to open this year.

We are sorry to announce that the ARISE Board has made the difficult decision to not open Big Tupper this season. While the weather has worked against our efforts this year, let’s keep our eye to a brighter future. Please know that this decision did not come easily and that your efforts are greatly appreciated. There are a lot of discussions taking place about the future operation – all very positive. We will make every effort to keep you updated as things unfold.

Warp Daddy

read that a small mountain, Big Tupper, in upstate new york has thrown in the towel, they were never able to open this year.

This formerly great venue will always be a challenge to operate ,they simply lack so much in infrastructure , investment and lack of snowmaking . What a shame , this was always a great place to ski , but now it is but now it strictly a labor of love by volunteers . Titus Mountain to their benefit has filled the vacuum created by this situation

Smellytele

This formerly great venue will always be a challenge to operate ,they simply lack so much in infrastructure , investment and lack of snowmaking . What a shame , this was always a great place to ski , but now it is but now it strictly a labor of love by volunteers . Titus Mountain to their benefit has filled the vacuum created by this situation

Next year plan on hitting Lake Placid up again and was wondering about Big Tupper.

JDMRoma

Cannons blowing snow like crazy. Not going down without a fight !
Epic here today.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Highway Star

Diesel fuel is cheap this year, there is pent up demand for skiing, snow on the ground in the cities, and 2 months left for most major resorts. Why wouldn't they be making a push to do as best they can right now?

jaybird

No towel throwing anywhere in sight on SuperStar.
...although they should throw a blanket over the eyesore on the StuperPipe.

The pride of lions will shows up in a few weeks.
All is not lost...just misplaced.

Newpylong

Looking at next week's system they are going to need every inch to survive.

Too far out to tell but every model I have seen shows snow mixed with r*in (if it stays mild) on Tuesday, nothing like we just went through. It won't be fun to ski but it won't effect the snow pack at all.

Smellytele

Too far out to tell but every model I have seen shows snow mixed with r*in (if it stays mild) on Tuesday, nothing like we just went through. It won't be fun to ski but it won't effect the snow pack at all.

some I have looked at show all snow in Northern areas. Not So VT but anything Killington and north

BenedictGomez

Diesel fuel is cheap this year

Is that what most places use?

Why wouldn't they be making a push to do as best they can right now?

Well, if the analyst at Macquarie is correct, he estimates SKIS revenue is only at 50% of what it normally would be. If true (and we don't know that it is yet, but the stock has been crushed due to this), that's a pretty good reason for ski areas to either go into "play it somewhat safe" mode at best, or "self-preservation" mode, at worst.

Smellytele

Agree.I have not seen a tropical blowtorch forecast at all.

some one posted this on the weather forum -
ne.gfsptype12-45.gif

drjeff

Agree.I have not seen a tropical blowtorch forecast at all.

Exactly, rain and say 36 degree weather is a lot different in what it does to a snow pack than say rain and 50 degree weather.

This system the middle of next week is looking much more wet that white unfortunately, however it's not looking like it has "blowtorch" warmth associated with it as of now

drjeff

Is that what most places use?

Well, if the analyst at Macquarie is correct, he estimates SKIS revenue is only at 50% of what it normally would be. If true (and we don't know that it is yet, but the stock has been crushed due to this), that's a pretty good reason for ski areas to either go into "play it somewhat safe" mode at best, or "self-preservation" mode, at worst.

On the flip side of that, purely from a marketing perspective, as we approach the rolling out of next years season passes, if you've got an area or in the case of multi-resort passes, areas, that have a GOOD quantity of terrain open, even if the weather pattern stays unfavorable more than not for the duration of the season, that extra acreage that is open at one area vs another can shift peoples opinion about where to buy a pass and/or switch mountains. Throwing in the towel early can have negative consequences not just on this years numbers, but also next years as well.

Where you very well could see changes in plans, is even if we stay "seasonable" temperature wise the next 6-8 weeks, especially with Easter being early this year, you're much more likely to see areas that may typically shoot for say an April 15th closing date pencil it in for April 1st this year instead. Through St Patrick's Day it's not that difficult, if the weather is nice, to get some BIG crowds out on the mountains any weekend, so there is some definite incentive to keep working at the product they're putting out there, regardless of what the "bean counters" are telling them

xwhaler

On the flip side of that, purely from a marketing perspective, as we approach the rolling out of next years season passes, if you've got an area or in the case of multi-resort passes, areas, that have a GOOD quantity of terrain open, even if the weather pattern stays unfavorable more than not for the duration of the season, that extra acreage that is open at one area vs another can shift peoples opinion about where to buy a pass and/or switch mountains. Throwing in the towel early can have negative consequences not just on this years numbers, but also next years as well.

Where you very well could see changes in plans, is even if we stay "seasonable" temperature wise the next 6-8 weeks, especially with Easter being early this year, you're much more likely to see areas that may typically shoot for say an April 15th closing date pencil it in for April 1st this year instead. Through St Patrick's Day it's not that difficult, if the weather is nice, to get some BIG crowds out on the mountains any weekend, so there is some definite incentive to keep working at the product they're putting out there, regardless of what the "bean counters" are telling them

+1 As we head into pass vs free agent voucher decision mode for next season and as I evaluate ski lesson options for my son I am keeping a close eye on what mtns do the next 2 mos to earn my $ for next season.

drjeff

Ca7U20xWcAAQG2N.png

Jim Cantore's FREEZING RAIN accumulation estimates for next week's storm - This may not be a snow event, but's its not going to be a blowtorch event either