• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Singles Line

Pez

honestly, if there are 200 people in line, i'm probably just turning around and going home, pandemic or not!

Reactions: Edd

Teleskier

I'm nervous about the huge lines that might happen over MLK weekend.

Will play it by ear, but feel that it's probably a 75% chance of being too much for me to be comfortable.

Lots of articles/reports about how new first-time skiers have swamped ski shops before Christmas hoping to get their families outside.

JimG.

Staff member
You probably have a better chance catching covid from the chair in front of you than the person on the opposite side of the chair while traveling up the mtn.

I vape also, so my question is when you vape and exhale, the cloud probably goes 15-20 feet in the air. Does that mean your breath travels that far?
lol I've never pondered that thought.

Take another hit and forget about it.

icecoast1

Will play it by ear, but feel that it's probably a 75% chance of being too much for me to be comfortable.

Lots of articles/reports about how new first-time skiers have swamped ski shops before Christmas hoping to get their families outside.
You might have a shot at an indy resort but most IKON or epic areas will probably be a complete disaster

skiur

I don't understand why anybody skis on the holidays. I'm up just about other weekend but between the traffic on the mountain and the traffic driving to and from the mountain I have no interest in skiing.

cdskier

You might have a shot at an indy resort but most IKON or epic areas will probably be a complete disaster
For Ikon it depends on how many people bought full Ikon vs Ikon base. Base pass holders are blacked out next weekend.

KustyTheKlown

its never less crowded even with the passes blacked out. last year (?) stowe had a multi hour traffic jam. casual skiers come out and pay out the nose. the only question is whether that is different because of covid.

mikec142

Skied at Sugarbush as a single on Saturday and Sunday. For the most part, lift lines were short and the longest wait was just a few minutes. Gate house was the longest line and that was no longer than 5 minutes. It feels like staff doesn't have to do much to enforce mask protocol because people seem to be complying on their own.

There are signs at the bases of the lifts that say to only ride the lifts with the people with whom you traveled to the mountain.

I was never asked by a liftie to ride with anyone else. I was asked twice by a random single if they could join me...once at Heaven's Gate and once at Gate House. I politely declined and it wasn't an issue. I was never made to feel uncomfortable by staff or other skiers.

While I understand it's unlikely that I will catch Covid while skiing, I'm within a few months of getting vaccinated. I'm really not doing anything in my life that would expose me or my family. It's just not worth it to me to let my guard down.

I mentioned earlier that I skied Windham right after the big storm in December on a Friday. Lift lines at the six pack were horrendous, lifties were pairing up groups on the lift, and mask protocol was awful. This lead me to a couple of conclusions: First is that skiing Windham on weekends will be a concern for me. Second is that strong management and culture is always important, but it's critical when things are out of the ordinary.

KustyTheKlown

killington pairs two singles on the six. yesterday this guy behind me in the singles line in a camo jacket, no mask, carhartts over jeans, who kept getting close enough to be stepping on the tails of my skis, slide out and rode 3 with me and the single in front of me. i wanted to throw him off the fucking lift. i bet he had a lot of fun storming the capitol building last week. i took the triple up snowdon for the rest of the day.

Killingtime

Platty on Saturday had almost zero lift lines and everyone was cool and respectful with covid regulations. First time there and loved it. It will be my go-to catskill mountain from now on. Now I know why its not on the Indy Pass. I don't think the owners really want more crowds to disrupt the low-key chill vibe they have going on. Friendliest place I've ever seen.

skiur

killington pairs two singles on the six. yesterday this guy behind me in the singles line in a camo jacket, no mask, carhartts over jeans, who kept getting close enough to be stepping on the tails of my skis, slide out and rode 3 with me and the single in front of me. i wanted to throw him off the fucking lift. i bet he had a lot of fun storming the capitol building last week. i took the triple up snowdon for the rest of the day.

I've had a similar situation happen at the bubble a few times. If someone lines up with me that I am not comfortable riding the lift with I just let them go and take the next chair.

skiur

Hard to do when you are already at the line and they come speeding up

In that situation your SOL, I have not had that happen yet. I guess you could fall down if you really wanted to stop the lift but that is kinda excessive.

jimmywilson69

wife was skiing by herself this weekend and a guy and his friend wanted to ride up with my wife who was a single. She said no, and proceeded to give her shit until it was her time to load. Probably good she told me this after we got back to the car... I hope the lift hit him hard in the knee when he loaded...

JimG.

Staff member
Platty on Saturday had almost zero lift lines and everyone was cool and respectful with covid regulations. First time there and loved it. It will be my go-to catskill mountain from now on. Now I know why its not on the Indy Pass. I don't think the owners really want more crowds to disrupt the low-key chill vibe they have going on. Friendliest place I've ever seen.
Same yesterday great skiing. I was shocked to see cars lining the access road quite a ways down. Never seemed crowded to me.

da-bum

Was lapping the north side with the wife in hunter since lines were relatively short. We usually don't mind one or two get on the six pack as long as they are following protocol. On one instance, 3 maga locals came in through the singles line, grouped up together, squeezed up next to us, thus squeezing out the single that was on the other side of us, noticed that there were too many to fit on the six pack, and said to each other "we don't need no social distancing". We just let them go ahead and took the next chair up.