• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski for spring conditions

bigbog

I Demoed a bunch of next years all mountain type skis at Demo Day at Greek Peak a couple of weeks ago... They have eliminated traditional camber and call the skis - flat skis with tip and tail rocker......through warm slushy GLOP with ease.

What's needed, up here, to make it to the bottom:
on Outrigger
Platform

Just a guess Rambo, but sounds like they went with what works great around Greek Peak = deep without a lot of steep/momentum.
Must have been a lot of fun....... Camber[Reverse], rocker, rise, splay....nice to have the choices of today!

Speaking of "rise" JimG.....you have open water for trout season's Opening Day??? We are alllllll wet crud and ice up here....
:puke:

At least the western mountains still have snow.....with temps to work with.

SteveD

Last edited:

JDMRoma

I was really digging my Soul 7s the last couple days in the soft snow and bumps.

Kicking myself for not taking my Soul 7s on Saturday.......Thought it was going to be hard as a rock most of the day.
My AC 50s werent the right tool for the deep wet stuff that was in the glades.....and I payed for it !

Really thinking I should have kept my Volkl Gotama's though.......Twin tips are / would of been good for the rabbit holes we were in.....I drove my tails in a few times that resulted in a few good crashes.

Tight tree / deep spring conditions Id opt for Twin tip full rockers...Just sayn !

wa-loaf

What length did you get?

I went with 188. I got into a rabbit hole at MRG on Friday and the length didn't bother me at all (though I didn't intend to go there on my first run). And they've been a blast in the spring bumps. Not just easy to turn, but I find with the big rocker tip I can just mash them into whatever crud is in front of me and tip them in the direction I want to go. They just come around and keep going.

I'm not a fan of them on hard pack. They can keep edge and carve, but it is more work and I find the extra leverage it takes puts more pressure on my feet and gives me some foot pain. But I'd probably have that issue with any 100+ width skis. Anything soft however and they shine.

C-Rex

You skiers are ridiculous. Let's see, I have my racing skis, a pair for slalom and one for GS. Then I have my rock skis, then I have my deep fluffy powder skis, then my dense-wet powder skis, then my all mountain groomers with cloudy skies and cold temps skis, then my groomers with sunny skies and warm temps, then my park skis for jumps and my park skis for jibs, then my mogul skis, then my spring skis, and don't forget my skis for glades in the east and my skis for glades in the west...

Hahaha!!!

VTKilarney

Thanks for the great advice!
I'm going to keep my eyes open for a good deal over the off season. Having just spent close to the GDP of a small African nation on skiing this year, I'd like to at least pretend that I can wait a little while before adding another pair of skis to my collection.

wa-loaf

You skiers are ridiculous. Let's see, I have my racing skis, a pair for slalom and one for GS. Then I have my rock skis, then I have my deep fluffy powder skis, then my dense-wet powder skis, then my all mountain groomers with cloudy skies and cold temps skis, then my groomers with sunny skies and warm temps, then my park skis for jumps and my park skis for jibs, then my mogul skis, then my spring skis, and don't forget my skis for glades in the east and my skis for glades in the west...

Hahaha!!!

I think you just feel like you are missing out! :p

Edd

I demoed the Soul 7s (180) at Saddleback recently. Snow conditions were excellent but not a pow day. They were fun for sure but I'd like to try them in the intended conditions. Tomorrow is a spring day so I'll try to grab them again.

Anyone ski the Blizzard Bonafide? I'd like to try those too. I skied the Brahma recently and liked it quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

pcampbell

speaking of fatter skis, Anyone get away with a fatter (110 waist) ski all year on the east coast?

i've read people using voile charger bc (i run BC skis here all the time so that is part of the criteria) in all conditions... currently use a rossignol bc125 but would like something that performs better in powder, sloppy spring conditions, cream cheese, potatoes etc. , but slightly worried about how something like that would perform on icy moguls etc. that we often deal with.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

speaking of fatter skis, Anyone get away with a fatter (110 waist) ski all year on the east coast?

i've read people using voile charger bc in all conditions... currently use a rossignol bc125 but would like something that performs better in powder, sloppy spring conditions, cream cheese, potatoes etc. , but slightly worried about how something like that would perform on icy moguls etc. that we often deal with.

You can do it, but it won't be great on icy days.

jrmagic

i've read people using voile charger bc (i run BC skis here all the time so that is part of the criteria) in all conditions... currently use a rossignol bc125 but would like something that performs better in powder, sloppy spring conditions, cream cheese, potatoes etc. , but slightly worried about how something like that would perform on icy moguls etc. that we often deal with.

I'm guilty. I skied my Moment Rubies 188s @110 underfoot all season.I have a pair of Nordica Too Fuel skis that are 78 underfoot but the screw holding the brake came out on one ski and I was too lazy to fix it lol. Truth be told these skis have been beaten to crap so I wasn't anxious to get on them anyway. The rubies are a wood core ski that have a lot of camber and no rocker and are surprisingly very stable at speed when the edge is locked into an arc. While they aren't the perfect tool for hard pack, they performed reasonable well on all but the iciest days and of course shine in soft conditions including all the various spring snow conditions we get in the north east.I didn't realize how much better they were in the solo until I took a couple of guys into the trees last weekend. It was manky as hell in there but I was able to manage OK while the 2 guys I was with whi are very giid skiers struggled mightily on their narrower skis.

mister moose

I ski on soft 85mm a lot on warm spring bumps, and I'm talking April and May wet sloppy bumps. I've found that my narrow skis can really bury themselves in the slush, in spite of very large tips and tails. There are many, many excellent bump skiers out there on long 66mm skis, so that's not cast in stone either. Those guys do tend to ski on proportionally longer skis.

I've found sometimes 100mm works a little better, but more tiring. If I went wider I'd want very low swing weight. Wider than 100mm I haven't seen the need for.