• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Closings 2014

Smellytele

I feel for you guys getting your season cut short due to sporting obligations from your kids. I think it was 2nd grade I started playing soccer, basketball and baseball. I quit them all by 5th grade as I didn't want to miss out on skiing for any other sport. In HS I played lax and football, but I went to high school in VT, so it didn't cut into skiing so much as the other sports did when we lived down in Mass.

I have dissuaded my kids from playing basketball. It would ruin my Feb Vaca if they play in high school. It has worked so far and 2 out of the 3 hate basketball. See they can be brain washed!

mikec142

I have dissuaded my kids from playing basketball. It would ruin my Feb Vaca if they play in high school. It has worked so far and 2 out of the 3 hate basketball. See they can be brain washed!

I don't push basketball for my girls either. Between soccer and softball being year round sports at this point and a desire on all of our parts to ski as much as possible, I just don't see any room for hoops.

dlague

Soccer is in full swing for my girls. Training is year round but now games start back up this weekend, which will force us to come home Saturday nights, or early Sunday morning for the rest of the season....And we will miss Okemo's closing weekend (4/13) altogether because of a tournament in New Jersey, which is NOT sitting very well with me.

None of our kids have any interest in Winter season sports since we ski/snowboard quite a bit. However, Football playoffs dampened early season plans for skiing one or twice and now LAX season is starting and we found out that practices are TU, TH, and SU (middle of the day grrrrr!).

Tying this back to closings, I am finding ourselves with too many prepaids because it looks like Sundays will be a no go! We are looking to see if our son can carpool to practice with a friend. Closing dates are approaching fast even with more snow being predicted for tonight and this weekend.

xwhaler

Saddleback closing 4/20---will be one of the deepest snow packs into April among any mtn in the NE.

Smellytele

Saddleback closing 4/20---will be one of the deepest snow packs into April among any mtn in the NE.

Skied the back last week. Thursday the glades had no bare spots nor could you see a stump. Saturday it was already getting bony at the tops of the glade runs. Also the tops of the runs over at the Kennabago steeps were pretty blown off as well.
On a good note they should be getting a shot of refresh tonight - 6" or so.

2knees

I feel for you guys getting your season cut short due to sporting obligations from your kids. I think it was 2nd grade I started playing soccer, basketball and baseball. I quit them all by 5th grade as I didn't want to miss out on skiing for any other sport. In HS I played lax and football, but I went to high school in VT, so it didn't cut into skiing so much as the other sports did when we lived down in Mass.

In my case, I would skip some of the games early but I got roped into coaching 4 years ago. Now I coach two travel teams for soccer so I have no clue how i'm going to get around this. I am not quitting skiing at my favorite time of year though. Midweek i guess and a little leaning on the assistant coach to handle some games by himself.

deadheadskier

Staff member
In my case, I would skip some of the games early but I got roped into coaching 4 years ago. Now I coach two travel teams for soccer so I have no clue how i'm going to get around this. I am not quitting skiing at my favorite time of year though. Midweek i guess and a little leaning on the assistant coach to handle some games by himself.

That's what you get for being a good dad / citizen.

sucker

steamboat1

Don't worry guys, it will all come to pass. My daughter was active in sports when she was young & it sometimes cut into my skiing time. I'm now retired & can ski pretty much anytime I want while she is just starting a full time career. The circle of life.

Edd

Skied the back last week. Thursday the glades had no bare spots nor could you see a stump. Saturday it was already getting bony at the tops of the glade runs. Also the tops of the runs over at the Kennabago steeps were pretty blown off as well.

Skied it on Mon and Tue this week. Overall things were in outstanding shape. We had perfect sunny days and nobody was there.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

NH mtns have announced tentative closing dates:
Black NH 3/30
Bretton Woods 4/21
Cranmore 3/30
Dartmouth Skiway 3/30
King Pine 3/30
Pats 3/30

The possible later season players (Loon, Cannon, Wildcat, WV) have not announced which I take as a good sign that they are still trying to gauge future demand.

wakenbacon

The possible later season players (Loon, Cannon, Wildcat, WV) have not announced which I take as a good sign that they are still trying to gauge future demand.

I heard loon has been up 300 skiers per midweek day this year, hopefully this keeps up and they stay open later.

dlague

Talked to a Gunstock employee and he mention that there was a strong possibility of closing while still 100% of the trails still skiable due to a hard closing date. Sad to hear that!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Yawgoo just put up on their FB page that they're done for the season as of today. They did put the caveat in that if a storm hits soon that they might spin the lifts again. They still apparently have a good base, but its getting quite mushy

dlague

Just got word that my sons Sunday practice has been cancelled due to the new snow we just got and the potential of new snow on Saturday. So we are now getting and extra day that was originally planned but cancelled because of LAX practice. Gotta love Mother Nature. Nice when there is a valid excuse!

Was looking ahead in Liftopia for deals around mid April and not much there!

watkin

Vermont Closing Dates were just announced.. I am shocked at the amount of March dates here, although glad to see some in May as well:

Cochran’s Ski Area: March 23, 2014
Suicide Six Ski Area: March 23, 2014
Northeast Slopes: March 30, 2014
Middlebury College Snow Bowl: March 30, 2014
Quechee Ski Area: March 30, 2014
Pico Mountain: March 30, 2014
Bolton Valley: April 6, 2014
Bromley Mountain: April 6, 2014
Magic Mountain: April 6, 2014
Q Burke Mountain: April 6, 2014
Mount Snow: mid-April
Okemo Mountain Resort: April 13, 2014
Stratton Mountain Resort: April 13, 2014
Smugglers’ Notch Resort: April 13, 2014
Stowe Mountain Resort: April 20, 2014
Sugarbush Resort: May 4, 2014
Jay Peak Resort: May 11, 2014
Killington Resort: TBD
Mad River Glen: TBD

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Vermont Closing Dates were just announced.. I am shocked at the amount of March dates here, although glad to see some in May as well:

Stratton Mountain Resort: April 13, 2014
Smugglers’ Notch Resort: April 13, 2014
Stowe Mountain Resort: April 20, 2014
Sugarbush Resort: May 4, 2014
Jay Peak Resort: May 11, 2014
Killington Resort: TBD
Mad River Glen: TBD

Rumor is that Burke may operate for a few weekends after April 6.

wa-loaf