• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

cdskier

His surprised reaction really amazed me...he had no idea there were restrictions regarding leaving NY and then returning. He had no idea Delaware was on the restriction list. Maybe I'm just unusually tuned into this topic because of skiing and making season pass arrangements but the general cluelessness of the general public once again astounds me.

I haven't really been thinking about it too much from a skiing perspective (for me the only state that matters is what VT says). Yet I still knew about the restrictions in NY (and NJ which is using the same list). It has been a pretty big news topic, so I don't really know how people aren't aware (and I'm not someone that even pays that much attention to the news). Then again, nothing really surprises me anymore.

JimG.

Staff member
I haven't really been thinking about it too much from a skiing perspective (for me the only state that matters is what VT says). Yet I still knew about the restrictions in NY (and NJ which is using the same list). It has been a pretty big news topic, so I don't really know how people aren't aware (and I'm not someone that even pays that much attention to the news). Then again, nothing really surprises me anymore.

The more access to info people get the more clueless they seem. Counterintuitive but apparently true.

I very well may defer my K midweek pass to 21-22 and buy the NYS 3 in 1 and a Platty pass. It looks more and more like my best option as time goes on.

Deadline for best price 3 in 1 9/2. Platty best price deadline 10/15 which is quite generous.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
I don't think that's reckless but what is reckless is opening schools without a real plan. I think NYC is probably guilty of that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think that's reckless but what is reckless is opening schools without a real plan. I think NYC is probably guilty of that.
That would be pretty much every school district in NH. I haven't seen one with a well defined plan.

Our district required we make a choice this past Monday. Commit to in school or remote learning. The commitment is to be for the entire academic year. We chose remote learning because the district has yet to release specifics of what the in school experience will be.

I'm patient and respectful that the current situation must be really difficult to plan for. I'm angry we have been asked to make a choice without a clue what we are choosing. Thankfully it's only Kindergarten for our son. Him making new friends and having fun is a far greater concern for us than the academics.

We are very fortunate to be fine on one income. My wife has been a stay at home mom since our son was born 5.5 years ago. Also have a 21 month old daughter and we have no plans of my wife going back to work until our daughter is in Kindergarten.

I can't imagine the stress on families that need two incomes and have kids in more advanced ages.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

There is no reason to not reopen schools based upon science, but alas, "science" failed to rule the day months ago.

It is politics & fear, and especially the, "politics of fear" that now rule the day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
There is no reason to not reopen schools based upon science, but alas, "science" failed to rule the day months ago.

It is politics & fear, and especially the, "politics of fear" that now rule the day.
Tell that to my co-worker. Oh wait you can't. She died from Covid on Tuesday.

Little hypocritical of you to beat the loudest drum of no gondolas, but packed school hallways? NBD right?

VTKilarney

Respectfully, I’m tired of these appeals to emotion (a logical fallacy). Facts should drive policy, not anecdotes. If you believe that schools should remain closed make an actual argument in support of that belief.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Respectfully, I’m tired of these appeals to emotion (a logical fallacy). Facts should drive policy, not anecdotes. If you believe that schools should remain closed make an actual argument in support of that belief.
You are missing my point entirely and respectfully I don't care if you are tired of appeals to emotion. Tell that to anyone who has lost a loved one to the disease.

My point is we were asked to make a choice without knowing what we are choosing.

A good friend is a teacher two towns over. Their plan (middle school) is that all students are to remain at the same desk in the same classroom all day, including lunch and the teachers will move between classrooms. Sounds awfully boring. If my kid was in high school I might consider it as we don't have the time to relearn calculus, chemistry etc to teach it. But anything lower level and we'd keep the kid home and take a stab at remote learning / home schooling.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Some schools in other states that have reopened have had to close down already because of cases (students and/or teachers). Just the evidence not a ruling. I don't have the answers nor do I claim to as others on here seem to have all the answers.

Pez

off to school ya go ya little bastards! try not to kill anyone

JimG.

Staff member
I'm sure glad my youngest graduated from high school this past spring.

I sympathize with parents who have to deal with the total uncertainty of the current situation. It annoys me greatly that the people who are supposedly our leaders are totally clueless about what to do and more concerned with political games than actually leading.

I am in favor of firing our entire federal government and would also like to see the current NYS and NYC governments defunded.

Newpylong

Little hypocritical of you to beat the loudest drum of no gondolas, but packed school hallways? NBD right?

He obviously has no kids and thus no clue what parents are going through dealing with this. Also the dilemma facing parents and educators going into the school year. I support my kids going back to school BUT our county is doing well and the decision is not black or white. Sadly I suspect many schools, especially higher learning, won't be in person for long before needing to revert to remote due to outbreaks.

Edd

I, as a never-parent, truly sympathize with teachers and parents. These decisions are brutal and complex because you’re working with limited information. It’s likely a no-win situation.

I just made the term “never-parent” up. It’s not catchy. I’ll work on it.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone