• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

cdskier

Here we go...this is good info for Ikon pass holders. Ikon is keeping a running list of which resorts will and will not require reservations for passholders.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/reservations

So far in the northeast, Loon and Windham are the only "Yes" ones (but they do have the footnote for K and Pico that those require parking reservations).

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

so now over dose deaths are related to unemployment?
Suicide rates as cdskier said are about the same as previous years but also as noted too early to tell one way or another.

Yes, but overdose deaths are also the direct result of many AA, NA or CA 12 step meetings being cancelled. I am 11 years sober by the Grace of God and am very grateful that I did not have to get sober in 2020. It's very tough in the first few years and live meetings are a crucial component of getting and staying sober.
Very few meeting are on ZOOM etc. and much of the personal connection is lost. It's not nearly as effective. Many folks who work, or go to school online also have ZOOM fatigue.
It's a real reason for the increase in OD's. Young people are dying in droves. We were in an Opioid epidemic already and the Lockdowns have made it much worse.

snoseek

Yes, but overdose deaths are also the direct result of many AA, NA or CA 12 step meetings being cancelled. I am 11 years sober by the Grace of God and am very grateful that I did not have to get sober in 2020. It's very tough in the first few years and live meetings are a crucial component of getting and staying sober.
Very few meeting are on ZOOM etc. and much of the personal connection is lost. It's not nearly as effective. Many folks who work, or go to school online also have ZOOM fatigue.
It's a real reason for the increase in OD's. Young people are dying in droves. We were in an Opioid epidemic already and the Lockdowns have made it much worse.

Everything you just said makes sense, its gotta be a bitch right now to clean up.

drjeff

Full respect to your ability to get past things! Respect to 1 day at a time!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Ikon has a great response with everything listed on out one page and individual mountains what best suits them based on their capacity and restrictions. Reservations not even being required at some mountains and a guarantee to prioritize passholders is welcome. The Vail plan of going hyper-conservative and giving passholders 7 days outside of week-of reservations is hyper-conservative and opposite of Ikon.

Unless a Vail Resort in in your backyard I honestly don't know how someone could buy an Epic pass over an Ikon pass right now. Maybe I'm missing something.

thebigo

unless a Vail Resort in in your backyard I honestly don't know how someone could buy an Epic pass over an Ikon pass right now. Maybe I'm missing something.

Seriously? The two unlimited ikon mountains in new england are not a day trip option for the vast majority of people living east of the Connecticut river. Further, with the uncertainty over the vt rainbow map, who knows if you'll even be able to plan a vacation. I would love to go ikon if they added a decent unlimited place or two in NH but the current offering is not even a consideration.

chuckstah

Ikon has a great response with everything listed on out one page and individual mountains what best suits them based on their capacity and restrictions. Reservations not even being required at some mountains and a guarantee to prioritize passholders is welcome. The Vail plan of going hyper-conservative and giving passholders 7 days outside of week-of reservations is hyper-conservative and opposite of Ikon.

Unless a Vail Resort in in your backyard I honestly don't know how someone could buy an Epic pass over an Ikon pass right now. Maybe I'm missing something.
I guess it depends where you live. I bought my Epic today. While there's no ski area in my backyard, Crotched is about 30 miles. Sunapee about an hour. Wildcat/Attitash easy day trips in state (key point). Ikon really does nothing for me if I can't go to VT with any frequency. Hopefully VT opens up to my county soon. It should, and then Stowe, Okemo, Snow are in easy day trip range.
I rarely ski weekends, bought a midweek pass, so reservations shouldn't be an issue except holidays. I'll book them with priority days. I just hope ski areas open, and stay open. Some friends have Ikon and I hope it works for them, and you.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

jimmywilson69

there is literally a Vail owned mountain in my back yard (ok 4 miles away) so yes I had no choice. the wife and I, we are empty nesters with our only child in college, had considered buying both passes for the 2021-2022 season. I've started squirrelling away money for that.

p_levert

there is literally a Vail owned mountain in my back yard (ok 4 miles away) so yes I had no choice. the wife and I, we are empty nesters with our only child in college, had considered buying both passes for the 2021-2022 season. I've started squirrelling away money for that.

Thanks to you, I now know the location of Dillsburg :). Just down the road from Roundtop.

kingslug

I actually found it easier to get on the wagon now. Not much socializing going on so not drinking is easy in your own house. Figured it would be a good time to get super healthy, lose weight ,etc with all this shit going on. Haven't missed it.

tnt1234

I actually found it easier to get on the wagon now. Not much socializing going on so not drinking is easy in your own house. Figured it would be a good time to get super healthy, lose weight ,etc with all this shit going on. Haven't missed it.

Intersting. First few months of lock down, I found it to be just the opposite. Stress, concern, then later boredom, after still, constant distant happy hours to keep in touch with neighborhood friends....I've been drinking more than usual.

Have also been running a ton and took up mountain biking, so health is good. But am consciously cutting back on the booze at this point.

machski

Here we go...this is good info for Ikon pass holders. Ikon is keeping a running list of which resorts will and will not require reservations for passholders.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/reservations

So far in the northeast, Loon and Windham are the only "Yes" ones (but they do have the footnote for K and Pico that those require parking reservations).
Yes on the so far with reservations, but it should be noted along with Loon, Big Sky, Brighton and Summit at Snowqualmie are all requiring Ikon passholders to make reservations. Why do I note this? All 4 are Boyne properties meaning if SR and SL decide they need to limit more, they will likely just need to flip a switch to go to Ikon reservations required.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

If reservations prove to be a needed thing for other big eastern ski areas, then in no universe does SL and SR go without them for typical Saturdays. They both get mobbed indoors and out.

drjeff

The full reservation system, I'm guessing on some level, is something that many mountains would love if it became the norm going forward. It would make the job of staffing at adequate levels and having appropriate quantities of food and beverage on hand, thus allowing the resort to operate a bit more efficiently, easier. After all it is the ski INDUSTRY, and they are running a business