• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think that there will be a lot of full time occupied second homes this winter with kids doing remote school and parents WFH.
Id say those parents have highly misplaced priorities unless

A. They have no option for in person learning at their primary residence

Or

B. Their kids are older and their local school district has a very good remote program.

But if the motivation is mostly based on their desire to use their vacation home and ski? That's pretty lame. I would give up skiing for the entirety of my kids school years if that's what it took to provide them with a quality education.

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Whats the difference between hospital taking advantage of the system and Busineses who shouldn't have qualified for the PPP but they got it anyway. IE Harvard getting 30 million dollars
Both are taking advantage of the situation.

The average American has no idea just how much teaching hospitols essentially commit fraud against the government to bilk taxpayers out of billions of dollars each year, because, well, I guess because they're not tobacco or oil companies. But it's a story that should be told. I look forward to a 60 Minutes or 20/20 story one day.

To add to the insanity of Vermont...7 Vermont counties are currently above the 400 cases/million threshold. 6 counties are under the threshold. So over half the counties would be banned from their own state.

So no Vermonters living in a "red" blue county can travel to a Vermont county that isnt "red" blue, amiright? Ohhhhhh.......

BenedictGomez

Also interesting how the Governor released this guidance on election day, when the distraction factor is bound to be a higher than usualy right now.

This man understands politics.

New York's new rules are even worse. If you are coming to New York from a non-adjacent state, you must have proof of a negative covid test within 72 hours prior to arrival and then you STILL have to quarantine. You can test on the 4th day of quarantine and will only be released from quarantine if you test negative.

#Science

tumbler

Id say those parents have highly misplaced priorities unless

A. They have no option for in person learning at their primary residence

Or

B. Their kids are older and their local school district has a very good remote program.

But if the motivation is mostly based on their desire to use their vacation home and ski? That's pretty lame. I would give up skiing for the entirety of my kids school years if that's what it took to provide them with a quality education.

You must have younger children, mine are older. This is not easy for anyone but especially the parents with young kids. Hybrid learning is two half days per week in school, the rest is remote. Not really missing much by being fully remote.

slatham

In Quebec, in high school they alternate one day at home and one day at school, and I just can't figure out the apparently absurd logic behind this.

In our school district the splitting is specifically to allow more social distancing in class. A typical classroom with 30 kids is not big enough to socially distance, but with 15 kids it is. However we are 2 in, 2 out. We also have a full remote option, which my daughter opted for.

machski

Scan your ticket/pass when you enter and exit said lodge.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Easy from our end, a bit more difficult on the resort end as they have to now build a way to store all that scan data separately. So areas with RFID, maybe a bit easier once IT builds all that up. Areas not using RFID, good luck.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

In our school district the splitting is specifically to allow more social distancing in class. A typical classroom with 30 kids is not big enough to socially distance, but with 15 kids it is. However we are 2 in, 2 out. We also have a full remote option, which my daughter opted for.

My kids highschool has been full remote since the school year started, and actually next week is scheduled to start 1 day a week of in person (the 1st half of the alphabet goes on Monday and the 2nd half on Tuesday) and then virtual Wed-Fri presuming the current bump in COVID cases and scaling back a bit of the reopening status doesn't have the school staying full virtual.

If they stay full virtual, and potentially cancel Winter sports, the reality is my kids could stay up at our condo in VT at take their classes, without much of an issue. Now my wife and I to pull it off and stay within the "good" graces of VT, would have to dramatically increase our daily commuting...... :wink:

fbrissette

Well in Quebec, they are going with full-size classes (no social distancing), one day out of two.... Class is a bubble with roaming professors.

spiderpig

To "get around" the lift chair capacity restrictions, can people from separate parties choose to link up in the line if they are of a similar mind about the riskiness of the proposition? Only problem would be identifying other people who would want to ride with you.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You must have younger children, mine are older. This is not easy for anyone but especially the parents with young kids. Hybrid learning is two half days per week in school, the rest is remote. Not really missing much by being fully remote.
Yes

Very young. Son is full remote Kindergarten. Then we have a daughter who is almost 2. The school is doing their best with the programming, but all of the kids are struggling. You watch the other kids on Zoom and like my own, participation even with a parent over their shoulder is hit or miss. Hence my qualifiers on student age. Friends with older kids are reporting a much more positive remote experience.

BenedictGomez

How did they afford to Uber every child to school individually while they shelved all school-buses?
I guess recess is out too? No fun.

The covid knows not to cross county lines, only state lines.

It's a very obedient & woke virus. It even knows to leave rioters & social justice protestors alone.

mikec142

Yes

Very young. Son is full remote Kindergarten. Then we have a daughter who is almost 2. The school is doing their best with the programming, but all of the kids are struggling. You watch the other kids on Zoom and like my own, participation even with a parent over their shoulder is hit or miss. Hence my qualifiers on student age. Friends with older kids are reporting a much more positive remote experience.

As a qualifier, my wife and I put our kids education above all else. We have a college freshman and a HS junior. My youngest is in a hybrid situation. She has Monday and Thursday of a little over half day in person learning. Tuesday and Friday it's the same time frame, but remote. Wednesday is a full day of remote learning. Since school started, we've had two instances where there were Covid outbreaks (not related to school) that have caused the school to go full remote for two weeks. Basically, my kid has been in person maybe 10 days this year. She has said, more and more kids are electing for full remote as the in person situation is significantly less than ideal. My daughter is planning on attending in-person school for as long as it is available. Side note, my daughter's physics teacher is all remote. So even the one day a week when my kid has in person physics, she is sitting in the classroom on a zoom call.

That said, if we owned a second home that allowed us to ski/spend more time outside excercising/etc. I'd give full remote learning very serious consideration. We would be giving up very, very little and gaining a ton. Think about how much healthier people would be both physically and mentally. We've begun to supplement my daughter's education with reading and viewing of documentaries. This could also be done elsewhere. If you've ever watched the movie, A River Runs Through It, there's something to be said for supplementing formal education with time spent outdoors.

dlague

Put this in the wrong thread earlier

https://www.cnn.com/travel/amp/skiing-seasons-changes-coronavirus/index.html

This article has some interesting points! Some have been throughly vetted here but a few other points have been raised. As numbers increase will quarantine steps be required in states that did not require it before or even quarentine requirements coming hack to home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nhskier1969

I was wondering how the resort are going to do the lift lines. Will each lift line be seperated by the amount in your party? For example the quad line would have quads and triples in the same line, doubles in another line and then the singles line(I wouldn't want to be in that line this year)
Would they take the quad line for every other loading? Any thoughts?

urungus

I was wondering how the resort are going to do the lift lines. Will each lift line be seperated by the amount in your party? For example the quad line would have quads and triples in the same line, doubles in another line and then the singles line(I wouldn't want to be in that line this year)
Would they take the quad line for every other loading? Any thoughts?

I am expecting a single lift line, with groups of 1-4 people queued up 6 feet apart

drjeff

I am expecting a single lift line, with groups of 1-4 people queued up 6 feet apart

Pretty sure this will be the case, with maybe some lateral spacing between the queue lanes. Guessing that there will be no dedicated singles lanes on most any lift, short of maybe some quads and six packs where they'll take a single for each side.

The choice to pair up, or not, is likely going to all happen within the queue lanes this year, and not by line attendants pairing folks up