• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

Zermatt

Skiology Matt is a joke among most people with any real knowledge of the ski industry. I'm sure the same would hold true for those who are truly involved and in the know at the state level. It would be wise to not listen to him on those topics.
Probably is a joke but his article is spot on about the need for out of state skiers.

Also, for anyone that is still afraid of covid:

Current CDC best IFR estimate:

0-19 years: 0.00003 (1 in 33,333)
20-49 years: 0.0002 (1 in 5,000)
50-69 years: 0.005 (be careful)
70+ years: 0.054 (stay home)

KustyTheKlown

I loved his whole preemptive post all about how he's exempt from travel bans anyway since he's considered an "essential" employee due to being part of the media by running a ski blog. He thinks pretty highly of himself.

my eyes fell out of my head when i read that. come on man, you run a facebook blog. media my ass.

i can easily quarantine 7 days and get a test, which is my intention for the December trip, assuming sugarbush is open

JimG.

Staff member
my eyes fell out of my head when i read that. come on man, you run a facebook blog. media my ass.

i can easily quarantine 7 days and get a test, which is my intention for the December trip, assuming sugarbush is open
You have a better plan than most; if you want to ski in VT best to do so for 10-14 days minimum.

The assuming SB is open part will be the sticking point. I guess we will know more after Thanksgiving. If COVID surges again in mid-Dec ski season 20-21 will be toast.

So skiers are depending on the population to be smart and stay home in small groups to celebrate Tgiving, Not thinking that's a smart play for the betting man.

icecoast1

Will you be able to get tested even though you aren't showing any symptoms? Trying to do that around here is difficult to impossible

djd66

Current CDC best IFR estimate:

0-19 years: 0.00003 (1 in 33,333)
20-49 years: 0.0002 (1 in 5,000)
50-69 years: 0.005 (be careful)
70+ years: 0.054 (stay home)
Do you have a link to those numbers, I could not find it.

KustyTheKlown

Will you be able to get tested even though you aren't showing any symptoms? Trying to do that around here is difficult to impossible

yes in nyc all cityMD locations are no questions asked tests, and my insurance has covered 5 to date. there is a location 5 blocks from my apartment.

we mostly stay home but I've gotten tested everytime there's been a potential exposure because its free, local, and fairly fast. usually i walk in and don't wait. last week i waited outside for 30 minutes or so. results have a 48 hour turnaround.

Zermatt

yes in nyc all cityMD locations are no questions asked tests, and my insurance has covered 5 to date. there is a location 5 blocks from my apartment.

we mostly stay home but I've gotten tested everytime there's been a potential exposure because its free, local, and fairly fast. usually i walk in and don't wait. last week i waited outside for 30 minutes or so. results have a 48 hour turnaround.
What an epic drain on our system that you just get tested whenever you want, at our cost.

KustyTheKlown

What an epic drain on our system that you just get tested whenever you want, at our cost.

i've been tested 5 times in 8 months after potential exposures and/or prior to the two occasions i needed to see my high risk parents for family emergencies. and the city has urged its residents to get tested. i don't need to justify these responsible decisions to you. quickly remembering why i left forums.

abc

i have all this use it or lose it vacation time so i am off from dec 8 - jan 4. decided against my typical western ski christmas and instead reserved an airbnb near sugarbush for 11 days pre xmas (12/9-20). allows me to avoid the holiday rush and be home for my lady's bday (12/21) and xmas
Maybe you can hop on a plane to go out west?

Sure, everyone is warry of getting on a plane. But there's some study that are slowing appearing indicating planes aren't that risky ASSUMING MANDATORY MASKS. Maybe pick an airline that don't book middle seat?

Going west gets around the issue of no snow. But if the destination state requires quarantine, that could be a problem.

(I'm 90% sure I'm not getting a pass, probably won't resort ski. But for those who can and want to, stay safe and you should have fun!)

abc

Much more of a drain on "your" system if he doesn't get tested and spreads the virus around!

Don't go to the hospital when you're not at death's doorstep. It's a drain on "our system". Wait till you're much sicker and need much more invasive treatment.

Don't do any cancer screening, it's a "drain on our system". Wait till you have symptoms and now the system will spend a lot on surgeries and chemo to save you...

Don't go testing even if you're in contact with suspected people. It's a drain on the system!

Brilliant!

KustyTheKlown

Maybe you can hop on a plane to go out west?

Sure, everyone is warry of getting on a plane. But there's some study that are slowing appearing indicating planes aren't that risky ASSUMING MANDATORY MASKS. Maybe pick an airline that don't book middle seat?

Going west gets around the issue of no snow. But if the destination state requires quarantine, that could be a problem.

(I'm 90% sure I'm not getting a pass, probably won't resort ski. But for those who can and want to, stay safe and you should have fun!)

i had the cheapest colorado trip ever planned all booked for most of the summer for a-basin/copper/steamboat the same dates as the pending vermont trip, and i actually pulled the trigger and cancelled yesterday. i just don't feel good about air travel. i barely feel ok about new england car travel and skiing is the one thing that's getting me to consider leaving my little apartment-neighborhood park-grocery store bubble. driving a few hundred miles in my car alone just feels better to me than any kind of air travel and rented cars and etc

VTKilarney

Keep in mind that Vermont requires a PCR test to break quarantine early. The rapid antigen test is not accepted. Because of a recent spike in demand, it takes about 5-7 days to get the PCR test results. So your best case scenario is a quarantine of 12 days if you begin your quarantine in Vermont.

KustyTheKlown

Keep in mind that Vermont requires a PCR test to break quarantine early. The rapid antigen test is not accepted. Because of a recent spike in demand, it takes about 5-7 days to get the PCR test results. So your best case scenario is a quarantine of 12 days if you begin your quarantine in Vermont.

is that the brain swab? all my tests have been brain swabs, and down here results take about 48 hours. those brain swabs really get up there. not fun.

JimG.

Staff member
Here too. I was refused a test for my son before he left for college because he was not sick (no symptoms anyway). I tried to get one for no reason myself and was told the same thing.

I have heard that certain areas are getting free unlimited testing. Probably a NYC/LI thing.

I just don't want to deal with tests and quarantines every time I want to ski. But there should be testing for all no questions asked.

Last edited: