• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

BenedictGomez

I reported it. Masks ineffective? Save it for Breitbart.

I mean, I definitely believe masks work. I was the one who wrote about it here in March even when we were being told NOT to wear one by the "experts", AND that I thought it made no sense that they supposedly worked only by protected others & not the wearer. I say this so you & others dont attack what I'm about to say as anti-masker propaganda. Which is the fact is you'd be shocked at how little evidence-based, statistical, medical research there is to confirm this. VERY LITTLE. Despite what you're being breathlessly told, it's almost all anecdotal. Pretty strong anecdotal though. There is, however, a challenge study that's about to initiate in the U.K. whereby they intentionally try to give COVID19-naive patients COVID19. The volunteers do get paid if anyone's interested!

BenedictGomez

So 6ft or 1m because, there are conflicting views on that number too.

Six feet? I'll take the over.

The 6 feet thing is only because our "government masters" think that's all we can handle, but when talking about millions of aerosolized nanometer-sized viral particulates being expelled violently into the air, and which can linger for up to 3 hours without airflow....... yeah, I'll take the over.

There are reasons this thing is so infectious, science just hasnt been able to prove all of them yet.

BenedictGomez

If it was being spread in a restaurant environment believe me I would have it. We eat out 3 times a week on average.

If salmonella was spread in a restaurant believe me I would have got it at least once in my life. I've eaten in restaurants thousands of times.

BenedictGomez

I am physicist and I understand data can be manipulated and presented so that things can look the one wants. My biggest peeve is the media presenting graphs based on percentages when the sample size is small and stasitically not valid. Just one example.

My favorite is how the media switches data back & forth between total integers & per-capita figures, but always presenting it whichever way will make America look the worst possible with COVID19.

This example has at least been illustrative to me that either Americans in general arent solid at math or that most people are simply dumb, because I've noticed very few people have figured this out.

drjeff

My favorite is how the media switches data back & forth between total integers & per-capita figures, but always presenting it whichever way will make America look the worst possible with COVID19.

This example has at least been illustrative to me that either Americans in general arent solid at math or that most people are simply dumb, because I've noticed very few people have figured this out.
The "what's the most doom and gloom headline today" topic is so blatantly visible in my home state of CT by the local media.

If the total number, or sometime even percent of positive tests is up, that's the lead headline default all along.

If the percent positivity rate is down that day, but say the number of new hospital admissions for COVID is up, the new hospital admissions number is the lead headline.

Anytime the total number of deaths passes a "milestone number" (usually the next 100) thats the lead headline.

What never is mentioned is how many, both in terms of gross numbers and percentage have recovered.

It is a situation of scare the people and keep them scared in whatever way possible. Which likely in the not too distant future is going to take a MASSIVE effort on the part of the media to flip their messaging to get people out for vaccination and also back out and into a much more normal way of life and supporting so many businesses that may still be around to support

icecoast1

Nor do I, but Fauci's performance throughout COVID19 taken in its' entirety has been pretty awful IMHO.

My personal Fauci favorite was the interviews of him saying in February that this was nothing to worry about and wouldn't be a big problem for the USA. I wonder if those interviews can still be found or if big tech has censored them off the face of the earth?

EPB

Steezy Doug..wonder where he is. I skied with him..guy was good but had..interesting views on things.
Haha - I was pretty young before he got banned. I probably lurked around a bit before making an account, but I remember being perplexed as to how to interact with a dude like that. Funny you got the chance to make some turns with him.

Threecy came to mind later on, too. He had interesting insights into the industry but you kinda had to pull them out of some serious ramblings. I'm foggy on the details, but he absolutely would not let it go that the state of NH paid for a custom new double chair for Mittersill rather than buying a 30 year old used double when it re-opened. I can't remember if that was "the hill he died on" but it was definitely a part of it. That was probably 8-10 years ago now.