• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKI SUNDOWN: AZ Challenge 2007 Response/Feedback Thread

bvibert

Staff member
So, what you're telling me is...

the catch is that Brian works there.

Thanks Jim... You should try to come over this season. I'll try not to let the chair hit you in the back of the legs too hard... ;)

Seriously, the others have covered it well. The closeness is the big attraction. The company can be alright too... :)

2knees

I've watched for 2 years as you guys go hyper about this place. I just can't see a little feeder hill like this being that good. What's the catch?

And don't tell me the catch is that Brian works there.

Its almost like joining a beer league softball team. You know the competition (meaning the bump run) is easy but the fun factor is very high.

Greg

Staff member
Hiked the mountain this morning:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/17362-ski-sundown-hike-8-19-2007-a.html

The "widening" of Stinger seems pretty minimal so far. In fact, it's almost glade-like:

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_35151.jpg

Greg

Staff member
So here's the latest on Stinger from my reps at the mountain:
  1. The area that looks like a glade now will eventually have all its trees removed.
  2. "This change in Stinger has more than one possibility. The best scenario is, not putting features on upper Stinger as well as shifting the bulk of the features on lower Stinger to the skiers left. This could allow enough room to reopen Stinger for skiing/riding. There are other possibilities, but that would be best."
  3. They will not be expanding or cutting any higher or wider than what you see above. the character of Stinger will be preserved!
All good news for Stinger fans.

Grassi21

1. The area that looks like a glade now will eventually have all its trees removed.
  2. "This change in Stinger has more than one possibility. The best scenario is, not putting features on upper Stinger as well as shifting the bulk of the features on lower Stinger to the skiers left. This could allow enough room to reopen Stinger for skiing/riding. There are other possibilities, but that would be best."
  3. They will not be expanding or cutting any higher or wider than what you see above. the character of Stinger will be preserved!

That's some great news. They have to put the park somewhere but its great to see they are searching for a new way to configure the features.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
The best scenario is, not putting features on upper Stinger as well as shifting the bulk of the features on lower Stinger to the skiers left. This could allow enough room to reopen Stinger for skiing/riding. There are other possibilities, but that would be best."

Best Scenario? mixing up the scenarios based upon feedback and observations made by the crews that put everything together. all of this could result in a very unique park that doesn't have to be limited to rails and jumps....

Greg

Staff member
Best Scenario? mixing up the scenarios based upon feedback and observations made by the crews that put everything together. all of this could result in a very unique park that doesn't have to be limited to rails and jumps....

Cool. So you'll be seeding some bumps on Stinger too then? ;)

bvibert

Staff member

I took a walk up to stinger when I was at the ski swap on Sunday. The trees are all gone and it's been graded with grass starting to grow. The cleared out area was lower on the trail than I thought. Starting, actually, on the upper part of exhibition then cutting way over towards the old mid-station under lift 2 before swinging back towards the old edge of stinger a ways up from where lift 1 used to enter the woods. From what I could see the clearing was limited to the lower flatter section of stinger. I didn't venture up any further than that though since I was with the family and they were getting cranky, so I don't know if there was any additional clearing above that.

As Greg said, looks like good news for fans of the 'old' stinger! :D

Greg

Staff member
I took a walk up to stinger when I was at the ski swap on Sunday. The trees are all gone and it's been graded with grass starting to grow. The cleared out area was lower on the trail than I thought. Starting, actually, on the upper part of exhibition then cutting way over towards the old mid-station under lift 2 before swinging back towards the old edge of stinger a ways up from where lift 1 used to enter the woods. From what I could see the clearing was limited to the lower flatter section of stinger. I didn't venture up any further than that though since I was with the family and they were getting cranky, so I don't know if there was any additional clearing above that.

As Greg said, looks like good news for fans of the 'old' stinger! :D

Well, if anything, perhaps it will free Upper Stinger from terrain elements if they load them up all in the newly cleared area. I tend to ski skier's right on that trail so perhaps I can avoid most of the park stuff. But again, once the bumps are set up, I don't venture off them very much anyway and I'm praying for December bumps this season. Also, if I'm there on a powder day, I have several areas in mind that I plan to explore rather than the actual trails. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Well, if anything, perhaps it will free Upper Stinger from terrain elements if they load them up all in the newly cleared area. I tend to ski skier's right on that trail so perhaps I can avoid most of the park stuff.

I agree, thus the good news for Stinger fans. :)

Also, if I'm there on a powder day, I have several areas in mind that I plan to explore rather than the actual trails. ;)

Ditto..

ZOG

NASTAR @ Sundown?

That's the rumor. Anyone know for sure?