• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown (night): Thursday, 1/4/2007

Greg

Staff member
Figured I'd start some threads for the Wednesday night meetups in January. I won't be there this Wednesday as my youngest daughter is having surgery that day (ear tubes). I may try to do Thursday the 4th though...

Grassi21

Wednesday might be possible. If no one else steps up I would do Thursday.

Grassi21

Thursday sounds good. A little resurfacing would be nice. I tweaked my knee a bit last Friday. It feels much better compared to yesterday so I should be fine by Thursday.

loafer89

I will be there for thursday if that is looking like the meet up day. I wonder how much resurfacing they will do in the face of three days of rain in the forecast for next weekend. I guess they need to make snow at every oportunity this winter though.

Greg

Staff member
I made an executive decision ;) and changed the date for this one to Thursday, the 4th. If others want to do Wednesday instead, go ahead and start a new thread.

loafer89

I am in for thursday as well. Warren and I wanted to go to Sunday River next weekend now that they are up to 51 open trails, but there are two rainstorms forecast for next weekend:roll: :smash: , so it looks like the skiing on thursday will be it for this week.

Greg

Staff member
Forecast still looks good for snowmaking tonight and tomorrow night. Looks like we'll get in a session Thursday night right before some more NCP late at night into Friday.... :angry:

Hard to believe I'll be back there in a couple days. I was there 5 days in a row last week. Looks like they'll be able to open Sensation today (not that we'll be skiing it, but at least it qualifies as terrain expansion). There was quite a bit more snow on Saturday than last Wednesday so I think they probably survived yesterday's deluge. A couple nights this week should get them back on track. Hopefully Gunny and some additional snow for moguls on Nor'easter will happen soon.

It's been rough for the mighty Sundown, but from what I've seen so far this season with the amount of snow they're able to lay down given these short snowmaking windows, I'm very encouraged. Their ability to recover is impressive. When we get that multi-day stretch of snowmaking weather, look out! 8)

Again, I should be on skis before 7pm. I was a bit late getting to the sun deck last week, so how about we say 7:30 at the sun deck on Nor'easter, unless we bump into each other beforehand?

BTW, what ever happened to madskier6? I thought he was going to be part of the weekly Sundown crew?

loafer89

I will be there around 5pm and probably ski until 8-8:30pm as Warren is back in school. We are going to attempt a ski day over the weekend at Mount Snow weather permitting.

madskier6

BTW, what ever happened to madskier6? I thought he was going to be part of the weekly Sundown crew?

I'm still here and will make it to Sundown soon. I've had a lot going on recently at work and at home (all good things) so I've been too busy to make it to Sundown so far. I have, however, been watching the Sundown trip reports with interest to see how things are going. I'm looking forward to skiing it soon with you guys!

Greg

Staff member
I'm still here and will make it to Sundown soon. I've had a lot going on recently at work and at home (all good things) so I've been too busy to make it to Sundown so far. I have, however, been watching the Sundown trip reports with interest to see how things are going. I'm looking forward to skiing it soon with you guys!

Cool. Please don't think I was "calling you out"....I was just wondering if you were still planning on meeting up. The terrain is limited right now, but I expect it will get better with some extended cold....

madskier6

Cool. Please don't think I was "calling you out"....I was just wondering if you were still planning on meeting up. The terrain is limited right now, but I expect it will get better with some extended cold....

No problem, Greg. I didn't think you were "calling me out". I'm just glad that you remembered my interest in participating in these weekly get togethers. I never want to be left out of the group, even if I can't always make every get together.

bvibert

Staff member
I skied for a few runs tonight and it was pretty firm. They're anticipating blowing snow tonight and probably tomorrow night though, so it hopefully the conditions improve a bit for Thursday. I hope to be able to make it out with you guys then...

Greg

Staff member
Snowmaking took place last night and the forecast looks good for more resurfacing tonight. With warm temps and sunny skis tomorrow, I would expect a nice soft surface tomorrow. Should make for a good night!

Grassi21

Snowmaking took place last night and the forecast looks good for more resurfacing tonight. With warm temps and sunny skis tomorrow, I would expect a nice soft surface tomorrow. Should make for a good night!

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night. This will be my first trip to Sundown this season.

Greg

Staff member
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night. This will be my first trip to Sundown this season.

I think you'll be impressed with what they can offer despite the hand they were dealt this season. Just watch out for the mud bog on the way over to the lift! :blink: :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
I think you'll be impressed with what they can offer despite the hand they were dealt this season. Just watch out for the mud bog on the way over to the lift! :blink: :lol:

When I was there last night they had finally put down enough hay to make a pretty solid path across the mud. It's not ideal, but better than it was...

Greg

Staff member
When I was there last night they had finally put down enough hay to make a pretty solid path across the mud. It's not ideal, but better than it was...

Cool. That was getting pretty sloppy. My boots were taking a beating...

bvibert

Staff member
My boots have been getting pretty muddy, though I can't say I notice any extra wear and tear. I make sure I get them really clean before clicking into my bindings though...