• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown Opening Day 12/9/06

bvibert

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: 12/9/06

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown

Conditions: Groomed Man-made

Trip Report: I showed up to work, but with only two lifts running there was way more people than needed so I volunteered to go skiing instead. After some hassles with getting my pass squared away I was on the lift by 8:30. They only had one trail, Canyon Run, open at first due to mechanical difficulties with the groomers over night. Luckily they were able to get two of them fixed by a bit after 8 so they could start getting the rest of the trails taken care of. That one trail was a bit firm in most places at first, but skier traffic helped to loosen up quite a bit of it after a few runs. Things started to get a bit 'crowded' with lift lines of a minute or two, but with all those people on one slope it was a good thing they were finally able to open up Nor'Easter, Stinger, and Temptor by I guess 10 or so. I was there waiting, first in line, for the rope to drop and was able to score first tracks of the season on Temptor. After two runs on Temptor I hit up Stinger which didn't have all the terrain features on it yet. The top was littered with small death cookies, but otherwise nice. I made one run down Nor'Easter, which was groomed with some pretty big snow-making whales on it. I ended up only staying till a little after 11 due to some family obligations, with my final run being down Canyon which had the softest snow at that point.

All in all a great opening day and second day on skis for the season! I only wish my first day didn't feel like it was so long ago, my legs are definitely feeling it today. Sorry no pics, I was planning on doing more working than skiing today so I didn't bring the camera.

Greg

Staff member
Nice! Gonna head out there tomorrow night. First guy on Temptor this season? Very cool. Great to hear about the abundant snowmaking on Nor'easter, in anticipation of seeding the bumps, I'd imagine.

Grassi21

Good stuff. My first day at Sundown should be 12/20. I'd love to hit Stinger before it gets littered with all those terrain park features.

I was thinking of hitting Sundown with you guys on Sunday night but decided to go take the ride up to Catamount in the morning to get my pass and some turns in.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice! Gonna head out there tomorrow night. First guy on Temptor this season? Very cool. Great to hear about the abundant snowmaking on Nor'easter, in anticipation of seeding the bumps, I'd imagine.

I plan on heading up there tomorrow to make some runs with you guys. Hopefully I'm able to get my pass, turns out they didn't even have me on the schedule... :roll:

Be prepared for the snow to not be quite as nice as it looked at Hunter yesterday, although with the sun warming it up today and all the sliders I think it'll be a bit better tomorrow. Don't get me wrong I thought the conditions were pretty good at Sundown when I left today, it's just they looked better at Hunter in your vid...