• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier death at Shawnee Pa.

Cornhead

Worked for me, sad, only skied Shawnee once, didn't seem big enough to attain life threatening speeds, prayers to family and friends, way too young.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
:( man..... From Singapore as well. I couldn't imagine losing a child anywhere, but to have it happen half way around the world from home must be so tough.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Worked for me, sad, only skied Shawnee once, didn't seem big enough to attain life threatening speeds, prayers to family and friends, way too young.

IIRC their steepest slopes are in front of the lodge and another blue slope cuts across the three so I guess a noob could make a wrong turn and end up on a black ...You're right about not very steep but enough to panic a novice and freeze pointing the skis down hill.

Cornhead

IIRC their steepest slopes are in front of the lodge and another blue slope cuts across the three so I guess a noob could make a wrong turn and end up on a black ...You're right about not very steep but enough to panic a novice and freeze pointing the skis down hill.
The most memorable thing for me was their terrain park, I don't ski park, but if I did, I think id've liked Shawnee's, it was impressive, especially for such a small hill.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
The most memorable thing for me was their terrain park, I don't ski park, but if I did, I think id've liked Shawnee's, it was impressive, especially for such a small hill.

I havent been there since ski leashes , used to be weary of a runaway coming through the glass with the lodge directly below. Big Boulder has a great park from what I hear . Good marketing strategy if you can't compete with the vert.

Smellytele

It says she was with the ski team so not sure if she was a noob but they could have just meant ski club and not team.

BenedictGomez

If I have kids, Shawnee is where they'll learn; just a perfect place for that. IMO, the most "dangerous" spot at Shawnee is the hairpinn'ish turn at the bottom of Delaware (blue square) if beginners carry too much speed. But given the article claims ski patrol attended to the girl within "1 minute" of her crash, I do believe it's likely the fall occurred at the steepish base of the mountain by the lodge as others have suggested.

BenedictGomez

Did some searching and found the trail, Lower Tomahawk, which is near the bottom.

According to witnesses, Juliette Dajani, of Singapore, and a member of the Blair Academy Race Team, was skiing down Shawnee Mountain's Lower Tomahawk Trail at about 5 p.m. at a high rate of speed when she lost control and skied off the bottom of the trail, colliding with an orange safety fence

You can see the safety fence that goes around the lift in this image. Blunt trauma seems odd though, unless he violently hit her head on the ground or hit something solid after the safety fencing, like the lift tower, etc.. While they call this trail a black diamond, this would be a blue square pretty much anywhere in Vermont or Cats or DAX, etc..., which is par for the course for many Pocono trails.

hqdefault.jpg

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
If I have kids, Shawnee is where they'll learn; just a perfect place for that. IMO, the most "dangerous" spot at Shawnee is the hairpinn'ish turn at the bottom of Delaware (blue square) if beginners carry too much speed. But given the article claims ski patrol attended to the girl within "1 minute" of her crash, I do believe it's likely the fall occurred at the steepish base of the mountain by the lodge as others have suggested.

Camelback patroller friend said she hit a snow gun at neck and chest level , she died of traumatic internal injuries . There was no hope but EMS worked on her for 20 minutes anyway because of her age

BenedictGomez

Camelback patroller friend said she hit a snow gun at neck and chest level , she died of traumatic internal injuries

That makes more sense, as the snow fence story seemed odd. I wonder if this was before or after the fence, and how fast would someone have to be skiing to die from hitting a snow gun. It's an odd place to be screaming on skis, as it's as the run is ending, as well as where several trails all merge together.

dlague

That makes more sense, as the snow fence story seemed odd. I wonder if this was before or after the fence, and how fast would someone have to be skiing to die from hitting a snow gun. It's an odd place to be screaming on skis, as it's as the run is ending, as well as where several trails all merge together.
Things might have been icy which is bad with a not so good skier.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

It can happen in an instant! I witnessed yesterday at a certain mountain beloved here on AZ, located in Southern VT, with a great set of flagpoles, atleast 1 working chairlift most of the time, and new and improved now fully heated bathrooms, a young racer from a BIG Southern VT mtn that often is known for grooming everything FLAT, fall and slide off the side of the race course and go head first into what looked to be a 2x4 sized piece of wood that a fan gun electrical outlet box was mounted on and break the piece of wood!! :eek:

Fortunately from what we as parents via coaches were informed, this racer ended up with only a broken nose, likely a concussion and some bumps and bruises!

We often forget how little at times the "margin for error" is and how quickly, even in seemingly non "extreme" terrain that serious injuries can happen

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

It can happen in an instant! I witnessed yesterday at a certain mountain beloved here on AZ, located in Southern VT, with a great set of flagpoles, atleast 1 working chairlift most of the time, and new and improved now fully heated bathrooms, a young racer from a BIG Southern VT mtn that often is known for grooming everything FLAT, fall and slide off the side of the race course and go head first into what looked to be a 2x4 sized piece of wood that a fan gun electrical outlet box was mounted on and break the piece of wood!! :eek:

Fortunately from what we as parents via coaches were informed, this racer ended up with only a broken nose, likely a concussion and some bumps and bruises!

We often forget how little at times the "margin for error" is and how quickly, even in seemingly non "extreme" terrain that serious injuries can happen

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
Part of the reason my wife likes skiing Colorado. She rarely falls and is always in control, but..... if she did catch and edge she feels like there is more distance between obstacles.

Always sad to hear these stories.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app