• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2013-14 Edition

Cornhead

Because it's tied to your driver's license you think?

I wonder if you could bring passport next time and say you dont drive. Not everyone has a driver's license afterall.

No, they didn't ask for my license at Gore either time, they may have the second time, but they told me the voucher had already been redeemed. I thought I was home free when I was able to print all the vouchers out in my name using my Son's card. I think they have a record of everyone who's redeemed their voucher to ensure only one free visit.

dlague

I obtained some "extra" voucher cards myself. Do you think I'll be able to register more then once? Seems doubtful...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

I have used more than one but you have to change it up. drivers license is one of the values that can be entered but other things besides the Drivers license can be used which is what we had to do. since they are two fers if we have friends go with us then we also use their name. In addition, when you have minor they can not enter into agreements technically and that is a point at use at the ticket window.

dlague

BenedictGomez

No, they didn't ask for my license at Gore either time, they may have the second time, but they told me the voucher had already been redeemed. I thought I was home free when I was able to print all the vouchers out in my name using my Son's card. I think they have a record of everyone who's redeemed their voucher to ensure only one free visit.

You mean you tried to redeem the same voucher twice? LOL. Not sure how you thought that could work.

Cornhead

You mean you tried to redeem the same voucher twice? LOL. Not sure how you thought that could work.

No, my Son couldn't use any of his, so he didn't register with WM, he gave me his card with the code number on it. I registered using his card, my name, I had already registerd using my card, so I used a different email address. This may, or may not have been necessary. The site allowed me to log in and print out the vouchers. When I gave them the voucher at Gore, it recognized it as the same voucher I had given them before.

I don't remember if there is any way someone without a driver's licence can register. When you register your kids you use your licence number. I think if you used someone elses driver's licence number to register it may work. If they ask for your ID at the hill, I don't know if they'd go as far as making sure the numbers match the voucher, or just the names. Their computer still may have recognized, by name, that I'd already used a vocher. Or, it may be only concerned with making sure the driver's licence numbers don't match an already redeemed voucher. It would be impossible to try to redeem the same physical voucher, they keep them when you get your lift ticket.

Savemeasammy

How was the movie?

I saw this in Keene, NH a few weeks ago. Personally, I was a bit disappointed. It seemed like the skiing was a lot of the same stuff, just done by different people in different locations. They could have spent less time on bios and narratives (and politics!), and more time on skiing (or riding...)! The last WM film I saw at a theater was back in '89 - and I enjoyed it much more. Movie opinion aside, I WILL enjoy my day at Sugarbush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornhead

Has anyone tried registering their Warren Miller code in a different region? The owner of my local ski shop says it'll work. This year, for instance, Binghamton didn't get the Gore pass, Rochester did. I wonder if you could just claim you saw the film in Rochester and get their vouchers?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Too funny, I track Liftopia and they are the same deals (for the most part) that they had up there! Call it a Black Friday Sale and people check it out and find that the prices on that list are all mid week!

I guess they should call it a Mid Week Lift Ticket Black Friday Sale!

I hadn't tracked it so I wasn't sure.

I guess in some ways liftopia can only get so much margin out of a ticket depending on what they negotiation. I wonder how their business model works, do they prebuy quantities of tickets at a discount for sale on the site or are they set margins for each resort.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Too funny, I track Liftopia and they are the same deals (for the most part) that they had up there! Call it a Black Friday Sale and people check it out and find that the prices on that list are all mid week!

I guess they should call it a Mid Week Lift Ticket Black Friday Sale!

I agree with dlague. Unless the resorts offer no other alternatives at other times/venues, there is nothing special about those prices.

Interesting article in the WSJ about how retailers are dealing with Black Friday and still making good money. Mark it up to mark it down. I mean, like, WAY up. This is nothing new, but they are playing their hand hard. People want to come home and say that they got a wicked good deal. However, most people that do this ignore what a fair price should be, and the retailers know that. Black Friday is a great day to go skiing and boarding. :)

Retailers have special arrangements with suppliers. They expect to sell nothing at sticker price. Doesn't apply necessarily to ski resorts. I'll wait until ski season is in full swing before I grab from Liftopia. From what I can see, the industry has embraced the so-called "ticket wholesalers", their term, not mine. The best deals are still going to be "going standby", when the fuse is short and the demand is low.

ScottySkis

I hadn't tracked it so I wasn't sure.

I guess in some ways liftopia can only get so much margin out of a ticket depending on what they negotiation. I wonder how their business model works, do they prebuy quantities of tickets at a discount for sale on the site or are they set margins for each resort.

I asked a local ski hill ( plattty) they told me that liftopia gets about 20% of sale price from what you pay online.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
groupon

half off rentals, campton, nh (also yipit)

half off stone grinding tunup, south shore boston (also on living social, $35)
Inn of Six Mountains, near killington $50

Living Social
ridge and ski discount card, $26

eversave
day's inn, 2 nights for 2 people, $99. Pretty good deal, must be booked at least 35 days in advance. Most of the hotels are near major cities, so you'll have a little driving to do in the morning. Still a good deal, even for travel elsewhere.

fahz

I believe the mountains themselves are the ones that have data points that trigger it being the same person. What I don't understand is why that would matter? Why one person can't purchase multiple tickets get multiple vouchers and go to those areas multiple times is absurd. I live in a area where they have the movie two consecutive days, why shouldn't I be able to attend both days and still go skiing using the different vouchers from each day. From my experience to avoid the hassle I try to enter as many of the data points as I can differently. Use a different email, full middle name, initials, different id. I have learned to carry the Warren Miller contact info in my cell phone after going to Stratton and being denied. They no longer participate but it sucks to expect a free day and then be told no when you arrive. Or contact WM tell them your story and ask why you can't use the second voucher, I have had them reissue a voucher in the past. Try asking Gore why you were denied, it would be interesting what explanation they give. Last season a friend and I were able to use 6 vouchers at Sugarbush, but for some reason the bar code at the bottom printed so it was not readable on two tickets and they were denied. I dialed the Warren Miller number and was able to have them assist. "I remember the guy at Sugarbush saying that was about the smoothest he has ever seen a bad situation turned around with WM vouchers." I have never tried to register to a different venue, so I'm also curious if anyone has been successful with that?

No, my Son couldn't use any of his, so he didn't register with WM, he gave me his card with the code number on it. I registered using his card, my name, I had already registerd using my card, so I used a different email address. This may, or may not have been necessary. The site allowed me to log in and print out the vouchers. When I gave them the voucher at Gore, it recognized it as the same voucher I had given them before.

I don't remember if there is any way someone without a driver's licence can register. When you register your kids you use your licence number. I think if you used someone elses driver's licence number to register it may work. If they ask for your ID at the hill, I don't know if they'd go as far as making sure the numbers match the voucher, or just the names. Their computer still may have recognized, by name, that I'd already used a vocher. Or, it may be only concerned with making sure the driver's licence numbers don't match an already redeemed voucher. It would be impossible to try to redeem the same physical voucher, they keep them when you get your lift ticket.

This year the different forms of ID were Drivers License, Sate Isuued ID, SS Card, Passport, Military ID, School ID, parent/Guardian ID & Other

Last edited:

fahz

Maybe I should have just read the voucher. The fine print does say "Limit one voucher per person. Other restrictions may apply."

I believe the mountains themselves are the ones that have data points that trigger it being the same person. What I don't understand is why that would matter? Why one person can't purchase multiple tickets get multiple vouchers and go to those areas multiple times is absurd. I live in a area where they have the movie two consecutive days, why shouldn't I be able to attend both days and still go skiing using the different vouchers from each day. From my experience to avoid the hassle I try to enter as many of the data points as I can differently. Use a different email, full middle name, initials, different id. I have learned to carry the Warren Miller contact info in my cell phone after going to Stratton and being denied. They no longer participate but it sucks to expect a free day and then be told no when you arrive. Or contact WM tell them your story and ask why you can't use the second voucher, I have had them reissue a voucher in the past. Try asking Gore why you were denied, it would be interesting what explanation they give. Last season a friend and I were able to use 6 vouchers at Sugarbush, but for some reason the bar code at the bottom printed so it was not readable on two tickets and they were denied. I dialed the Warren Miller number and was able to have them assist. "I remember the guy at Sugarbush saying that was about the smoothest he has ever seen a bad situation turned around with WM vouchers." I have never tried to register to a different venue, so I'm also curious if anyone has been successful with that?

This year the different forms of ID were Drivers License, Sate Isuued ID, SS Card, Passport, Military ID, School ID, parent/Guardian ID & Other

BenedictGomez

Interesting article in the WSJ about how retailers are dealing with Black Friday and still making good money. Mark it up to mark it down. I mean, like, WAY up.

Yup. Black Friday has reached such a frenetic craze that they dont HAVE to issue great deals, and many dont. With the exception of some door busters, I think they should rename is Suckers Friday.

Taking that as inspiration, maybe I'll walk up to the ticket window and offer them a 16% discount!

That's good. Unless, of course, somebody comes up with 6-Minute Abs. Then you're in trouble.

The only way this is possible is if Gore is logging the Driver's Licenses. Seems unlikely IMO, buy hey, who knows.

I can tell you, however, that Sugarbush was VERY strict about it. My gf's nephew forgot his license in the car and they were not going to give him the ticket unless he produced it, so maybe there's something to it. I have a NY and a NJ driver's license, so I imagine I can pull that shenanigan at least twice if it is working by that number.

Has anyone tried registering their Warren Miller code in a different region? The owner of my local ski shop says it'll work. This year, for instance, Binghamton didn't get the Gore pass, Rochester did. I wonder if you could just claim you saw the film in Rochester and get their vouchers?

I've done that, and it does work, but I only did it out of laziness, not trying to beat a system. I dont really see why it would matter what town you register it too, all it does is issue you the piece of paper that says you must redeem with ID etc.... so the ID is still the key I think.