• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC Area Info

Zand

Awesome. And just think that was “6 inches” of snow!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Easily 15+ up high on Sugarloaf and Supreme. Base area had very wet cement but didn't take long to get up to the goods. Actually changed to heavy graupel for a time around 11:30.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Easily 15+ up high on Sugarloaf and Supreme. Base area had very wet cement but didn't take long to get up to the goods. Actually changed to heavy graupel for a time around 11:30.

Nice. Good day to be at Alta with the visibility.

Zand

Time to revive this thread, flying in 4 days!

I got 8 days in Utah in 2019... 3 at Alta, 2 at Snowbird, and 1 each at Brighton, Solitude, and Deer Valley. So I'm pretty good on the lay of the land and who has the terrain I like the most. My question going into this trip has entirely to do with how each resort is skiing in regards to the weather and next week's forecast.

Now that early next week is moving into the medium range, it looks like a warm sunny weekend will give way to a chilly trough midweek with clouds and mountain snow showers. Obviously this is most likely bad news (unless these snow showers end up over-producing which is always a possibility in Utah!) as most of this weekend's soft terrain will freeze solid.

That said, between the Ikon resorts, is there any terrain at any of them that might not soften up this weekend and maybe therefore be more skiable next week? On my last trip, my first day was similar... big freeze after a warm stretch. I skied Brighton that day and it was almost entirely groomers only, but I found a couple soft runs off Snake Creek (Doyle's Dive, Hard Coin, etc). My last day of that trip was also a freeze with light snow showers which I spent at Alta, which was mainly garbage except High Rustler for some reason. That said, if I do end up dealing with a freeze, which resort is likely to have the highest amount of still-skiable ungroomed terrain?

On the contrary, if the sun does come out and there's a good chance for spring corn, where would be the best place to go? I was thinking Deer Valley and their lower elevation might be a good sleeper on a spring day but they close for the season on Sunday so it's Cottonwoods only. Also, why does Solitude have so much terrain closed compared to the other 3 Cottonwood resorts? Brighton is 100% open still and Alta/Snowbird are close, but Solitude is only 75% open (with a lot of good stuff closed like Here Be Dragons and Parachute). What's up with that?

My plan was 2 days at Snowbird and 1 each at Alta, Brighton, and Solitude but with Solitude being light on terrain I may just do one SolBright day and take an extra day at Alta/Snowbird. Also, as a roller coaster enthusiast, looking forward to the final day of the trip which will be spent at Lagoon. Looks like a cool quirky park, so can't wait to check it out.

I'll have the non-skiing wife with me, so also looking for some nighttime recommendations. Staying in Midvale again, but both my previous trips were solo which meant hitting up random chain restaurants near the hotel every night. But this time I'm looking to check out a place or two in the city if anyone has any recommendations.

Trailboss, Jim K, and anyone else out there, PM me if you're on the hill. I have a couple friends out there that might be able to get out for a day but otherwise I'll be skiing solo so it would be fun to take a few runs and maybe find some good stuff I've missed before.

jimk

I think LCC and BCC will all be skiing pretty much the same. Yesterday - brighton and day before - Bird were both skiing great - powder and/or packed powder.
For your visit You want either fresh powder, or warmish temps and sunshine for good spring skiing. If you get in between, no new snow and coolish temps, then you get to sleep in with the wife each day and hit the slopes around 1030ish because the best skiing will be in the afternoon. If you can bring two skis I'd say a carver and an all mtn around 100mm. Use the carver in the AM and the all mtn in the PM ;)

MineralBasin is usually very nice when sun is out and temps over 32 degs and it warms up first at Snowbird. But all the others have terrain that will work like that too.

If you like mexican the Red Iguana and Red Iguana 2 are good, but often crowded. Maybe in April not too busy? They are both downtown and don't take reservations. Even cheaper mexican at Lone Star Taquria near base of BCC, good for drive thru. Porcupine Grill american food is pretty good and also near base of BCC. Also near base of BCC is Hog Wallow Pub, havent been but heard its good. Closer to Midvale Bohemian Brewery is pretty good, and for red meat at chain restaurant the Longhorn steakhouse is good.

If you settle on a firm schedule post it up so I'll know if we coincide. I'll be skiing Bird some days next week and maybe one day at Alta, but meeting friends and doing stuff with my non-skiing wife sometimes dictate my availability.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm at Brighton this afternoon and will do some recon for you. Deer Valley on Sunday. PCMR and Deer Valley close Sunday. Brighton is the 18th. Alta's soft closing is the 18th. They reopen the following weekend. Sundance is closed. Snowbasin is also closing this weekend.

Zand

Sounds like the peaks aren't getting all that warm so hopefully the protected north facing terrain says soft in the higher elevations. The Wednesday system is starting to sound a little more potent, would be nice to score a late season powder day!

With all the non-Cottonwood resorts closing do you see increased crowds at Alta or Snowbird midweek or has everyone pretty much moved on from skiing?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sounds like the peaks aren't getting all that warm so hopefully the protected north facing terrain says soft in the higher elevations. The Wednesday system is starting to sound a little more potent, would be nice to score a late season powder day!

With all the non-Cottonwood resorts closing do you see increased crowds at Alta or Snowbird midweek or has everyone pretty much moved on from skiing?
So we were really warm last week and the week before and then we got a couple cold fronts that have dropped us back to at least normal or a bit above normal in terms of temps. We have had some snow but not a lot as of late. Crowds are down--people are out of "days" or distracted by other pursuits now. Still pretty busy, but not too bad from what I have seen.

jimk

paul action dv 9 apr.jpg
Deer Valley was nice today apr 9. some slopes stayed firm, but many softened up nicely. it was sunny and about 45. Took this shot of a buddy of mine off empire lift.

snoseek

This time of year is pretty chill up in LCC. The powhounds will still come out when it snows but probably not the crushing volume you see from midseason. Here's to hoping the weather delivers for you. Snowbird is probably skiing the best right now but im not there so thats definitely a guess.

jimk

Funny and friendly dude playing electric guitar while skiing today at DV, he played Smoke on the Water for me, said he's made 120 of these custom rigs for on-slope music making with amp:
dv 9 apr guitar face.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
I did 2-8 today at Brighton. From Majestic down things softened in the sun—mainly turning to corn. Shaded areas did not soften. From Majestic up it stayed cold and the groomers were good but off that was iffy at best. Great Western softened up about 2:30 for the bottom 2/3. After dark it all hardened up pretty good. And I saw the BCC moose on the loose on 190 near Spruces. Drive safely!