• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmaking during business hours

Edd

It seems like they try to avoid doing that but occasionally fail due to wind shifts and other factors. Not my favorite thing.

KD7000

I would say that having a tower gun pointed right at a running chairlift would not be acceptable. (never had this happen). Getting blown by snow redirected by a gust of wind is inevitable at some point. (had this happen a few times)

Your question is somewhat abstract, though. Did you actually experience something that prompted this post? If so, did you speak with management/lift ops/ someone about it?

Cannonball

It seems like they try to avoid doing that but occasionally fail due to wind shifts and other factors. Not my favorite thing.

I would say that having a tower gun pointed right at a running chairlift would not be acceptable. (never had this happen).

Apparently it is all perspective. Edd, who is this "They" you speak of? Because "they" certainly aren't the Cannon Mountain snowmaking crew who are apparently specifically instructed to ONLY run snow guns that point directly at the lift.

And the point about it being unacceptable is probably true by any normal person's standards. As we rode the Zoomer chair this weekend through the pelting of wet snowguns (yes soaking wet despite subzero temps) we wondered if anyone at any other mountain would tolerate this. Then we skied down (and partly up) across snowmaking whales that were literally 15' high and blocking traverses.

So the answer is: yes it's unacceptable, but it's amazing what you can learn to tolerate.

ScottySkis

If temperatures are good then they should. I remember Hunter snow guns always going you had to bring Goggles and wear water proofs cost when going their.

drjeff

Yup, if an area needs to make snow to either open or improve a trail and a lift happens to be over that trail, so be it. Plus sometimes with the direction the wind may be blowing, getting some snowmaking spray while on the lift is unavoidable.

I highly doubt that any snowmaker will deliberately point a gun at a chair, as long term that makes it a PITA for the lifties too, especially if it's off hours and the lift isn't running and a few chairs get COVERED!

Cannonball

I highly doubt that any snowmaker will deliberately point a gun at a chair, as long term that makes it a PITA for the lifties too, especially if it's off hours and the lift isn't running and a few chairs get COVERED!

Saturday, powder day, Cannon was 1/2 hour late opening the lift because it was so encrusted from the snowmaking gun point directly at it all night that they couldn't run the lift. At some places the abnormal the normal.

SIKSKIER

Saturday, powder day, Cannon was 1/2 hour late opening the lift because it was so encrusted from the snowmaking gun point directly at it all night that they couldn't run the lift. At some places the abnormal the normal.

Did you mean Sunday?Saturday was very cold and sunny but no powder where I skied.

C-Rex

It's a necessary evil. Of course, I don't like it but as long as they aren't blowing snow on seemingly EVERY trail, I'm happy to deal with it.

DPhelan

was a little peeved that sundown was running guns all over the place last night, and that gunbarrel was closed despite sundown.com claiming they were 100% open. there were also a few areas on the trails themselves where the snowmaking created giant whales that you couldn't see until you were either on top of, or flying off the backside of them.

that being said, it's totally understandable that they have to get their snowpack up because it's supposed to be 60 degrees and raining on sunday. was just hoping to make some early season turns in real snow last night!

planb420

Is it acceptable for skiers/riders to get blasted by snowmaking guns while they are riding up chairlifts?
I pose this question to you in response to your question......HOW BAD DO YOU WANT THE SEASON TO START EVERY YEAR??? Of course its acceptable, fire em up and get those ropes down IMO
:slap:

C-Rex

was a little peeved that sundown was running guns all over the place last night, and that gunbarrel was closed despite sundown.com claiming they were 100% open. there were also a few areas on the trails themselves where the snowmaking created giant whales that you couldn't see until you were either on top of, or flying off the backside of them.

that being said, it's totally understandable that they have to get their snowpack up because it's supposed to be 60 degrees and raining on sunday. was just hoping to make some early season turns in real snow last night!

I ate it pretty hard off that whale at the entrance to the park last night. Definitely hard to see in some areas. But it was more my fault for assuming it would drop off more gradually. Snow was really nice though!

DPhelan

I ate it pretty hard off that whale at the entrance to the park last night. Definitely hard to see in some areas. But it was more my fault for assuming it would drop off more gradually. Snow was really nice though!

totally. those two on the steep pitch on stinger could have killed someone. i'm all for personal responsibility, but that's one area that they definitely should have waited until close to fire up the guns on. i saw plenty of patrollers, off-duty instructors, and mountain ambassadors skiing around...they definitely had the resources to throw a few ropes up

millerm277

Of course it's fine. I mean, you shouldn't be going out of your way to cause it, but it's not that hard to cover your face for 10-20 seconds.

Usually most areas will try to cut down on the snowmaking on open runs on the weekends, I think for both safety (visibility) and because most people don't enjoy it. (I am more than willing to ski in the guns for some soft snow).

Puck it

Yes, sorry I meant Sunday. It's all a blur at this point. Although I did find some freshies on Saturday too (gotta know where to look).

The chunbks were a few inches thick. And those whales on Zoomer are almost a week old. They must be dry by now!!!!

dlague

Does not seem much different then skiing down a trail that has guns blasting. I have never really thought about it and just covered our face for a bit. I have been at Killington, early season and some trails were covered with snow guns and it was actually fun to ski through except for the noise. Then again that noise is music to my ears!

I am with others, if it opens up terrain faster so be it!