• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So EpicSki has basically been bought by Vail Resorts ...

Warp Daddy

i started over there , got some great advice on skis when i first started out . met some super people on line TREKIE and Phil and a few others BUT FRANKLY havent been back in years It is a mite too technical and focuses exclusively on the West. i was looking more foe a friendly , down to earth , forum of other ski nuts who both had a sense of humor , a deep love of the sport anqd an EASTERN bias , so between AZ and Harvey Road which is a NYS focused blog i get what i need .

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Harvey's site is cool, I posted there a few times as well.

Trekchik and Philpug are cool also.

re: the paid memberships, I've seen many forums that have that, I think basically you get a little tag next to your name that says "supporter" or something and they often times have "members only" forum where you can talk exclusively to other members and it's all hidden from the main membership.

I feel like that kind of segregates the crowd though. I dunno. It did cross my mind but I didn't really see how it would benefit. I think our advertisers pay for the lights here and that's good with me.

Warp Daddy

Right on Nick , keep it easy and friendly and informative ,no need for segregation or status or any of that stuff . im very satisfied after all these years .

Philpug

Would be interested in hearing from treckchik or philpug on it. Gut instinct says it won't change their community too much.

We are in a be business as usual mode at this point. I am sure the Epicski name is important to them. We deal with Northstar (a Vail resort) on a daily basis and we have had nothing but a professional interaction with them.

darent

Harvey's site is cool, I posted there a few times as well.

Trekchik and Philpug are cool also.

re: the paid memberships, I've seen many forums that have that, I think basically you get a little tag next to your name that says "supporter" or something and they often times have "members only" forum where you can talk exclusively to other members and it's all hidden from the main membership.

I feel like that kind of segregates the crowd though. I dunno. It did cross my mind but I didn't really see how it would benefit. I think our advertisers pay for the lights here and that's good with me.

being a supporter helps to defray the cost of the site, now that sites have sponsors and advertisers I think that might be a thing of the past, we will see.I never thought being a supporter as segregation, It just allowed you to have access to certain things, dicounts to ESA events, some online buying deals and the ability to PM a member at a location you were thinking of skiing and getting good info .I use alpine zone for the same things because I ski mostly east coast,but epic is a great resource for all skiing related tidbits

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That makes sense. I guess I always thought of it like that.

I have a feeling implementing "supporter" around here wouldn't go over well. :dontknow: