• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Squaw Valley is now not racist

FBGM

I guess Squaw is racist. Bets on new name?

My vote is Butthole Valley

Second is Snowflake Valley

Possible to just name in Bay Area Tourist Trap

urungus

About time. My guess is they use “Alpine Meadows” for the whole resort now.

From https://www.sfgate.com/renotahoe/article/Squaw-Valley-Tahoe-to-change-name-new-name-15511748.php

they spent the summer researching the etymology and history of the word "squaw" and talking to local residents, community members, as well as leaders of the Washoe Tribe, whose ancestral land includes Lake Tahoe and the valley the ski resort is located in.

The Washoe Tribe condemned the use of the slur, both in general and especially in regard to their homeland. Darrel Cruz, director of historic preservation for the Washoe Tribe, said that Cohen and his team have been engaged with the tribe throughout the summer. Cruz told SFGATE that he felt Cohen understands the impact of this word on the tribe.
"He is sincere about the feelings of the tribe and what it means," Cruz said. "It's almost like a wound being healed once they remove that name."

p_levert

Personally, I am not really on board with "squaw" being racist. But that's ok, I can live with a name change.

My suggestion would be "Emigrant Valley", since Emigrant Peak is already there.

drjeff

I hope it's not going to end up being the way over homogenized "Lake Tahoe Resort" that I have seen as a likely candidate on a few ski related social media pages today.... :puke::sadwalk::smash:

mister moose

Ski Sundown has a trail called 'Papoose'. Along with Exhibition(ist), Tom's Treat, and Gunbarrel.

kbroderick

I guess Belleayre will have to change all of it's trail names now?

I think there's a significant difference between naming things after specific nations and naming a place using an ethnic and gender-related slur. If those nations were to object—to either the specific name (e.g. "Sioux" vs "Oceti Sakowin") or to the context in which it is used—the respectful thing to do would be to change it.

Consider also FSU's Seminoles vs the Washington Redskins. While some people don't agree, the Seminole leadership seems to be solidly in favor of the relationship with FSU, whereas the Redskins name doesn't seem to have a whole lot of indigenous fans.

Last edited:

NYDB

^ exactly. I am not sure if those who miss the nuance are playing dumb for internet argument sake or are really not that bright.

Maybe Alterra can work with the local Native Americans and come up with an name they feel isn't offensive but actually honors the Washoe Tribe and their ancestral lands.

Last edited:

p_levert

^ exactly. I am not sure if those who miss the nuance are playing dumb for internet argument sake or are really not that bright.

Maybe Alterra can work with the local Native Americans and come up with an name they feel isn't offensive but actually honors the Washoe Tribe and their ancestral lands.

Washoe Valley. Works for me.

JimG.

Staff member
playing dumb for internet argument sake

This.

We here are all intelligent and aware of nuances. There is a high school in my area with the nickname "Indians". Named in honor of the local tribes here. All of those tribes have come out in favor of keeping that nickname. They consider it an honor as it was intended. Which has only inflamed the anti-"Indian" contingent. This is a slippery slope we are on now; a hardcore group whose goal is to eliminate such names will now seek legal remedy even though the allegedly harmed party does not wish it. No more room for personal or group choice. Everyone must conform.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me".

BenedictGomez

I think there's a significant difference between naming things after specific nations and naming a place using an ethnic and gender-related slur.

Anyone who claims "squaw" is contemporarily used colloquially as a common anti-indian slur is completely full of s**t.

And as someone who owns more books on Colonial American history than most people own books, I hesitate to believe "squaw" was ever widely used as an anti-Indian pejorative. Nevertheless, conceding that it may have been 170 or 200 years ago doesnt change the fact that it certainly isnt today.

Once again,as is common in 2020, this largely self-righteous & phony, attention-seeking virtue-signalling.

BenedictGomez

It's that simple is it?

Okay then, now explain "BlackHawks" - it was demanded they change their name too (they refused).

Alternatively, do "any of a number of vanilla American Indian tribe names for high schools & colleges" recently demanded to change (some did, some didnt).

And if you TRULY believe generic Indian tribe names or even "Indians" is problematic, then why dont you agree the same generic names for any other team is not problematic - Do you think the, "Fighting Irish" need to immediately change their name?