• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Squaw Valley is now not racist

icecoast1

As I mentioned before, New York State & New York City are named in honor of the Duke of York, who chartered the area in the 17th century.

That Duke was also, numerically, one of, if not the largest slave trader in the history of the world. And I mean that, literally, not hyperbolically.

Where's all the clamoring from the (surely white) Social Justice Warriors that the state name must be changed? Crickets. I'll let others talk among themselves about how that's possible. I think I know.

So many of New York towns cities and county's are named after people who once owned slaves and/or native american tribes, the social justice warriors could have a field day with it

jimk

I can't help thinking a lot of the politicalization that's going on in pro sports this summer is similar to what happened to the Olympics in the 1980s. We boycotted the Soviet Union and they boycotted us - everyone lost.

p_levert

In 1870? When exactly are you claiming this was in "wide usage" in the English language as a racist term?

I've read tons of contemporary writings from the 18th century to mid-19th century on American history & have read more times than I can count Indians referred to in terrible ways, "monsters", "beasts", "savages", "creatures", "animals", numerous Latin words that I had to look up because I cant speak Latin, and others. Horrible stuff. But I cant recall hearing squaw, which is derived from an actual Indian word used as a racist insult, let alone commonly. So it aint common.

And I cant seem to find much of anything claiming "squaw" is a racist term other than in very recent years. Which makes sense given Squaw Valley is nearly 75 years old, and all of a sudden this is instantly a massive Civil Rights issue (sarcasm) that was apparently hiding in plain sight for the better part of a century. In far-left, uber liberal California no less!!! As if a racist name would have been allowed for 75 minutes in California let alone 75 years.

No, the Occam's Razor answer is that this is yet another example of a nouveau faux-woke, faux outrage issue born from (surely white) Social Justice Warrior academia. C'est 2020.

Dude, this is why many people find you obnoxious (including me, for sure). KBroderick posted a very reasonable response on the issue of whether "squaw" is a racist term. You replied, which is fine. But you didn't quote all of what KBroderick wrote, only a portion. This is classic misinformation, taking little things out of context. Please quote the entire original post, like pretty much everyone else on this forum.

And how about getting rid of the bold in your editing? Again, this distorts the intent of the original poster. Again, nobody else does this, just you.

BenedictGomez

you didn't quote all of what KBroderick wrote, only a portion. This is classic misinformation, taking little things out of context. Please quote the entire original post, like pretty much everyone else on this forum.

I assume that the non-morons (pretty much everyone) on this board are reading the thread & know what was commented. There's nothing more annoying then when someone thread-quotes War In Piece when replying to a post, especially if they're only replying to a subsection of that person's post.

And MOST people here, and on every internet forum I know, do this, not "only" me, because most people here arent elderly people starting out on the internet. If you paid any attention, I (and pretty much everyone else) do this in all threads, not just controversial threads. But do go on with your silly little conspiracy theory about "changing intent", as if nobody here actually read the thread except you!

p_levert

I assume that the non-morons (pretty much everyone) on this board are reading the thread & know what was commented. There's nothing more annoying then when someone thread-quotes War In Piece when replying to a post, especially if they're only replying to a subsection of that person's post.

And MOST people here, and on every internet forum I know, do this, not "only" me, because most people here arent elderly people starting out on the internet. If you paid any attention, I (and pretty much everyone else) do this in all threads, not just controversial threads. But do go on with your silly little conspiracy theory about "changing intent", as if nobody here actually read the thread except you!

This is a classic BG post. Partial quote, rant about morons. BTW it's "War and Peace" not "War in Piece". Guess you're a moron. Don't you know how to read? (I am employing BG style, I don't believe in posting like this.)

p_levert

Dear BG,

I have never had a problem with anyone on this board, only you. You, OTOH, have a collection of people that are pissed off at you. How come?

I would maintain that there's two issues here, and they play into each other.

Issue #1: Your posts lean toward rude and you frequently distort. But, you know what, lots of internet boards have people that are rude and distort, so see #2.

Issue #2: You post WAY too much. Honestly, if you didn't feel compelled to post on every single subject, people wouldn't even notice #1, because every internet board has its trolls.

You'll be happier if you post less and you'll save tons of time. I recommend killing off BenedictGomez and giving yourself a new identity. Then post less. Try it, it will be great.

BenedictGomez

I have never had a problem with anyone on this board, only you.

There's a simple remedy for that, it's called "blocking" the poster.

To be fair, I know that's another, "starting out on the internet" thing, but if you Google it you'll figure it out.

Try it, it will be great.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Dear BG,

I have never had a problem with anyone on this board, only you. You, OTOH, have a collection of people that are pissed off at you. How come?

I would maintain that there's two issues here, and they play into each other.

Issue #1: Your posts lean toward rude and you frequently distort. But, you know what, lots of internet boards have people that are rude and distort, so see #2.

Issue #2: You post WAY too much. Honestly, if you didn't feel compelled to post on every single subject, people wouldn't even notice #1, because every internet board has its trolls.

You'll be happier if you post less and you'll save tons of time. I recommend killing off BenedictGomez and giving yourself a new identity. Then post less. Try it, it will be great.
Nothing wrong with posting a lot....if the content is good.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

In 1870? When exactly are you claiming this was in "wide usage" in the English language as a racist term?

I've read tons of contemporary writings from the 18th century to mid-19th century on American history & have read more times than I can count Indians referred to in terrible ways, "monsters", "beasts", "savages", "creatures", "animals", numerous Latin words that I had to look up because I cant speak Latin, and others. Horrible stuff. But I cant recall hearing squaw, which is derived from an actual Indian word used as a racist insult, let alone commonly. So it aint common.

And I cant seem to find much of anything claiming "squaw" is a racist term other than in very recent years. Which makes sense given Squaw Valley is nearly 75 years old, and all of a sudden this is instantly a massive Civil Rights issue (sarcasm) that was apparently hiding in plain sight for the better part of a century. In far-left, uber liberal California no less!!! As if a racist name would have been allowed for 75 minutes in California let alone 75 years.

No, the Occam's Razor answer is that this is yet another example of a nouveau faux-woke, faux outrage issue born from (surely white) Social Justice Warrior academia. C'est 2020.

Nope - hardly a 2020 thing. The removal of the word squaw from place names has been going on for decades.

jimk

Question for the AZ collective: what other ski areas have made a name change, for what reason, and approximately when?

In Southern PA the resort now known as Liberty Mountain Resort was originally called Charnita when it opened in the 1960s. Around 75 or 80 it changed owners and was renamed Ski Liberty (it's pretty near the Gettysburg National Battlefield and I think that's where the Liberty came from). Around 2005 it was rebranded as Liberty Mtn Resort.

Purgatory ski area in CO was rebranded about 10-15 years ago as Durango Mtn Resort. Then about five years ago it was bought by a new owner and returned to the name Purgatory Resort.

What else you got? Thanks.

mbedle

I am going to venture that there are 100s of ski areas that have gone through name changes, typically associated with change in ownership.

mister moose

Roundtop [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]→ Bear Creek [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]→ Plymouth Notch
Pleasant Mountain [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]→ Shawnee Peak
Mt Pisgah [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]→ Killington [/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]