• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Squaw Valley is now not racist

ceo

Roundtop → Bear Creek → Plymouth Notch
Pleasant Mountain → Shawnee Peak
Mt Pisgah → Killington

Mt. Pisgah is the former name of the mountain Mount Snow is on; the ski area was never named that. Killington has always had the same name, after its mountain (and it's actually a remarkably terrible name for a ski area).

mister moose

Mt. Pisgah is the former name of the mountain Mount Snow is on; the ski area was never named that. Killington has always had the same name, after its mountain (and it's actually a remarkably terrible name for a ski area).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killington_Peak
"In 1763, the mountain was known as Pisgah. "
It's an earlier name of the mountain. Yes, the ski area never had that name.

kancamagus

Killington has always had the same name, after its mountain (and it's actually a remarkably terrible name for a ski area).
Killington was aptly named after the ancient word for "crossover trail junction".

/s

Hawk

Roundtop [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]→ Bear Creek [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]→ Plymouth Notch
Pleasant Mountain [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]→ Shawnee Peak
Mt Pisgah [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]→ Killington [/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

OMG are we going to see Pleasant Mountain - Shawnee Peak - Pleasant Mountain? LOL

Hawk

BG, it is obvious that this kind of thing really fries your ass. (The name changes due to public perception) What is the history with you and that kind of thing? I mean for most it's not that big a deal. I just want to understand why it's such a problem for you.

BenedictGomez

BG, it is obvious that this kind of thing really fries your ass. (The name changes due to public perception) What is the history with you and that kind of thing? I mean for most it's not that big a deal. I just want to understand why it's such a problem for you.

Huh?

BenedictGomez

Why does the changing of the name Squaw Valley piss you off so much?

It doesn't. It's moronic & fake, but it doesn't "piss me off" in the least.

Only reason I presume you're bringing this up (in a weird manner) is that you clearly want to reinvigorate this subject.

Hawk

No I want to understand why people get so fired up about this kind of shit. I could not care in the least if they change Squaw to any other name. It has no affect on me.

Smellytele

No I want to understand why people get so fired up about this kind of shit. I could not care in the least if they change Squaw to any other name. It has no affect on me.

Its not the name change per say it is the fact that they want you to think that they care and they are just doing it to look like they care.

Hawk

That very well may be the case but why is that a big deal in the grand scheme of things? Again I could not care less if they change the name. I just care if they open next year so I can go ski with my friends that live there.