• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

fbrissette

Anyhow, all the moves made by this administration so far are strongly Republican. Even it Jared and Ivanka are Democrats, they don't seem to have much of an influence anyway.

benski

There's been very little consistency in ideologies by the Kushners and Trumps along traditional party lines. Both families mostly seem to be Kleptocrats.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
Inconsistency seems to be the most consistent aspect to Trump policy. It seems for every policy he puts out there, there is a Trump tweet calling it a bad idea.

bigbog

Anyhow, all the moves made by this administration so far are strongly Republican......

Not taking sides as I like a few of the chosen cabinet members, but it seems as though winning the political warfare is the only thing that has mattered to the Conservatives in Congress for the last 9 years and now are doing their best to make things comfortable, insurance-wise for their wealthy friends.
I hope some of the people Trump has gotten into government can come up with some ideas that'll work for everyone, not just his friends who've lent him millions and who've steered him to the best tax advisors, cause the way this real estate boy thinks through issues makes Dubya look like another Albert Einstein.

Last edited:

jack97

Not taking sides as I like a few of the chosen cabinet members, but it seems as though winning the political warfare is the only thing that has mattered to the Conservatives in Congress for the last 9 years and now are doing their best to make things comfortable, insurance-wise for their wealthy friends.
I hope some of the people Trump has gotten into government can come up with some ideas that'll work for everyone, not just his friends who've lent him millions and who've steered him to the best tax advisors, cause the way this real estate boy thinks through issues makes Dubya look like another Albert Einstein.

Depends what side of the politics and investment one is on.....

1. Pulling out of the Paris (non treaty) agreement stands to save many in terms of money. This is a tax on energy producers that consumers eventually pay.

2. Limiting the H2 visa for high tech workers. A back door policy where high tech giants such as Google, Yahoo and so on have leveraged cheaper wages for their work force.

fbrissette

Politics on Alpine zone? I thought it was a no-no.

it's the off-season...

As a Canadian, in the past 6 months, I have not had a lunch or dinner (business/friends) where we did not talk about US Politics. Really fascinating what is happening right now. Kleptocracy and nepotism in the White house to a level never seen before. A president with obvious psychological issues who only cares about winning, and who does not seem that interested in the legislative process, and a war against the environment and science in general. Add that to a dysfunctional congress and senate and you have a recipe for nothing good happening.

You guys desperately need a third political party.

Tin

it's the off-season...

As a Canadian, in the past 6 months, I have not had a lunch or dinner (business/friends) where we did not talk about US Politics. Really fascinating what is happening right now. Kleptocracy and nepotism in the White house to a level never seen before. A president with obvious psychological issues who only cares about winning, and who does not seem that interested in the legislative process, and a war against the environment and science in general. Add that to a dysfunctional congress and senate and you have a recipe for nothing good happening.

You guys desperately need a third political party.

hey-girl-ill-cover-your-preexisting-condition-imgflip-com-good-19977859.png

dlague

Thanks for bring this back around! It was getting very political.

What I find fascinating and makes me wonder - what if EB-5 funding had not dried up and the projects in Newport were successful as well as plans for Burke and the Airport? He might have gotten away with this mess. It was a gamble of sorts that could have been a success if the cards played out right!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks for bring this back around! It was getting very political.

What I find fascinating and makes me wonder - what if EB-5 funding had not dried up and the projects in Newport were successful as well as plans for Burke and the Airport? He might have gotten away with this mess. It was a gamble of sorts that could have been a success if the cards played out right!

Probably not. He (allegedly) started out in the hole. He used EB-5 monies to BUY Jay Peak and then had a hole he continually had to fill. Like any Ponzi scheme it fell apart when he lost new money.

I think it will be interesting to see what MSSI says. Was it a wink-wink kind of deal and MSSI should have at least suspected that Q used EB-5 money to buy the resort? What did MSSI do to ensure that he had the money in the first place? It is clear that he laundered the EB-5 money to buy the resort. It is also clear that he liked the idea of being rich.

BenedictGomez

As a Canadian, in the past 6 months, I have not had a lunch or dinner (business/friends) where we did not talk about US Politics.

As an American, in my lifetime, I have not had a lunch or dinner (business/friends) where we talked about Canadian Politics.

This is too good not to share:

That's just bizarre.

There was literally no chance of this ever being a success. The giant biotech project in Newport was so completely absurd, that it was clear (as we now know) that State of Vermont did absolutely zero due diligence or fact-checking for it. Anybody who has even casual experience in the biotech world would laugh at the entire "plan" as I did. I confidently wrote here years ago that that project would never get off the ground - it really was that easy of a call.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There was literally no chance of this ever being a success. The giant biotech project in Newport was so completely absurd, that it was clear (as we now know) that State of Vermont did absolutely zero due diligence or fact-checking for it. Anybody who has even casual experience in the biotech world would laugh at the entire "plan" as I did. I confidently wrote here years ago that that project would never get off the ground - it really was that easy of a call.

Vermont is not out of the woods on this one. The State has been sued by numerous parties for the claims of oversight that were NOT actually happening. It also shows that Q took advantage of the naivity...whether intentional or not...of public officials at the state level.

What is most upsetting is that Shumlin landed a job at Harvard as adjunct faculty teaching students about government (utterly laughable) and that Moulton moved on to yet another government job as the President of VTC. Both of them put the State in a bad spot and yet they get rewarded. Disgusting.

The average Joe does not understand that businesses now will NOT want to invest in ANY Vermont projects because of this shit show.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is it the specific plan or a general belief that Biotech companies don't work in rural areas?

Jackson Laboratories in Bar Harbor Maine employs 1300 people. I know it's much more common for biotech companies to be located near cities or large research universities, but some do locate in remote areas. So, I don't think the idea of having such a firm near Newport is that crazy.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The parent company in S Korea had pretty much failed already and there were a string of other issues that raised red flags that were ignored.

Good list from this article in 2015.

https://thevpo.org/tag/anc-bio-korea/

[FONT=&quot]— AnC Bio Vermont is partnered with AnC Bio Korea, which has developed some promising products but has also been in severe financial straits for several years. How severe? Try “its headquarters was auctioned off in 2012” severe.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Vermont firm is a separate corporation, but it’s entirely dependent on the Korean company for the intellectual property that would be the lifeblood of a Newport plant.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]— Stenger’s group said nothing about AnC Bio Korea’s difficulties in its filings with investors or its communications with the state. Galloway: “State officials… weren’t aware of AnC Bio Korea’s problems until in the course of their own research in May 2014, they learned that the Korean headquarters had been sold at auction to satisfy banks and other creditors.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]— After learning of the Korea mess, the state ordered the Stenger group to cease any communication with investors about the Newport plan. This order was ignored. Thanks, Bill.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]— Here’s a biggie buried deep in the story. The proposed site of the factory (plus 18 nearby acres) was purchased in 2011 for $3.1 million by a corporation owned by Stenger’s partner Ariel Quiros. Part of the land was sold to the EB-5 consortium, little more than a year later, for $6 million. That’s a tidy profit for Mr. Q. He’d profit even more if the plant is built and his 18 acres are adjacent to a booming factory.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]— AnC Bio has yet to seek or receive FDA approval for any of its products, usually a lengthy process. Stenger: “…the FDA approval of products and services will in part be facilitated by the completion of the building.”[/FONT]