• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm Feb 1-2?

slatham

Too far out with poor model performance. Yes there will be a storm, but placement and track all over the place.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It certainly looks like a Mountain Creek/Thunder Ridge/Powder Ridge/Yawgoo special. However, today's storm came over 100 miles north compared to what was forecasted 5 days out.

Magic was awesome last Friday. They got 5" more today. If this storm comes north and dumps a foot it could very well be all-time epic conditions in southern VT. They've already got the deepest base in the region. Kinda a sucker winter for places north of Sugarbush. To put it this way...Killington has 131" of snow for the year, Jay has 149". Usually the difference is over 50" by this point in the winter. The Mansfield snow stake is 10" below average for this time of year.

kingslug

Watched a youtube short movie series on abandoned ski areas in Colorado..Most are gone due to many reasons but a big one..Snow ..or the lack of it. Everyone said the same thing. We could not compete with mega resorts that can blow snow. Some of them are now being used as avi/snow science learning centers. And you can skin up them all you want. I-70 didn't help them either.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Watched a youtube short movie series on abandoned ski areas in Colorado..Most are gone due to many reasons but a big one..Snow ..or the lack of it. Everyone said the same thing. We could not compete with mega resorts that can blow snow. Some of them are now being used as avi/snow science learning centers. And you can skin up them all you want. I-70 didn't help them either.

I don't know the location of these lost resorts, but if there are any that don't require using I70 I bet they'd still be open today....people need that alternative with the traffic (from what I hear).

Vail also decided not to fund the cloud seeding operations in CO this year. Supposedly it increases snowfall by 5% in areas. They've gotten roughly 150" of snow this year...that extra 7.5" would certainly help!

Zand

Copper is reporting 85" so far this year. Insane.

It's not rare to see Jay outpace some of those areas though. Jay averages 100" more per year than many of the I-70 areas. They're more on pace with Killington and Sugarbush, they just dont get the meltdowns. But don't confuse their annual snowfall with Utah either.

kingslug

Snowbird and Alta are at 175..and this hasn't been a good season for them. Its why we picked Stowe..They get a lot. Although this year its been the south getting it. NC had some banner days..Want to see crowds..Check out pics of Beech. Makes ours look empty. Jay betters some CO resorts regularly..
What you don't get at 11000 feet is obviously rain ...thats our killer. Although I was Alta after a rare rain event and it had a crust that was there a long time..I hit it at speed and went flying. Everyone was like WTF is this stuff. Global weirdness.