• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe, 1/20/08 - Sunday of MLK Weekend

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
After a nice mellow Saturday at MRG with my daughter, early-bird Bill chose to slip out early for a morning seeking some mellow runs on Mansfield while everyone else chose to sleep in. For some reason I was feeling really wiped out (like recovery from a day of torture in a shopping mall) I was no-so-secretly in search of some pow, after a few ventures into the MRG woods convinced me that all is good in treeland, at least in the northern spine of the Greens.

From the house we had watched the Saturday fireworks and the groomers which ran on Mansfield all night long.

So I thought I'd start with some blue cruisers to warm up. Warm up was the day's operative phrase. 2 degrees at the base, minus five at the summit. Ah, but the true elixer was gorgeously clear skies, intense sunshine and zero, yes, zero winds. A puff here and there across the summit but hardly even noticeable.

By choice, I've never skied on MLK weekend, so I was uncertain what to expect. The blues down from the Gondola were in much better shape than I had expected. It had an regular scratchy base, with a couple inches of what appeared to be fgr mixed with the new snow from Friday; heavy, but dry stuff. The crowds were slow to build in the morning, but very noticeable on the blues. The skills of the skiers on blue trails seemed to be predominated by a lot of very tentative blues, perhaps their first day out in a year. Lots of scraping and skidding.

I made my way then over past the quad and stopped under the Lookout double. What a stash. A good 5 to 6 inches of somewhat chopped up powder under the lift. A brief dash of untracked was always to be found. It was a keen surprise to find this stash on the second day of MLK weekend. It usually stays in good shape because it's very "hard", or should I say "complicated" to get to. See pics below.

The blue trails surrounding the mountain triple as well as Ridgeview and Lord were not too good IMO. It seemed that nearly everyone was on them and the scrape-scrape skid-skid sounds were pervasive. It was certainly ski-able, but not that enjoyable, especially with the volumes of skiers on it. There was very little loose stuff to push around, even at 10AM. While I had been looking for a mellow day on blues, I quickly abandoned that strategy and moved to the blacks.

The blacks were probably the best shape of all. I enjoyed Hayride the most. Lots of powder to move around, real moguls in their infancy forming and trails nearly devoid of skiers.

The powder-hound in me then took control and I spent the remainder of my time exploring the woods throughout Toll Road. Fresh untracked everywhere and the woods, at least from mid-mountain on down (I was solo that's the limit) were a delightful surprise only a week and change after the niar disaster. The woods were generally boot deep, a lucky spot here or there was just below the knees. I did not hit ice or bottom anywhere. I think we are good to go for a long woods season (cross fingers.) No pics in the woods, I was having too much fun.

Liftlines were non-existent on the double and singles on the quad were about 7-10 minutes around 1030am.

Ski Patrol was in full response mode everywhere I skied. Lots of sleds in motion. Tremendous response to skier down: 3 patrollers plus one patroller with a sled, followed shortly by Stowe staffer in blue with an name tag (attorney perhaps?) seemed to be the drill.

No joy on AZ 6-13 radio. Many calls, no answers. The day was wrapped up at noon after a reminder radio call that lunch was served.

Upper Perry Merrill (Thanks to deadhead for the correction!)
a0120080916.gif

Perry Merrill (mid)
a0120080916a.gif

Old "Crossover" which was renamed "High Road" (Thanks to powderfreak for the ID on the 2nd and 3rd photo)
a0120080918.gif

a0120080921.gif

The growing industri-plex called Spruce
a0120080923.gif

Lookout:
a0120080925.gif

a0120080927.gif

a0120080928.gif

Upper Hayride
a0120081009.gif

You can always make fresh track on groomers at Toll House:
a0120081151a.gif

Last edited:

powderfreak

Nice! I can't wait to get back up there. Will be there tomorrow and Wednesday. Whistler was awesome but I miss good ol' hardy Vermont skiing. ;)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nice! I can't wait to get back up there. Will be there tomorrow and Wednesday. Whistler was awesome but I miss good ol' hardy Vermont skiing. ;)
Scotty, we missed ye, but somehow we muddled through the week prognosticating amateurishly and then getting lucky on Friday.
I'm thrilled you got to Whistler, and am glad you are filled with awesome memories. It's really hard to leave a place like that. Whistler is really well-managed too. What is glorious is that they have so much acreage, unlike the the northeast where we have to scrape and negotiate for a decade for small improvements. Good for you, I hope you get out west often, but always glad to have the prodigal son returneth ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice

Lookout definitely sometimes offers a bit of suprise for a couple days after a storm. People put more focus on the trees between it and Starr or on the otherside between It and Hayride.

You sure that first photo isn't of Upper Perry Merrill and the second photo on the same trail just before the Cliff Trail intersect? Looks that way to me, especially with the Light Tower on the first photo on skiers right, photo left.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nice

You sure that first photo isn't of Upper Perry Merrill and the second photo on the same trail just before the Cliff Trail intersect? Looks that way to me, especially with the Light Tower on the first photo on skiers right, photo left.

you very well could be right. There is another photo later that might be Hayride.
My problem is that I often don't pay close attention to the signs, I just go to what looks interesting (I don't ski to report, so I have to reconstruct the evidence later.)
I'll check the picture sequence numbers and fix it later, thanks.

powderfreak

you very well could be right. There is another photo later that might be Hayride.
My problem is that I often don't pay close attention to the signs, I just go to what looks interesting (I don't ski to report, so I have to reconstruct the evidence later.)
I'll check the picture sequence numbers and fix it later, thanks.

Yep. The whole first sequence is of PM. Upper to middle PM and the third photo is of the old "Crossover" which was renamed "High Road" in this year's massive trail count overhaul. But its not about the names...its about the skiing. Thanks Billski!