• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe lodging/dining options

Savemeasammy

My wife and I are doing an overnight this Friday 2/27. We are skiing Sugarbush Friday and Stowe Saturday. I think I'm leaning towards staying in Stowe (or nearby) to make it easier for us on what I'm sure will be a busy Saturday at Stowe. We aren't looking to stay at a super expensive place, but I'd like it to be nice. Ideally there would be a decent restaurant on site - or at least close by. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just a suggestion, but I'd flip your ski days and do Stowe Friday and Sugarbush Saturday. It is much easier to work your way around crowds at Sugarbush on a Saturday than it is Stowe.

Savemeasammy

Just a suggestion, but I'd flip your ski days and do Stowe Friday and Sugarbush Saturday.

I'll bet you wouldn't if one if your wife's former students came up with some free tix to ski with them on Friday!

I have also considered skiing Smuggs on Saturday instead, but that could be even worse for crowds...

deadheadskier

Staff member
In that case I see the Stowehof has rooms through expedia for $160. It's about as romantic as it gets in Stowe. Cool little pub in the lower level or more upscale dining room. Or you could go for something like the Town and Country for around $100 and be walking distance to several good restaurants.

Savemeasammy

Or you could go for something like the Town and Country for around $100 and be walking distance to several good restaurants.

We stayed there over the summer with the kids - not really what I had in mind. We were in one of the buildings out back. Maybe there are nicer rooms in the main building?

Edd

I highly recommend the Butler House in downtown Stowe. Very decent accommodations and a Mexican restaurant downstairs. As Stowe goes, the price is right.

Bumpsis

Check out the Trapp Family Lodge. Very nice and the food is great. May be a bit on the expensive side. They also have their brew-pub that's separate from the main lodge. A bit more casual but the food is very good and so are the beers.

Jersey Skier

We stayed at the Stoweflake lodge and spa over the holidays and it was nice. It's also a shuttle stop if you don't want to deal with the parking at the mountain. Bender's Burritos had great burritos and Heady Topper too, if you're looking for a good cheap meal. Trattoria La Festa for killer Italian food. We ate at all the top restaurants the week we were there and that meal was the highlight.

rocks860

Check out the Trapp Family Lodge. Very nice and the food is great. May be a bit on the expensive side. They also have their brew-pub that's separate from the main lodge. A bit more casual but the food is very good and so are the beers.

The road to get up there is brutal

Whitey

There's a Best Western right off the exit off of route 89 in Waterbury. Probably 1/2 hr or less to Stowe. It runs $115-$160/night depending on the size room you get.

If you were looking for a less expensive route. Not much "charm" there, but pretty useful access and ease.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you do stay at that hotel, lots of great restaurants in Waterbury. Better options than Stowe actually. Prohibition Pig, Hen of the Wood, Michael's on the Hill, Blue Stone

KevinF

Define "nice" for lodging. Stowe Motel, Commodores Inn, Town & Country are the three "budget" options in Stowe. They're all clean, client and comfortable. Look on www.gostowe.com, see what's available.

Golden Eagle and Stoweflake up the niceness a bit, but the price goes up more than a bit. There are plenty of other lodging opportunities in that niceness / price bracket.

The Bench (new restaurant) always seems to be insanely crowded. Every hotel has a copy of the Stowe Dining Guide which has the menus, etc.... take a look and see what looks good. I don't think I've ever had a bad meal anywhere in Stowe.

WWF-VT

Today is 2/24 and you plan to be there on Friday - as much as people are making good suggestions for dining and lodging you can expect that your choices could be limited by booking so late.