• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Thread

SnowRock

Sucks for someone like me…. Ski solo like 90% of the time and weekends. I also don’t think it fixes the structural challenges they have with mountain road being the only way in and out and limited parking. Will this really help alleviate traffic on those bad days? I’m dubious. Would prefer they figured out a way to make toll house more usable for parking and skiing.

Hawk

I have a friend that has one of those old houses at the toll House base and I stayed there a few times. That lift is dreadful but it will be free to park there.

ThatGuy

As an added note I work weekends all winter so this doesn’t even effect me but its not right if they aren’t going to take tangible steps to improve the shuttle experience and the Toll House area.

KustyTheKlown

I have a friend that has one of those old houses at the toll House base and I stayed there a few times. That lift is dreadful but it will be free to park there.

that lift is purely sisyphusian.

a lift that runs a seemingly infinite distance while gaining minimal elevation.

personal purgatory stuff.

hovercraft

90% of the time I ride solo as well. Will do nothing for the traffic IMO, plus they make the announcement without telling you how much parking will cost. Toll house lift is ridiculous thats not a real solution to use that to get free parking. Paid parking screws locals plus a money grab from out of state people!!!!

cdskier

Pure money grab...this really doesn't do much to actually "fix" the problem. Are people going to suddenly start carpooling together with neighbors (that may or may not even ski the same schedule)? I somehow doubt it. Now the "free" lots will be filled up before most people even get to the mountain.

KustyTheKlown

90% of the time I ride solo as well. Will do nothing for the traffic IMO, plus they make the announcement without telling you how much parking will cost. Toll house lift is ridiculous thats not a real solution to use that to get free parking. Paid parking screws locals plus a money grab from out of state people!!!!

this also assumes they will run toll house as early as they run the forerunner. otherwise you're stuck down there!

JimG.

Staff member
Perhaps I should move this to the "VAIL SUCKS" thread?

No surprise that the "solution" to the traffic issue is for Vail to charge more money.

SnowRock

The other thing with pushing more people to park at the cross country center is the proximity to Harlow hill… more people making that left, more people likely getting stuck causing traffic.

Shredmonkey254

It sucks at first. Figure out if they're going to offer some season parking passes (they typically will in a not so publicized manor) and get one if you can.

Made a positive difference on all but a few days all season at Mount Snow from my experience. Helped "divert" some Epic passholders who didn't want to pay for parking, which was a de factor way to reduce peal crowds without limiting access. Also let me park very close all season long, even if I was running a bit late.

Let 2nd year of paid parking bitching begin!
out of curiosity, how much does mt. snow pay for parking? what kind of money are we talking here?

thetrailboss

Staff member
A letter from the GM:

I’m Bobby Murphy, general manager here at Stowe Mountain Resort, and I’d like to share an update on a topic that’s been on a lot of people’s minds this season.

We are proud to be a popular destination for skiing and riding, but we recognize that traffic is a key challenge. I’ve been asked what we can do to improve the flow of guests into and out of the resort. What can we do to help reduce traffic congestion, increase carpooling, and increase the use of public transit to the resort? How can our operations help change behavior? In response to this, Stowe Mountain Resort will implement a new parking plan for the 2022-23 winter season which includes free and paid parking, new payment strategies and special incentives for those who choose to carpool.

Parking will remain free at all lots Monday through Thursday during non-holiday periods, and at all lots after 2pm. Paid parking will be implemented Friday through Sunday and holidays at all lots, except at the Cross Country Center and Toll House area lots which will remain free seven days a week. Free parking will also be offered at all times in all lots to cars arriving with four or more guests, which we hope encourages carpooling. Additionally, payment can be made via a smartphone app or on-site kiosks to help ensure faster, more efficient parking, especially at our busiest times.

By encouraging more people to use public transport, carpool or visit during non-peak times, we hope to move congestion off of the two-lane road leading to the resort and from our main lots.

In addition, we are ramping up our partnership with Green Mountain Transit, with proceeds from our paid parking going toward additional buses and capacity as well as toward our own resort shuttle system to improve public transportation in and around the resort.

We thank you for your understanding as we strive to create smoother arrivals and departures at our resort. We’ll be releasing additional details about the plan soon.

Thank you,

Bobby
Let the screaming begin.

cdskier

this also assumes they will run toll house as early as they run the forerunner. otherwise you're stuck down there!
I bet Vail depends more on the shuttles rather than running the lift early in the day over there...which when the Toll House area doesn't have enough snow to open early/late season they're going to have to do as well anyway. Will they have enough shuttle capacity for this? Does Stowe have their own shuttles between the lots? Or do they just depend on the GMT buses that run from town? If the latter, that just gives Stowe a way to deflect the problem further when people complain that the shuttles aren't sufficient to meet the demand. And of course if there's traffic on the road between the free lots and the main base area, that impacts the shuttles too.

slatham

Stowe has a serious and dangerous traffic issue that must be addressed. But the devil is in the details, especially as it pertains to the shuttle. From a Podcast with Solitude COO, paid parking revenue goes to pay for shuttles, no profit, so this might not be the "money grab" some are claiming. But is that the case with Stowe? Is there additional/adequate satellite parking for the shuttle? Are all the nearby hotels and Inns serviced? Is it reliable? Does Toll House run and have coverage on key weekends/holidays? Longer term, does the lift get upgraded?

But unlike Mt Snow, this is a problem needing a solution.

MikeDeJ

I meant to ask how much does mt. snow charge for parking!
$30 or $15 on weekends depending on the lot. $15 during the week, (the $30 weekend lots are $15 midweek, the $15 weekends are free duirng the week) with more free lots during the week. The BS part (it is all BS but) is the season parking pass was never offered to the public. It was offered to people in the know or people who had the preferred parking pass before, dont know the price becasue it was never offered!! For a person like me I would have never bought the preffered parking pass before being a 80% of the time midweek skier, it was all free the season before midweek. Now the game has changed and I have no way to get a pass, total BS. Not sure I would have bought one, really dont know the price, but I would have been nice if offered to everyone. So to the Stowe skiers find this info out now.

drjeff

Stowe has a serious and dangerous traffic issue that must be addressed. But the devil is in the details, especially as it pertains to the shuttle. From a Podcast with Solitude COO, paid parking revenue goes to pay for shuttles, no profit, so this might not be the "money grab" some are claiming. But is that the case with Stowe? Is there additional/adequate satellite parking for the shuttle? Are all the nearby hotels and Inns serviced? Is it reliable? Does Toll House run and have coverage on key weekends/holidays? Longer term, does the lift get upgraded?

But unlike Mt Snow, this is a problem needing a solution.

$30 or $15 on weekends depending on the lot. $15 during the week, (the $30 weekend lots are $15 midweek, the $15 weekends are free duirng the week) with more free lots during the week. The BS part (it is all BS but) is the season parking pass was never offered to the public. It was offered to people in the know or people who had the preferred parking pass before, dont know the price becasue it was never offered!! For a person like me I would have never bought the preffered parking pass before being a 80% of the time midweek skier, it was all free the season before midweek. Now the game has changed and I have no way to get a pass, total BS. Not sure I would have bought one, really dont know the price, but I would have been nice if offered to everyone. So to the Stowe skiers find this info out now.
The season parking pass for Mount Snow last season, good for any of the paid lots, any day of the season, was $399 if I recall correctly. It was either $359 or $369 in prior years.

Think it worked out to about $10 a day for my families car we had the pass linked to (it was a non transferable pass that was assigned to a specific license plate)

Was the 5th or 6th year my family had purchased a parking pass at Mount Snow

hovercraft

The season parking pass for Mount Snow last season, good for any of the paid lots, any day of the season, was $399 if I recall correctly. It was either $359 or $369 in prior years.

Think it worked out to about $10 a day for my families car we had the pass linked to (it was a non transferable pass that was assigned to a specific license plate)

Was the 5th or 6th year my family had purchased a parking pass at Mount Snow
I thought last year was the first year they had paid parking?