• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Thread

Tonyr

We checked out of our hotel at 7 am this morning drove about 10 minutes down the access road stopped, turned around, then drove back to check back into our room by 7.30. The roads are really bad, I'm not driving over 5 hours in this weather. I guess we ski instead today!

KustyTheKlown

does stowe still run the quad at 730? if so, id be there at 650 to boot and coffee up.

i too tend to be one of the first cars in the lot on any ski day. i'm an early riser. i hate being forced into any type of secondary lot with a long walk or even worse a shuttle. and i prefer to start my ski day early and end it fairly early so that on a saturdays i have plenty of day left to hit a brewery or chill and eat or whatever, or on sundays to drive home at a decent hour, while still always getting my 20k vertical. i tend to bag more vertical by 9:30 am than most people get all day

KustyTheKlown

We checked out of our hotel at 7 am this morning drove about 10 minutes down the access road stopped, turned around, then drove back to check back into our room. The roads are really bad, I'm not driving over 5 hours in this weather. I guess we ski instead today!

this was my fear today. any hotel room i would be in would not be adjacent to any ski area that i have access to, so driving to the mountain in the morning and home this evening both sounded terrible, and i just didnt want to ask for tuesday off considering a lot of upcoming work time away skiing

Tonyr

this was my fear today. any hotel room i would be in would not be adjacent to any ski area that i have access to, so driving to the mountain in the morning and home this evening both sounded terrible, and i just didnt want to ask for tuesday off considering a lot of upcoming work time away skiing
Well I can work remotely so that's ok for me but we wanted to get home today so my son didn't miss school tomorrow but I'm not going to risk driving in this weather over a missed day of school.

KustyTheKlown

i mostly work remotely too, and aside from not having my laptop with me and my remote access token (dumb to not have that with me on all trips really), there was no scenario where i was waking up in vt on tuesday after the snow and wind finally settles and not skiing. i'd end up not working til wednesday.

i drove up saturday evening, got a hotel, skied jay yesterday, then drove home. that seemed safest x best skiing for me this weekend considering all options

enjoy stowe today. hopefully the ill timed storm keeps the crowds away and the wind doesnt fuck your access up too much.

Kingslug20

does stowe still run the quad at 730? if so, id be there at 650 to boot and coffee up.

i too tend to be one of the first cars in the lot on any ski day. i'm an early riser. i hate being forced into any type of secondary lot with a long walk or even worse a shuttle. and i prefer to start my ski day early and end it fairly early so that on a saturdays i have plenty of day left to hit a brewery or chill and eat or whatever, or on sundays to drive home at a decent hour, while still always getting my 20k vertical. i tend to bag more vertical by 9:30 am than most people get all day
Nope. .both quad and gondi now at 8..lodge opens 730

SnowRock

It’s 8 AM daily now but as noted they moved up the Gondi open to 8 as well. To be honest it’s not that bad… I loved the 7:30 start a few years ago but the last few years I felt like the local/in the know crowd hit that so hard you’d take a lap and the line would be enormous. Now with the Gondi open at least you have two options

Tonyr

What an absolutely amazing day out there, my best of the season and we were going to leave today! Skied 5 hours, I'd say around a foot of snow came down while we were out there. The trees were outstanding, we spent almost the entire day in the sidecountry. Tomorrow should be fantastic as well for whoever makes the trip up, the lines were not bad at all.

20220117_102927~2.jpg
20220117_135407~2.jpg
20220117_135605~2.jpg
20220117_123049~2.jpg
20220117_131535~2.jpg
20220117_131351~2.jpg
20220117_121732~2.jpg
20220117_135355~2.jpg
20220117_123202~2.jpg

kendo

Awesome pics. I've been trying to get out of a customer meeting tomorrow, but it's not happening. I'll come up tomorrow night and get out Weds.

Last edited:

Kingslug20

Friggin awesome day..spent a lot of time on starr...git wirn iut at 130 and figured the mass crowd exit woukd soon be coming..even the shuttle bus got stuck..still pounding when i left...
This side country you speak of??

Tonyr

Friggin awesome day..spent a lot of time on starr...git wirn iut at 130 and figured the mass crowd exit woukd soon be coming..even the shuttle bus got stuck..still pounding when i left...
This side country you speak of??

All of the terrain on Mt Mansfield not on the trail map is sidecountry!