• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Thread

Keelhauled

Mt Mansfield Co (affiliated with AIG) owns the base buildings and land up to about where the wider slopes at the bottom of the chairlift start. The only thing Vail owns is the parking lot across the road.

Kingslug20

Hear theres a 10 mile backup to Stowe..crashes..someone hit a plow..
Epic!

hovercraft

Cars were all over the road stuck. Really do not understand why people from out of state think it’s a good idea to drive up a mountain road with out snow tires, especially in a snow storm. Total shit show. Can’t wait for the vacations to end….

hovercraft

I avoid Saturday’s as well. Other then that we both know how to manage our experience on the mountain to deal with the lunacy when it happens there.

hovercraft

Only way that happens if there is a lot of fresh then you get in and get out!

kendo

Cars were all over the road stuck. Really do not understand why people from out of state think it’s a good idea to drive up a mountain road with out snow tires, especially in a snow storm. Total shit show. Can’t wait for the vacations to end….

Agreed. Friends in NJ think I'm crazy for using Blizzaks in the winter.

It's also bad for anyone driving a rental like the SUVs I've picked up at BTV (Hertz & Alamo). Most have all-season tires and with the shortage of cars, many rentals now have 20K+ miles on those all-seasons. Sketchy at best. I guess there's no incentive to replace the tires when the roads are dry the majority of the time.

hovercraft

Agreed. Friends in NJ think I'm crazy for using Blizzaks in the winter.

It's also bad for anyone driving a rental like the SUVs I've picked up at BTV (Hertz & Alamo). Most have all-season tires and with the shortage of cars, many rentals now have 20K+ miles on those all-seasons. Sketchy at best. I guess there's no incentive to replace the tires when the roads are dry the majority of the time.
Winter tires are more then snow tires. The compound of the rubber matters as well. Winter tires on dry roads, wet roads, roads with snow will perform better then all seasons in cold weather. They have a softer rubber which gives them better grip when the temps drop compared to all seasons that start out with a harder rubber. Harder the rubber = less grip. Most people do not get that concept. All seasons in this climate is splitting the baby in half.

Kingslug20

My snowtires are...life savers. If your life aint worth a grand...something is wrong

hovercraft

Couldn’t agree more. I never understood how someone could ride around in this climate in a 2500 to 4000 pound sled and not want the best shoes to keep you safe. My daughter once had a boyfriend who didn’t have snows on his car and I refused to let her drive with him in the winter. Just stupid.

kendo

Yep. When you grow up in WNY (Buf/Roch lake effect zone) you learn real quick the value of snow tires and driving on winter compounds. 4wd not needed, just a fresh set of snows each year.

Elsewhere, the mentality is an SUV with 4wd will work well, without regard to tires ... they're usually off the road first.

Anybody ski today? About 7" on the webcam ought to make tomorrow 'interesting'!

hovercraft

Reports were blower pow on top of hard pack. Just an ok day from what I was told. Hopefully with grooming they can get to semi packed pow condition. AWD is fools gold without the shoes on all 4 corners….

doublediamond

If this is such a recurring problem, why doesn’t VTrans put more resources into Mountain Road? It’s not *just* snowing on that one road, it’s snowing across the whole state. Yet the issues aren’t elsewhere, always the road to the area.

Blame flatlanders all you want, but they got 99% of the way there with no issue. That last stretch needs to be kept in better condition.

Kingslug20

And look what the slug brought back..Im in ct but driving home today..heavy snow at Stowe..and snow for the rest of the week..

hovercraft

Great day, snowed all day long. Plus the mountain was empty. Not sure where all the people went but it wasn't to the mountain. Walk on all day except for a few times where you waited a couple of minutes.

hovercraft

If this is such a recurring problem, why doesn’t VTrans put more resources into Mountain Road? It’s not *just* snowing on that one road, it’s snowing across the whole state. Yet the issues aren’t elsewhere, always the road to the area.

Blame flatlanders all you want, but they got 99% of the way there with no issue. That last stretch needs to be kept in better condition.
Getting to the mountain isn’t the same as going up the mountain road. Apples and oranges….. Lets not confuse the two.

Last edited:

Kingslug20

Soon as we pulled into the driveway..total white out squall...dropped almost an inch in 20 minutes20220227_153807.jpg20220227_152904.jpg