• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Thread

The Sneak

Eh. Hard to get excited about it after so many pow days at K buy sunday might be a nice day

ghughes20

Stratton put out a press release highlighting recent investments. The below is regarding upgraded to snowmaking guns. Sounds like they also purchased a new groomer.

The full presser can be found here…

Snowmaking​

The experience begins with snow. All the dreams, all the best days, and all the memories, snow is the consistent element to each extraordinary winter experience. Preparing the mountain to open, well that all begins with snowmaking. Stratton Mountain is investing over $2 million directly into snowmaking, to make the best days even better. This is the first phase in a multi-year, multi-million-dollar investment in transforming the mountain’s 95% snowmaking coverage and capabilities into one of the industry’s most powerful, consistent, and efficient snowmaking ecosystems. The multi-phase snowmaking project will position Stratton’s snowmaking capabilities as the most robust and reliable systems for the future.

Following last year’s successful implementation of 70 HKD KLIK snowmaking hydrants on Suntanner and Polar Bear, the mountain is going all in on the system, installing another 160 HKD KLIK hydrants on a number of favorite trails consisting of Franks Fall Line, Mike’s Way, West Meadow, Drifter Link and Old Log Road. New hydrants on Mike’s Way? That’s correct, 25 HKD Impulse low-energy, high-performance tower snow guns will find a permanent home on Mike’s Way this season, replacing the manual process of bringing ground guns to the trail for snowmaking. This allows the Green Circle summit trail to open earlier, stay open late, and be resurfaced regularly for optimal terrain and conditions from the summit, for all abilities.

KustyTheKlown

necessary evil. if you want to ski in new england every weekend sometimes you need to go where good snowmaking and grooming is par. stratton serves its purpose early season, and the woods are decent and empty once they fill in.

skiur

necessary evil. if you want to ski in new england every weekend sometimes you need to go where good snowmaking and grooming is par. stratton serves its purpose early season, and the woods are decent and empty once they fill in.

95% isn't necessary, more like 70% is where it should be, I do understand that the clientele Stratton caters to doesn't go on ungroomed terrain but 95% is ridiculous.

Zand

Yeah I was gonna say, think about what Magic looks like 90% of the year and that's what you'd have at Stratton for coverage without snowmaking and that's without the thousands more people they get daily. I prefer natural snow as much as anyone but an intermediate based hill that averages in the low 100s annually for snowfall needs as much snowmaking as they can get.

KustyTheKlown

Yeah I was gonna say, think about what Magic looks like 90% of the year and that's what you'd have at Stratton for coverage without snowmaking and that's without the thousands more people they get daily. I prefer natural snow as much as anyone but an intermediate based hill that averages in the low 100s annually for snowfall needs as much snowmaking as they can get.

stratton also has a very significant elevation advantage over magic. but yea.

xlr8r

Was up at Stratton this past weekend, a lot of work being done by Doppelmayr on URSA. New summit lift shack already installed, a couple Doppelmayr guys were working on the electrical on Saturday. Also the new snowmaking feed under the access road has been backfilled, but not done paving yet, caught me by surprise driving off the asphalt onto gravel going way too fast for how bumpy the gravel is. Also seemed like they were excavating a culvert at the Sunbowl base.

icecoast1

95% isn't necessary, more like 70% is where it should be, I do understand that the clientele Stratton caters to doesn't go on ungroomed terrain but 95% is ridiculous.
The snowmaking coverage is a good thing in the northeast. It's the going out and grooming everything edge to edge after any snowfall philosophy they have that sucks there.

skiur

The snowmaking coverage is a good thing in the northeast. It's the going out and grooming everything edge to edge after any snowfall philosophy they have that sucks there.

Disagree, trails with a man-made base ski totally different (much crappier) than a natural base regardless of grooming. Yes man-made is a necessary evil in the northeast but some trails need to not have it.

icecoast1

Disagree, trails with a man-made base ski totally different (much crappier) than a natural base regardless of grooming. Yes man-made is a necessary evil in the northeast but some trails need to not have it.

I agree on how they ski and prefer it myself as well but it's not feasible at Stratton. It's a bigger magic with less interesting terrain, detachables and a ritzy village without solid snowmaking

xlr8r

At Stratton, It would be nice if they left a couple more trails all natural. I feel like Spruce, Slalom Glade, or Drifter would be good candidates to be left alone with no snowmaking.