• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush - 4/25/2008

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 4/25/2008, 10:10 - 4:40 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush, Vermont

Conditions: Spring bumps. Sunny and warm. Calm.

Trip Report: Got to the Golden Lion around 11:30 last night and crushed three Heinekens to help me unwind. Slept well and slept in until around 8 am. Headed out and as soon as I pulled onto Route 100, I was greeted by two moose crossing the road. Neat way to start the day. Went into Waitsfield for a breakfast sandwich and a coffee. Took my breakfast up to MRG to check it out. Very bare. Hopped on German Flats to get to LP. Mount Ellen had a lot of cover up top, but the base area was gone.

I was surprised how little snow there was and how green the lawns and fields are already. Many trees are budding too. Spring is definitely on in the MRV. Got to LP and stopped into the shop in Gatehouse and chatted with ski_resort_observer for a bit. Got on Bravo around 10:10 (they open at 10 am). Stein's looked great and I could see Upper Organgrinder and Ripcord had good coverage. Many other trails had anywhere between 0-75% coverage. Lynx and Castlerock are almost totally bare.

Took my first run on Stein's. Good corned up bumps. I was feeble with this as a warm-up though. Next run I went over to Heaven's Gate. Downspout was decently covered. A few narrow areas that started to burn out and ski off later in the day. Then hit Organgrinder. Great cover and top to bottom bumps. A bit thin on skier's right. Next run was Ripcord which was run of the day, without question. Best bumps I've skied all season. Lower Ripcord required a lot of threading the needle and some mandatory grass skiing. Lots of fun. Saw Win at one point on Ripcord. I soon met him at the summit along with 180 and family. Win had a lunch meeting so we just chatted for a bit. I skied with 180 and family on and off the rest of the day.

Spent most of the day on Ripcord's awesome bumps. Really enjoyed it, especially since I don't normally ski that trail. Got on Spillsville at one point too. Bare on skier's left, but still very skiable. Took a late lunch and reconnected with 180 and family to finish out the day. They are all great skiers and I really enjoyed trying to keep up. Spencer at 8 years old can kill it. 180 was among the top skiers I saw today. Thanks for the great company, guys! I'll have vid later; probably tomorrow unless it comes together quickly tonight.

Well, that's it for me for 2007-08. What a fantastic ski season; probably my best, and Sugarbush was a perfect way to finish it out. Today was day 41.

snoseek

When do they close? Do they have enough to make it beyond next weekend?

Nice video..great shots from the lift..it's cool watching the snow spray around and some serious kid stoke..It made me forget about my ski withdrawl for a second..

Lostone

Closing will be Sunday, for daily operation. I personally doubt there will be enough left to reopen next weekend. But if there is enough snow and enough interest in people coming up, next weekend, I'm pretty sure Win would love to be open in May.

Greg, sorry I didn't get to see you. Phil told me you were there, but while you spent the time on Ripcord, I spent most of the day on Spring Fling. At day 143... my legs were... toast!

I did one run down Stein's with my rock skis and they told me I had either one more, there, or I could make a few down Spring Fling... and I made that choice. After all... It was a spring fling. :lol:
:spread:

kingslug

You saw two Moose,damn I've been all over the place and have never seen one, and it's my favorite animal. And boy do I wish I lived closer to SG!!!

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like an awesome day, and it looks like it from the video. I'm bummed that I had to miss it. The 180 crew can really rip!

powbmps

Yesssss! Nice bumps, ripping skiing and sweet video.

Another a great day. Thanks Greg for all the video. The rest of the family is thrilled. What about the missing video?

Mikey1

Greg -thanks for the video, great job as usual! 180 and his family really rip! I missed you guys by a day, I was up there on Saturday as a result of late day Friday decision with my buddy JP. We skied everything that was open and Stein's was the pick of the day. Great coverage there, if they wanted to re-open it next weekend, I think they could. I am very grateful for this bonus day, loved hanging out in the plaza afterward. Great spring vibe there!