• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush Tree Skiing: 1/10/09

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date skied: January 10, 2009

Resort: Sugarbush—Lincoln Peak

Conditions: Deep powder in the woods with variable base, MG on trails.

Weather: Partly cloudy skies, temps rising into the upper teens.

2008-2009 Report #: 13

Report: Long overdue report folks, but I have been having problems with the internet at my place as well as a very busy week. The "Woodsboss" and I rendezvoused for a nice day of tree skiing at Sugarbush. This was my first day in the woods, and skiing with Woodsboss means that pretty much every run is a tree run.

We started with a luke warm run on Eden, which had some frankensnow/blown in snowmaking from Spring Fling. It was decent, but a bit soft.

Seeing that the crowds were mounting at Bravo, we beelined to Castlerock and found a nice sight:

n744459666_1250322_1031.jpg

We seemed to time the lines just right.

First trip was down Rumble:

n744459666_1250323_1302.jpg

And then we found ourselves in the first undisclosed location:

It was very nice. There was one spot that was a bit tricky for me and required stepping over a down tree or two, but it was nice.

We then did a run down Middle Earth, which skied quite well. Jaws is almost covered.

After warming up at the hut, we decided to do another Rumble spin with a 'sidetrip' of sorts on a nice line that featured mandatory air (or slide).

Woodsboss decided to take on one element on Rumble...with mixed results:

And we then cut down through Cotillion to the base for lunch.

After lunch, we decided to head to Heaven's Gate where we started on Paradise, but ended up somewhere else....

n744459666_1250325_1885.jpg

This area was a nice set of woods with some great variety of lines and conditions to ski. After that, we did a spin down Jester to the bottom. We headed over to Gate House and did a couple spins on Sleeper and Pushover/Slowpoke before heading back to Bravo.

We scouted out some other woods that I had been itching to try:

n744459666_1250326_2163.jpg

Very fun and worth another spin.

We closed with a run down Twist....well for some of us...before finding another gem which had variable conditions. I jumped out and braved Lower Twist, which was skied off as well as Lower Mall. By now we were beat....but it was a fun day. Woodsboss tired me out....my legs were sore after all the woods skiing!

awf170

He's on snowblades. You'd be surprised where he can go on those.

Honestly, I don't get why anyone would use those things. Just look at the woods clips, he is completely unbalanced and almost falling over. It just makes no sense to me. :blink:

Regardless, nice TR.

Greg

Staff member
Honestly, I don't get why anyone would use those things. Just look at the woods clips, he is completely unbalanced and almost falling over. It just makes no sense to me. :blink:

Regardless, nice TR.

Also not to belittle the experience, but I totally agree. I can't see how snowblades can give any sort of float in more than a few inches of powder; and I'm not one to insist you need 100+ mm waisted fat skis, but you have to have something with more than 100 cm of length. TTB - please tell me you left those kid skis of yours at home. I still firmly believe you've used those in the past as a crutch. You're an accomplished enough skier that you don't need that.

twinplanx

It wasn't my attempt to start bashing this kid. Some of my best friends rock the blades. And a fine TR to boot. I'm just jealous.

Greg

Staff member
It wasn't my attempt to start bashing this kid.

Likewise. I like to think I'm a believer that if you're having fun, good on ya. But like Austin, I don't get it.