• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf 2020

deadheadskier

Staff member
Arrived at loon this am. Kanc 8 and north peak on hold, gondola running. Kanc 8 got running and then went down again. It is a breezy day but nothing like you see at the loaf. My first experience with the kanc 8 is not engendering much faith that a similar lift is the solution for a high wind install. It is a nice lift though.

Are they blaming the wind or is there mechanical issues?

One would think a lift like the Kanc 8 would do better in wind than a lift like the Super Quad or Jordan Quad.

thebigo

Currently gondi, north and kanc on hold. I don't really know the issue. I have heard everything from IT issue, wind and electrical. North has not run all day, gondola and kanc on and off. My last ride on the kanc, the top terminal was making a hell of a noise, they ran the chair empty and it has not moved in 30+ mins.

Tin Woodsman

West Mountain terrain is pretty pedestrian. Not sure a "signature lift" belongs over there. Quite frankly, I think the Loaf would be best served investing in improvements on the main mountain first. Start with the Double Runners and Superquad. Maybe use the Superquad to replace Timberline and realign it down to Bullwinkle's. Increased uphill capacity is needed at Sugarloaf far more than terrain expansion.

As I understand, the "signature" nature of the lift was not just to anchor a new pod, but was also intended to facilitate year-round access to Bullwinkle's as an event space. Refurbed quad doesn't quite tick the box in that regard.

Smellytele

Arrived at loon this am. Kanc 8 and north peak on hold, gondola running. Kanc 8 got running and then went down again. It is a breezy day but nothing like you see at the loaf. My first experience with the kanc 8 is not engendering much faith that a similar lift is the solution for a high wind install. It is a nice lift though.
I noticed North was down when I looked around lunch time. Gonna ski there Friday and maybe a few days next week. Just noticed that I didn't click on a Loon thread but a Sugarloaf one...

drjeff

US Alpine Ski Championships coming to Sugarloaf March 20-April1st this season

drjeff

2020 > 2030: https://www.sugarloaf2030.com/timeline

Double Runner replacement in next couple years.

Did they end up putting in that T-Bar this year off Narrow Gauge?
I have seen pics online the last week or so where they got the tower footings poured and are getting ready to install the towers very soon. Seemed to be nothing suggesting that the new t-bar won't be pulling CVA athletes up the hill when they get snow on that part of the hill in the coming weeks

deadheadskier

Staff member

West Mountain HSQ for next season is what caught my eye the most. I didn't realize that was happening this soon.

Unless there are serious mechanical issues, I'd flipflop the SuperQuad and DoubleRunner on their list of priorities. Heck, I'd even put SuperQuad replacement before West chair. Get one of those wind resistant 8 packs in like they are doing on Jordan.

IMO - replacing the SuperQuad should be the number one priority for the Loaf. More capacity and weather reliability are desperately needed.

bigbob

West Mountain HSQ for next season is what caught my eye the most. I didn't realize that was happening this soon.

Unless there are serious mechanical issues, I'd flipflop the SuperQuad and DoubleRunner on their list of priorities. Heck, I'd even put SuperQuad replacement before West chair. Get one of those wind resistant 8 packs in like they are doing on Jordan.

IMO - replacing the SuperQuad should be the number one priority for the Loaf. More capacity and weather reliability are desperately needed.
Put one of those wind resistant 8 or 6 packs top to bottom as the signature lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like the alignment of the SQ as is. I'm not in the camp of a signature ttb lift at Sugarloaf. There's so little terrain off the summit and it all gets wind blasted to hell. Rarely have I found going above Skyline was worth it other than the cool factor of being so high up.

I think replacing the Timberline would suffice for a bit more summit reliability and hopefully with a realignment down to Bullwinkle's

machski

Yes, going in now along with Automated Fan Guns on the section of Gauge and HKD Klik Impulses on the balance of the training terrain. This new racing T may be needed to access Bateau from the DR replacement on wind hold days as I would guess a FGQ with load carpet but only up to the lower of the 2 top terminals.

If Boyne wants to install a new signature TTB lift at SL, this new product from Dopp may fit the bill.
Supposedly as good as a 3S lift but at a fraction of the cost. And we know how Boyne likes to be first to install new Dopp tech.

Newpylong

Put one of those wind resistant 8 or 6 packs top to bottom as the signature lift.
Not enough downhill capacity off the top for all skill levels, and even an 8 or a 6 on the front going up top is going to have wind issues. It's current location is a good happy medium.

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

Hoping to get to the best mountain around. Haven't been there except to hike. There's always much meow at Bullwinkles. Butt, we all know that.

Maybe in another life
I could find you there
Pulled away before your time
I can't deal, it's so unfair
And it feels, and it feels like
Heaven's so far away
And it feels, yeah, it feels like
The world has grown cold
Now that you've gone away
Leaving flowers on your grave
Show that I still care
Black roses and Hail Mary
Can't bring back what's taken from me
I reach to the sky
And call out your name
And if I could trade
I would
Heaven's so far away
And it stings, yeah, it stings now
The world is so cold
Gone away, gone away
Yeah, yeah-yeah, yeah-yeah, ooh
Yeah-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, oh-yeah
I'll save your soul, whoa
Yeah, yeah-oh, ooh
I reach to the sky
And call out your name
Oh, please let me trade
I would
Heaven is so far away
And it feels, yeah, it feels like
The world has grown cold
Gone away, gone away
Yeah, yeah-yeah, yeah-yeah, ooh
Yeah-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, oh-yeah
Yeah-ooh, yeah-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, oh-yeah

ceo

That Doppelmayr 3S system looks interesting, but SL really doesn't need (and can't accommodate) that much capacity to the summit. If they were to decide to install a base-to-summit signature lift, I think an aerial tramway would make much more sense. Less capacity, smaller terminal footprint (since you don't need a garage), highly wind-resistant, much more dramatic. Also kind of spendy, but probably not much more so than the 3S solution.
Biggest problem is where to put the base station. You could put it just uphill from the comp center, but locating the maze might be tricky. Or, to be even more dramatic, rebuild the skier's-right side of the base lodge and put it there, but that would require widening Gondola Line a fair bit, possibly encroaching on Winter's Way.

KustyTheKlown

very limited capacity that old lone peak tram. which may be the right solution for the summit capacity issues

i've only been to sugarloaf three times and the first two times were duds and the third time this past season was excellent spring skiing with 100% on-piste skiing open more or less, but no trees. must get back and go big. i have various hotels reserved near sugarbush, cannon, river, and loaf/saddleback for x-mas week. i'll go to the one with the best early season gettins.

machski

Boyne ever mention plans to repurpose lone peak?
Not sure that would be a solution for TTB SL. Would take a lot of re-engineering for super low capacity, lower than at Big Sky since the line would be much longer as would intervals between rides. Would require several towers as well for that type of line length.

machski

Just was reading Ski's top 20 Eastern resorts, Loaf xe in 10th and the list is an absolute joke. That said, I wasn't aware Sugarloaf picked itself up and moved to have Bethel as it's ski town. But according to Ski, it did just that. If this is the online quality from Outside, just let Ski completely die off please.