• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf Bucksaw Chair....RIP

Jully

I assume you know the powerpoint from the Sugarloaf chat is not real....It's someone's pie in the sky dream....HOWEVER the discussions in the thread are "real", and were supposedly discussed this past weekend at Sugarloaf's homecoming (I think...If its on the internet it must be truth).

Haha yes, I know it's not real. But I'd assume they would be doing the gondola over a lift directly in bucksaw's place.

Newpylong

No one in their right mind would use a Pulse on the main mountain, and I have never seen a 15 cabin line set up either. Didn't they say HSQ?

machski

No one in their right mind would use a Pulse on the main mountain, and I have never seen a 15 cabin line set up either. Didn't they say HSQ?

At this point, the type of lift is irrelevant. I say this because the SL2020 vision had at least 2 HS lifts mentioned. So far, Boyne has installed ZERO HS detach lifts at SL. I wouldn't hold my breath for any others. In fact, Boyne has I stalled a total of 1 HS detach lift in the east to date, the SR Chondi. None at Loon either (south peak went in prior to their acquisition).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good points.

Though I bet if it were not for wind considerations, the Skyline would have been a detachable chair.

Jully

I say this because the SL2020 vision had at least 2 HS lifts mentioned. So far, Boyne has installed ZERO HS detach lifts at SL.

How much of the departure from 2020 occurred because of the immediate lift "upgrades" that they sort of had to do this year to try and build some kind of safety image back coupled with CNL up in the air?

I didn't necessarily see 2020 falling apart as Boyne not following through. They have pretty good excuses in my opinion.

Skimaine

Bullwinkles is too small and needs to be expanded. Don't know if the food is any good there because I have never found a table after walking through all the skis left on the ground in front of the place. Just take a leak and leave

Barwinkles has been successful beyond their wildest dreams. To your point that it is over crowded in spite of the additions they made.

Money being no object - level it and start over with something twice as big (and a good bathroom).

And the restaurant food is pretty good.

wa-loaf

Sugarloaf has started selling the chairs!

Ever wanted to own a piece of Sugarloaf history? Now’s your chance. We have a limited number of chairs from the recently decommissioned Bucksaw chairlift available for purchase, in their original form, for $250. You can place your order now by contacting Steve Niezgoda at 207-237-6973. These are expected to go fast, so act now.

Jully

Bump.

Loaf says that KP chair should be up and running by late December. Not ideal, but not horrible.

In other news the Loaf has started snowmaking too with over 80 guns running. Not bad compared to what they could do a few years ago!

BREAKING NEWS: Snowmaking. Is. ON!

That's right Sugarloafers, thanks to a good looking window of cold temperatures here the next few nights, we flipped the snowmaking switch on this morning! 80 guns are up and running as of 6pm with many more expected to come online this evening; Kings Landing and Lower Tote Road are the current targets, with Candyside expected to join in the fun later on. Snowmakers plan to run "as long as the temps hold," and a look at the forecast suggests that we might be able to keep the snow piling up all the way through Tuesday night. All aboard the hype train - our next stop is winter!

sugarloaf snowmaking 11-14-15.jpg