• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suggestion for ski shop in Eastern Mass for good boot buying expereience?

newskier

I just started skiing last year and was doing rental equipment. This year, I want to get my own boots. I may wait on on the skis and bindings, but definielty feel like getting a good pair of boots will be worth it to me, as I always seemed to have issues with the rentals fitting properly. Anyway, can anyone suggest a ski shop around the Boston area that might be a good place to start looking? Does anyone have any experience with the following: Ski Haus (Wilmington), Ski Stop (Westwood), Summit Ski (Framingham), Joe Jones Wilderness House (Boston), Ski and Sports Loft (Canton) or RJ Bradleys (Westford), St. Moritz (Wellesley)? Thanks for any suggestions people may have to offer-- I'm not really sure what I need/want in a boot so I'd love to find a store that knows their stuff, but at the same time wouldn't take advantage and try to upsell me to gear that is too high end for my needs. Thanks!

Greg

Staff member
If you're serious about boot fitting, take the drive up to Concord, NH and go see our resident boot fitter, Jeff Bokum. He will be able to recommend some boots for you (he's located in the same location as S&W Sports) and then get you properly fitted with foot beds, balanced and canted. It will cost you some coin, but any advanced skier will tell you, a professional boot fitting can do more for your skiing than just about anything else, at least equipment-wise...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i have gotten a fitting and foot bed from wilderness house (when it was bob smiths) and had nothing but fantastic experiences on my visits. i have also had some binding work done by them and it was top notch. not sure if the same boot fitters are there now that wilderness house has changed hands, i wish i could give you the two guy's names that have a reputation there. i paid a lot more for my boots by going there but came away happy and comfortable which is more important than a little extra bank. ski haus is a good ski shop, not sure if i would get boots fitted there though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Had a great experience at Strand's in Worcester. It's a laid back shop, but good nonetheless.

Cape Cod Bob

Ski Stop Westwood

I live on the Cape but I can put a good word in for the Ski Stop in Westwood. 2 years ago I had a problem with my shin and had to miss an afternoon of great snow at Snowbird.
I took my boots to Ski Stop after seeing they were part of America's Best Bootfitters. The guy, owner I think, was excellent. Took 1 hour to examine my feet, leg angle etc and another hour after he set my liners. I'll get another 2+ years out of my boots and there is a huge difference.
We've got a couple good shops on the cape but Ski Stop was really good. I told some of the people in the Cape Cod Ski club that I ski with and they also had a good experience.
Hope this helps

newskier

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going to Ski Stop in Westwood- due to good recommendations here and on another board, as well as close proximity to home so if I have any issues I can easily go back. I think I'm happy with what I got--I guess I won't really know for sure until I ski in them. But they spent about an hour with me and the service was good. Thanks!