• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2017 Resort Upgrades

Mapnut

Trail ratings are relative. There is a huge step up between Long John and the blues off the summit on the front.

Also, it isn't just a beginner trail - it is the main conduit off the top over to Ridge, the Sundance trails, and Carinthia.

I think the mountain knows their needs best.

Or, as an even better way to access Ridge, the Sundance trails and Carinthia,they could run the Sundance chair more often.

drjeff

Maybe one of the coolest videos I've ever seen of work on a beginner trail in my life! Mount Snow working on the widening of Long John! Fun to watch with the sound turned up! ;-)

[video=youtube;UKLWnui5FGs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=UKLWnui5FGs[/video]

RISkier

On a holiday weekend, more dangerous than skiing down Ripcord backwards. :lol:

Yep, it has that optimal mix of true beginners, Park riders bombing over to Corinthia, and other folks just using it to access other terrain. Really a bad mix on a busy day. It seems there are some other trails they could at least mark blue/green that might spread things out a bit. I feel bad for beginners there.

Vaughn

Tenney

To answer my own question, per their Facebook Tenney will be opening this year. Never been but always nice to see a mid-tier mountain make it, hope they pull it off.

Jully

To answer my own question, per their Facebook Tenney will be opening this year. Never been but always nice to see a mid-tier mountain make it, hope they pull it off.

Exciting indeed! Did they announce ticket prices or season passes?

JPTracker

Was up at Jay this weekend and noticed a few improvements going on:

They are in the process of taking the communication lines for the Flyer off the towers and putting them underground to make the Flyer more reliable. This is a significant project since it requires burying a conduit the entire length of the flyer.

The lower bullwhell is missing off the Jet. Presumably to have the main bearing replaced.

The have added snow-making to the trail that cuts across from lower angles wiggle to the jet. This should eliminate the mud walk for late season skiing.

I guess the receiver is trying to get Jay in top shape for a sale.

cdskier

What is Stowe currently working on between the Gondola base and the Midway Lodge? I saw construction going on this weekend when I was up there zip-lining, but I'm not that in tune with what is going on at Stowe and couldn't find any improvements mentioned in this thread.

Bosco DaSkia

What is Stowe currently working on between the Gondola base and the Midway Lodge? I saw construction going on this weekend when I was up there zip-lining, but I'm not that in tune with what is going on at Stowe and couldn't find any improvements mentioned in this thread.

Parking lot.

http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe-mou...age_26b2d67a-a484-11e7-a04f-530e3e3cfb21.html

59cd4f18eae83.image.jpg

It is going to make getting to the gondi on skis a bit more of a pain in the butt than it already is. This is the lot every early bird will be racing for. Just a few steps from car to both the lift and the Midway Bar & BBQ.

Last edited:

slatham

From this picture is looks like they ruined the ski back to the Gondi route? I trust they didn't. This will certainly be the most sought after lot, unless you love the old Mansfield base lodge.....

Bosco DaSkia

So, what do you think the chances are that Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE ticker: MTN) is going to make that a pay, or even valet only parking lot? Maybe start charging top dollar for the front row "beach property" like they do at A Basin? Maybe they're going to go for the spring time closing record and try to beat Killington by using the new "beachfront" property as the prime parking and party spot. If they do the snowmaking right they can run that Gondi all the way till August!.!.!

Anybody taking bets?

Jully

So, what do you think the chances are that Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE ticker: MTN) is going to make that a pay, or even valet only parking lot? Maybe start charging top dollar for the front row "beach property" like they do at A Basin? Maybe they're going to go for the spring time closing record and try to beat Killington by using the new "beachfront" property as the prime parking and party spot. If they do the snowmaking right they can run that Gondi all the way till August!.!.!

Anybody taking bets?

I'd be shocked if Vail took Stowe any deeper into the season than their current closing date or changes the actual ski operations much at all.

I think Vail already said parking will not be paid this year, but that lot makes perfect sense to be the first of many (I'm sure) paid lots at Stowe.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
No way the Stowe season expands. No. Way. They'll probably keep things status quo for a few years then once they realize how expensive it is to run an Eastern resort they'll cut back operations...what do they have to lose? Oh the skiing at Stowe isn't as good as you want it to be? Go west with your Epic pass!!!

thetrailboss

Staff member
No way the Stowe season expands. No. Way. They'll probably keep things status quo for a few years then once they realize how expensive it is to run an Eastern resort they'll cut back operations...what do they have to lose? Oh the skiing at Stowe isn't as good as you want it to be? Go west with your Epic pass!!!

Late season is not a part of the Vail MO. PCMR has lost 2-3 weeks of their season since going to Vail. They pretty much open right before Thanksgiving and close in early April for all their resorts from what I have seen. Stowe was not much different, unless they changed a lot since I moved out west in 2011.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Late season is not a part of the Vail MO. PCMR has lost 2-3 weeks of their season since going to Vail. They pretty much open right before Thanksgiving and close in early April for all their resorts from what I have seen. Stowe was not much different, unless they changed a lot since I moved out west in 2011.

They've gone to the 3rd weekend of April in recent years. Not a "late season" player but certainly a longer season than most.

snoseek

Anybody taking bets?

Vail does not own or operate A-Basin....