• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

summer vacation in bar harbor?

octopus

anyone been there in the summer? i've been doing some research and harbor side and bar harbor inn seem like the nicest places to stay. any info on whats the best place to stay and what to do would be appreciated, prob be there for 3 nights and then head to samoset for another 3.

thx

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
anyone been there in the summer? i've been doing some research and harbor side and bar harbor inn seem like the nicest places to stay. any info on whats the best place to stay and what to do would be appreciated, prob be there for 3 nights and then head to samoset for another 3.

thx
I wouldn't go there if I were you the boulders on Cadilac mountain look like Moguls...might be too scary.

buellski

We spent a week there last summer. We rented a cottage about a mile outside of Bar Harbor. It was nice because we could walk to town if we wanted, but we didn't have all the traffic noise of being closer. The cottage was nice because we had our own yard, a full kitchen, we could grill out, and there were no other guests around :)

The town itself seems to be pretty Disneyworld-ish. We spent some time in town the first night we were there, but then tended to stay away. The two restaurants in town we went to were expensive and the food extremely average. That and the crowds kept us out of the town most of the time.

Things to do:
1. Bike the carriage roads - it's not mountain biking but it is fun. We have a 15 and 10 year old and they really enjoyed it.
2. Hike - the hiking around the island is excellent with some amazing views of the ocean
3. Kayak - rent one or take a tour. We took a sunset tour with this outfit. The guide was great and it was a lot of fun.
4. Beach - Go to Echo Lake if you want to go to the beach. The water is warm enough to swim in, the view is spectacular, and the beach is nice too. Plus there is some great hiking right from there.
5. Seal Cove Auto Museum - great thing to do if the weather turns bad.
6. Eat/drink - talk to locals to find the best places. My favorites were Mainely Meat BBQ/Atlantic Brewing Co. Great BBQ and beer! Best fried seafood and blueberry pie we had was at Maine-ly Delights in Bass Harbor.
7. We also did a schooner trip. It was kind of expensive, but worth it for the experience. We probably wouldn't do it again though.

We had a great week and will definitely return. We'll probably find a place in one of the other towns next time.