• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summit cancellation

Puck it

So our group have all agreed to cancel and get the $50 instead of the 50% hit after Thursday. We are probably the first but it makes sense to wait for better conditions. I tried to move the dates but the new rates were $150 to 175 person to change even midweek.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Will miss making turns with you. I appreciate your sacrifice to ULLR though. This means epic storm summit weekend.

xwhaler

That seems sorta foolish of Loafs part. Instead of the revenue to have u guys come a different wknd (package plus any extra $$ u drop there) they lose it all. Especially in this winter a curious decision from a business standpoint

Puck it

That seems sorta foolish of Loafs part. Instead of the revenue to have u guys come a different wknd (package plus any extra $$ u drop there) they lose it all. Especially in this winter a curious decision from a business standpoint
I tried to no avail to talk her into it. We have other options though it dumps.

dlague

We are cancelling too! Opting to spend the dollars on improved ski plans when we go out west. Rather spend a day at Vail when we go which probably was not going to happen otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiMEbike

Two storms in the crosshairs this week....Conditions will be much improved by week's end.

Whitey

Two storms in the crosshairs this week....Conditions will be much improved by week's end.

That's what I was thinking. Sugarloaf is supposed to get anywhere from 6" to 12" from tonight's storm. Probably more on the way. Puck it is not a gambler - seems like good odds that the conditions will improve significantly over the next two weeks.

Too bad, I was looking forward to meeting P-I and swapping Nantucket stories.

Ironic tie in to the thread I started yesterday ("anybody else holding back"). I think because I have been holding back on skiing so far this year I am much more inclined to say "we're going to the summit/Sugarloaf" no matter the conditions. Need to get out and ski now". That and it is a pretty good deal for the lift tix and lodging (also a tie in to that thread).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Last week of March or first week of April is usually perfect.

I tend to agree, but the first three years we booked then and got skunked with bad conditions including the nuclear March when there was only like 10 trails open. The other two were bitter cold with lots of wind holds and icy groomers.

We made the switch and the very next year Nemo happened and it was incredible. I was not there last year, but hear it was better than the late March summits.

So, the luck has been a bit better this part of the year. Always a crapshoot.

wa-loaf

I have a conflict that weekend so I never booked to start. But I'd still be in, you never know what the weather will bring. The next few weeks should fill things in and with any luck you guys get a storm at the end of the month.

Puck it

If it turns around then I will rebook and try for the summit rate. But not worth the drive and $ to ski half the mountain on groomers. I can do that at Cannon for no $ and cheaper drinks at the Zoomer Bar.

dlague

End of Janaury weather looks to be more south of Sugarloaf - which means Brackett Basin more than likely will not have the goods as well as the Summit. They will get 5-8 tonight.

2ndhalfJan.jpg

skiMEbike

Report from today from someone on SL Chat page....

I'm totally shocked, it could/should have been sooooo much worse. Climbed up Binder (all natural) to TOS and it wasn't half bad. They've already resurfaced a ton of terrain (Candyside, Hayburner, Kings, Upper Tote), the trail down to T-Line is buried. Skied Gondi Line first thing and it was maybe the best it's been all year, no shit. No death cookies, just solid, floaty. It looks like there was an inch or so of fluffy natural after the deluge and grooming it in worked wonders. Today was one of those mornings where I really, really wanted to stay out and do a few runs after my climb, but work happens. It's all good.

Puck it

If I want to ski trails I would go but I want the trees to be open. I have all ready skied the trails at Sugarloaf. So no joy for me!!!

Tin

If I want to ski trails I would go but I want the trees to be open. I have all ready skied the trails at Sugarloaf.

giphy.gif

wa-loaf

Yup, definitely no way the trees will be open in two weeks.

From a Sugarloaf patroller in a conversation with friends on facebook:

Woods are not ready.. Snow was very dry and light. Plus 3 inches of rain Sunday didn't help.. Saturday looks good but still not enough to open woods.. Trust me it's not worth losing limbs or even worse case!! Let it pole up and we will open it when it's " ready"

Going to need a few more good storms to get things going.