• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 11-25-07 Mini AZ gathering

loafer89

Area Skied: Sunday River

Date Skied: November 25th, 2007 from 8:10am - 1:00pm non stop

Surface Conditions: machine groomed, packed powder, machine made powder

Weather: Sun and clouds, some flurries. 20F at 8:00am and 39F at 1:00pm

Warren and I started the day at South Ridge meeting up with BobR for a few runs in the morning. We started out on a perfectly groomed Broadway and then skied Lower Lazy River with nice corduroy. We moved on to the Sunday River Express chair and skied Upper Sunday Punch and Monday Mourning which had some snowmaking whales left over from the previous two nights of snowmaking.

We all skied down Lazy River and then we took the Spruce Peak Triple to the summit where I meet up with Terry and then we parted ways after saying hello. Warren and I skied down Risky Business which had some large whales for a roller coaster ride near the top.

Next up was Cascades which was quite icy and skied off and not very much fun to ski. We saw snowmaking going on all day yesterday on Southpaw so now that it was opened we made our way over to it. The trail had huge wales, some of them 5-10' tall and lots of soft powdery snow which was fun to ski.

Right Stuff was better then yesterday with snowmaking overnight, but it was mostly dust on crust with lots of ice and some loose snow.

The trail of the day was American Express which had snowmaking ongoing until it opened this morning. The trail had mega amounts of powder/packed powder with some nice mini moguls in spots. We did 3 laps on the trail and had a blast each time.

Whale on Southpaw:

WaleonSouthpaw.jpg

Warren on Southpaw:

WarrenonSouthpaw.jpg

Locke and Barker Mountains:

LockeandBarker.jpg

American Express:

AmericanExpress.jpg

Last edited:

Vortex

Nice to see Warren and Loafer89. Warren has grown. Saw/skied with Terry and Tam as well. Best conditions of the year. Amex was fantastic when the ropes dropped.

thebigo

Agree with you guys, southpaw along with amex were the trails of the day. My third day of the season but the first day i really had my 'ski-legs'. They have great cover on a number of trails considering it is still november, looking forward to a great december.

loafer89

It was nice to have had the chance to make some turns with you. We look forward to coming back up when Jordan is opened.

Mildcat

Wow, the coverage looks great. I have to make it up there next weekend. Thanks for the report and pics.

Terry

The coverage is super. I havn't found any thin spots at all. American Express was probably the best runs of the season so far! The snowmakers and staff are doing an awesome job this year! Enjoyed skiing with Bobr, George and Tamy on great snow.:snow:

snoseek

Looks like a damn good November. I miss sunday river-I've wasted a lot of time there over the years, everything is so familiar. Glad to see early season is not a repeat of last year.

o.k.-off to loveland (i already feel better)

Edit-this was supposed to be on sunday river tr-7 am- not yet awake

Last edited by a moderator:

WoooHoooo

Are you guys serious!!!!!! Buying into the HYPE of The River!! Please

Greg

Staff member
Lame that they haven't skiied one day? Or lame that they haven't skiied skiied as may as you? Or just plane Lame?

Just curious.

Lame that they feel the need to criticize the River and pulling a hype card without even skiing there...

thaller1

As a matter of fact yes. 8 days so far. Have you been there this year? Worth a trip.:idea:

Agree w/ Bob - 7 days out so far and loved every day! Conditions are fantastic... no hype, just fact. This isn't the ASC Sunday River - things change... give them a chance.
T

Lame that they feel the need to criticize the River and pulling a hype card without even skiing there...

Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing.

Well it is early season. Any time out is a good time. However, it has been a long summer and there is a lot of hype out there by mgmt. Now Stoke is something different. Is Hype considered Marketing? There are some places that hype/market and the product is just junk! No?

I will not bash any establishments here. But feel free to bash me.

WoooHoooo

Agree w/ Bob - 7 days out so far and loved every day! Conditions are fantastic... no hype, just fact. This isn't the ASC Sunday River - things change... give them a chance.
T

I believe I am misunderstood by my snow loving bretheren. I have ridden at the River but that was the old ASC days. Thanks for not giving a bashing but offering some pleasant advice

Vortex

Point here is its pretty darn good for November. Sure trail counts are not a real guide line, but when you can ski Amex right Stuff, risky business, Lazy river,Esctacy, South paw, upper and Lower Punch T-2, Cascases, Jungle road and Monday m.... alot on south ridge.

My daughter liked having south ridge open to work on her snowboarding... ie a seperate beginner area so its safe and less multi level congestion....

Ya even a bit of park stuff again a beginner park area at South ridge and a bit more challenge on T-2.

Missed the North peak opening. won't miss that this weekend. looked covered well. that is turns off 3 peaks and ya south ridge so I guess 4.

Hype,,,, I think its freeking impressive.

Greg

Staff member
I believe I am misunderstood by my snow loving bretheren. I have ridden at the River but that was the old ASC days. Thanks for not giving a bashing but offering some pleasant advice

Sorry dude, but you were the one that chimed in here at post #3 with an attitude...