• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

Andrew B.

Well they will have a lot more to blow then when they only had to blow the top of Locke to open. So it may be opening later
call me a sucker for hype but from what you hear the snow making upgrades in Jordan will now allow them to blow that open pretty quick. They also have elevation advantage in Jordan going for them too.

Also, I could care less about the "we opened first (in New England)" peeing contest. Give me top to bottom on Jordan a day or two later over 600 feet of T2 any day.

Andrew B.

Also thinking of the Map the only logic next step is having to blow all of Kansas/lights out and cyclone/statefair. 2 of the most boring traverses on Earth.
By the time we have to worry about that being boring they should have Spruce and Aurora supported by some lifts out of south ridge as well. Followed shortly by a grand opening of Barker/Locke with all of those trails blown in and at least a connection to White Cap.

all of this means nothing if we don't get the cooperation of Ma Nature. :oops:

Newpylong

call me a sucker for hype but from what you hear the snow making upgrades in Jordan will now allow them to blow that open pretty quick. They also have elevation advantage in Jordan going for them too.

Also, I could care less about the "we opened first (in New England)" peeing contest. Give me top to bottom on Jordan a day or two later over 600 feet of T2 any day.
It's definitely not just hype. My buddy put it all in and they'll be able to drop the hammer when the temps come down.

Andrew B.

I think it's a hard sell . Longer drive, no facilities, less parking, longer to open. But yes the skiing will be better no doubt.
Not like management listens to me. I understand it’s probably a pipe dream.

drjeff

Well they will have a lot more to blow then when they only had to blow the top of Locke to open. So it may be opening later
The guy they have behind the design of their snowmaking enhancements, Brendan Ryan, certainly knows his stuff and how to move vast amounts of water where it's needed.

My hunch is that the River will be looking to SERIOUSLY flex its snowmaking enhancements...... Who knows, might actually get Killington to take notice and make the serious investment they need to do to upgrade their system soon?

machski

Also thinking of the Map the only logic next step is having to blow all of Kansas/lights out and cyclone/statefair. 2 of the most boring traverses on Earth.
Kansas yes, but they could decide to hit. Northern Lights and use the Double to get you back to Jordan. Or blow Firestar first, it is shorter than Cyclone/SF. Pretty sure they will have Spruce runs with at least Chondi up/downloading by the time they move across. Won't just be boring connectors.

machski

Moving forward after this season, I could see very early on Locke/Barker then a possible shift for public to Jordan when ready and give Locke/Barker to race camps while they blow the in between. So many options moving forward but without a true base in Jordan, just don't see that as a quality early open area for now. Think this is a one off. Closing in Jordan is a different story and I can see that becoming a thing, especially if they put some snowmaking love on the Oz runs now. Those were always a blast in the spring with good base depths.

Newpylong

Sounds like the Barker snowmaking improvements are not going to occur next off season but the one following. I would expect a replaced/enlarged feed (probably up Agony since that pipe is gone anyway), a new summit valve house, etc.

Hawk

I think it's a hard sell . Longer drive, no facilities, less parking, longer to open. But yes the skiing will be better no doubt.
I agree with all this but I actually liked the Barker openings. I realize that it is not the same now but for the Better part of 30 years it was a consitent and excellent start to the season. A homecomming of sorts for my group of peoples. It was always the same people and it wasn't just about skiing right? We had the opening day cookouts and people got to meet up and talk about what you did during the summer and catch up.

This year I am sure Jordan will be a couple of week behind Killington so I will start there and head over to SR when they are ready.

thebigo

base of north peak not appreciably different than jordan, probably a good year for boyne to push loon as early as possible to spread crowds when SR does get open.

Andrew B.

I agree with all this but I actually liked the Barker openings. I realize that it is not the same now but for the Better part of 30 years it was a consitent and excellent start to the season. A homecomming of sorts for my group of peoples. It was always the same people and it wasn't just about skiing right? We had the opening day cookouts and people got to meet up and talk about what you did during the summer and catch up.

This year I am sure Jordan will be a couple of week behind Killington so I will start there and head over to SR when they are ready.
Time marches on
You can have all that and better skiing in Jordan. The only miss will be beers on barker deck but I bet they will have a suitable replacement for that in Jordan, and better skiing. I would love to see them set up a yurt or some other form of facilities out there beside the hotel.

What happens if/when they replace barker lodge? I bet that lodge will take 2 seasons to replace. Likely low on the capital improvements list I know but someday that thing will be un-useable.

machski

Time marches on
You can have all that and better skiing in Jordan. The only miss will be beers on barker deck but I bet they will have a suitable replacement for that in Jordan, and better skiing. I would love to see them set up a yurt or some other form of facilities out there beside the hotel.

What happens if/when they replace barker lodge? I bet that lodge will take 2 seasons to replace. Likely low on the capital improvements list I know but someday that thing will be un-useable.
You mean its not unusable yet after how many floods they've had in Barker 🤣

My personal opinion is Jordan (and by proxy, Oz given the snowmaking boost) will be the home to end of season skiing and to me, that makes a ton of sense. Don't really need ticketing too much on that end as it is mostly passholders, gives the resort slopeside lodging for those guests who are not locals and you have Slidders and their deck, plus the food truck venue for food/beverage options. Higher elevation for the base and summit holds snow longer and better than Barker can and if they cover all of Oz with manmade again, those runs are a blast in the spring sun and corn. Especially love Eureka in spring bumps, but given they haven't blown a flake on that run in almost a decade, been a while since it held out real late.

But for early season, you really need some type of base lodge and ticketing. Even when we open on just passholder/Ikon days alone, you still need that for passes the do not work/need replacement. And once you open to day tickets and the rest, there is more traffic of those folks early season than late season. Not to mention that with the parking lot situated as is, they must get Lolla open completely to open at Jordan. That run takes a while to lay down cover on its total length and the lower part is a bad angle into the sun for early season to hold snow. If they had direct parking access to the lift base, then Rogue/Excalibur might work ok for quicker early season opens. But unless they really upped the gun count and mixed types (thinking Fan/Impulse alternating) to give a greater throw distance than Impulse alone, that trail will be a drag to an early open.

machski

It's definitely not just hype. My buddy put it all in and they'll be able to drop the hammer when the temps come down.
Newpy, do you have any intel on what they are doing with Rocking Chair's snowmaking setup? The line rand own along the liftline and the hydrants were clustered by the old tower bases. But with the new line, the hydrants if they stay put will be clustered in islands in otherwise open trail space. Did/are they moving the lines there?

Hawk

Time marches on

Yes time does march on but I don't have to like it. You guys bought and are tied to whatever they do so you have to put on a happy face. For me to come there and park all the way out at Jordan, no lodge, no facilities, no bar is not better than barker. The unforeseen future may bring improvements but until then, Killington is a better early season option for me. I foresee Jordan not opening for weeks after Killington this year. That will be a shameand how I feel about it until I experience otherwise. I will be at Jordan with Danny, Bill and Barry when they open so I will see first hand.

thebigo

more I think about it, opening on Jordan is a terrible idea. Should open on AM EX with up/down load on chondi. Early season crowd does not mind hiking a hundred yards.

Last edited:

2Planker

Yes time does march on but I don't have to like it. You guys bought and are tied to whatever they do so you have to put on a happy face. For me to come there and park all the way out at Jordan, no lodge, no facilities, no bar is not better than barker. The unforeseen future may bring improvements but until then, Killington is a better early season option for me. I foresee Jordan not opening for weeks after Killington this year. That will be a shameand how I feel about it until I experience otherwise. I will be at Jordan with Danny, Bill and Barry when they open so I will see first hand.

Wow, That sure is gonna suck for Patrol, and for the Pt...

kbroderick

Wow, That sure is gonna suck for Patrol, and for the Pt...
Is that any different from mid-season Jordan? Don't they already use a suburban for transport back to 350 when they're not loading into an ambulance directly?

I've also seen the same process to get from Barker to 350, but it's obviously a shorter drive.

Newpylong

Newpy, do you have any intel on what they are doing with Rocking Chair's snowmaking setup? The line rand own along the liftline and the hydrants were clustered by the old tower bases. But with the new line, the hydrants if they stay put will be clustered in islands in otherwise open trail space. Did/are they moving the lines there?
The response I got:

"I'm not sure what the plan is (Rocking Chair). It's a mess there's different valves all over. Ecstasy is fed from Locke. The rest are upfed. I'd imagine when we redo Barker a new upline will go up Agony and then down feed everywhere else."

Is the line you speak of on Rocking Chair the only one? I thought there also was one skiers right at the wood line.