• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

Andrew B.

Yes time does march on but I don't have to like it. You guys bought and are tied to whatever they do so you have to put on a happy face. For me to come there and park all the way out at Jordan, no lodge, no facilities, no bar is not better than barker. The unforeseen future may bring improvements but until then, Killington is a better early season option for me. I foresee Jordan not opening for weeks after Killington this year. That will be a shameand how I feel about it until I experience otherwise. I will be at Jordan with Danny, Bill and Barry when they open so I will see first hand.
We will see you there
One year of a Jordan start is a fair price to pay for replacing lift 2.
Parking lot beers will be the rule which i know you and your old cru aren’t afraid of.
Even though I don’t care about the opening first title I know SR management still does. I would be willing to bet that unless there is some weird weather K won’t open “weeks” before SR. At most less than a week and winner gets parking lot beers when you’re there!
I might even be in your ‘hood around NYE.

Newpylong

If the falls/early winters remain as they have, K will likely be open for a considerable period before SR gets Jordan open T2B.

That said, once the temps drop, SR is going to clobber K on expansion.

machski

The response I got:

"I'm not sure what the plan is (Rocking Chair). It's a mess there's different valves all over. Ecstasy is fed from Locke. The rest are upfed. I'd imagine when we redo Barker a new upline will go up Agony and then down feed everywhere else."

Is the line you speak of on Rocking Chair the only one? I thought there also was one skiers right at the wood line.
Rocking chair has been a mess. The line was originally skier's left and when LBO made that the dedicated park trail, they moved the lines to come right down along the liftline and buried them. All the hydrants pop up at the old tower bases, usually 3 at each tower. Then they drag hose and guns as needed for the make. Now, with the lift line shifted skier's left, those clusters of hydrants will be out in space in the middle of the trail by themselves. I have hopes they go back to a more traditional hydrant alignment as I always thought coming down Punch then onto RC early season would make the most sense. You don't have to deal with the extended flats on lower Puch to cut back across to the base of the Locke Chair. Of course, now they would have to deal with the base of the T-Bar. But always seemed like the better first TTB route.

Hawk

We will see you there
One year of a Jordan start is a fair price to pay for replacing lift 2.
Parking lot beers will be the rule which i know you and your old cru aren’t afraid of.
Even though I don’t care about the opening first title I know SR management still does. I would be willing to bet that unless there is some weird weather K won’t open “weeks” before SR. At most less than a week and winner gets parking lot beers when you’re there!
I might even be in your ‘hood around NYE.
Hmm, why do I get the feeling that I'm going to have to eat shit from you and MB on opening day when I am wrong. LOL We will see. I hope your right. Killington can be painful early season.

Newpylong

I also thought it was weird they wouldn't go into RC instead of LP day 1.

Can they cover RC from LP if needed to or is the LP pipe on skiers left? I forgot

I wouldn't be surprised if they either dug up the hydrants and cap them before the season or use them and then cap them before opening the trail.

Andrew B.

Can they cover RC from LP if needed to or is the LP pipe on skiers left? I forgot

I wouldn't be surprised if they either dug up the hydrants and cap them before the season or use them and then cap them before opening the trail.
They have been making a lot of snow there after everything else has been blown to create their border cross track. Will they be able to open them up to make that track?

Newpylong

If they cap them, doubtful. Tough to locate under 2 feet of snow. Or they don't open it at all until they do the border cross. They could always put it somewhere else for a year too.

machski

Lower Punch is on skier's left so not really practical. The current RC setup is designed for park builds, not a full trail quickly. Kind t enough hydrants for that. Will be interesting to see what they do with that trail this season. If the new upfeed is going up Agony, likely will go up RC as well so probably will have to wait til the Barker rebuild in 2 summers.

bigbob

Perhaps Boyne is moving toward opening Loon first from their eastern portfolio. They opened alot of terrain early season last year and started from the govenors side.

machski

Perhaps Boyne is moving toward opening Loon first from their eastern portfolio. They opened alot of terrain early season last year and started from the govenors side.
Well, I guess they could be shifting it to Loon, but not out of the West Basin side. That was a one off last year with the work being done to finish the 7 Bros Express, including killing power to the Octagon base for a time during those opening days. They will shift back to East Basin and Higher this year to start.

bigbob

Well, I guess they could be shifting it to Loon, but not out of the West Basin side. That was a one off last year with the work being done to finish the 7 Bros Express, including killing power to the Octagon base for a time during those opening days. They will shift back to East Basin and Higher this year to start.
The top of north Peak was open from West basin as I recall last season when they opened. They had the most acerage open in NE when they opened. Kinda of showing off their snowmaking horsepower.

Riverveteran

You mean its not unusable yet after how many floods they've had in Barker 🤣

My personal opinion is Jordan (and by proxy, Oz given the snowmaking boost) will be the home to end of season skiing and to me, that makes a ton of sense. Don't really need ticketing too much on that end as it is mostly passholders, gives the resort slopeside lodging for those guests who are not locals and you have Slidders and their deck, plus the food truck venue for food/beverage options. Higher elevation for the base and summit holds snow longer and better than Barker can and if they cover all of Oz with manmade again, those runs are a blast in the spring sun and corn. Especially love Eureka in spring bumps, but given they haven't blown a flake on that run in almost a decade, been a while since it held out real late.

But for early season, you really need some type of base lodge and ticketing. Even when we open on just passholder/Ikon days alone, you still need that for passes the do not work/need replacement. And once you open to day tickets and the rest, there is more traffic of those folks early season than late season. Not to mention that with the parking lot situated as is, they must get Lolla open completely to open at Jordan. That run takes a while to lay down cover on its total length and the lower part is a bad angle into the sun for early season to hold snow. If they had direct parking access to the lift base, then Rogue/Excalibur might work ok for quicker early season opens. But unless they really upped the gun count and mixed types (thinking Fan/Impulse alternating) to give a greater throw distance than Impulse alone, that trail will be a drag to an early open.
Did you ski final weekend last year? No food trucks, all closed.

thebigo

The top of north Peak was open from West basin as I recall last season when they opened. They had the most acerage open in NE when they opened. Kinda of showing off their snowmaking horsepower.
they opened with Kanc and north last year because 7 bros was not done. Suspect they go back to gondi base this year for opening, less total snow required. Would be happy opening off east basin with downloading but they tend to wait until more routes are ready.

Hawk

That was the main reason I skipped the late season at SR last year. I could ski that or ski at Sugarbush with live music on the plaza with 3 bars and Steins bumps. This is where SR has missed the mark. They should build a venue at Barker and work on the experience. I mean SR closes each year with a shit ton of snow left. I can't figure that out.

2Planker

Hmmm.... How about doing an Amateur Mogul Contest on Monday Mourning in April.
Pack the Barker Deck
Beers, Music, Food vendors, Swag....
ESPN might even cover it...???

Oh wait..... Never mind

Hawk

You don't have to tell me 2planker. I competed in Bust -n- Burn all but 2 years when I blew out my knee. Made day two even.
That makeshift contest they had failed in comparison to the old days.... and it was not nearly as big as our 3 weekends with multiple live bands. They need to get back to this.IMG_0676.jpgIMG_0678.jpg

2Planker

You don't have to tell me 2planker. I competed in Bust -n- Burn all but 2 years when I blew out my knee. Made day two even.
That makeshift contest they had failed in comparison to the old days.... and it was not nearly as big as our 3 weekends with multiple live bands. They need to get back to this.View attachment 59228View attachment 59229
I was right there w/ ya from B&B #1 in 1989 all the way thru the end....
The Pig was the only place for that. MM never did compare.
Gave Kari Traa a sled ride down when she blew out her knee (after winning Gold in Salt Lake in '02 Olympics)

Hawk

Whoa. No shit. Really fun times. I have a picture of me and Dan Boutet at the Pro Bump grilling and Dan Egan and ESPN intervied us. Wayne Wong crashed at the pro bump that year. Someone yelled out " What's wong Wayne" LOL

They did in on Tempest one year. I did pretty good that year.
There were some really good skier back then. The Langleys, Ben Wheeler, Nate Kimbal Kick ass legacy for Freestyle at SR